EJ Anosike is a Vol

Ok. I’m still trying to figure this one out.
Yes, he will help, but does nothing to deal with major depth issues in the post for the coming years. We’ll lose Pons, Fulk and Anosike.
Throwing this out there. Possible that ORN is not returning and Barnes will sign another post?

Watching his highlights, he has a bit of a Paul Millsap and Richard Hendrix kind of a game, albeit a couple inches shorter than either guy. His ability to rebound and clean up around the basket is what we missed this season and should be a welcomed addition, next year.

As for his effect of Walker, he clearly will take some minutes from him, but that may not be the worst thing for the team. I'd bet Walker, despite adding some good muscle weight since arriving at Hargrave, won't be ready to play 20+ mpg at the 4 spot as a freshman. He is also versatile enough to play the 3 if we elect to go with a bigger lineup, at times. This could push Nkamhoua toward a potential redshirt or possibly a transfer because I see no path for him towards meaningful minutes next season without massive improvement this summer, and he is currently being penalized by not receiving 1-on-1 instruction and drill work with the coaches because of the Covid-19 scare.
Agree 100%, now with EJ I think you can redshirt pember and ORN honestly

Reactions: cncchris33
I think for sure, barring no injury I think you could honestly afford to redshirt even gaines or ORN as well as pember
I thought the same thing. All 3 of those guys were the ones who immediately came to mind. Gaines is the closest to finding a role, and injuries or other circumstances could dictate your ability to RS 3 kids, but they could all use it for one reason or another.

Fulky, Pons, Springer, JJJ, Johnson, Anosike, Vescovi, Bailey, Walker

Scrap mins: Uros, Nkam, Ticket

Redshirt: Pember

That it?

Reactions: njvols
I thought the same thing. All 3 of those guys were the ones who immediately came to mind. Gaines is the closest to finding a role, and injuries or other circumstances could dictate your ability to RS 3 kids, but they could all use it for one reason or another.
Gaines might only get spot minutes at the 3. Not anything meaningful. Pember almost certainly is the best candidate for the redshirt

I’m not sure about ORN because Im not sold on Uros. I think one of them will get some minutes in the post.

Were looking like a top five team just with the players on the next roster. Of course players still have to perform, but this team looks very hard to guard and very tough defensively.

In the long run, Pember red-shirting next year would be the best case scenario, imo. Gaines, also. I don't think Olivier redshirts and could make the biggest improvement from last year to this upcoming year. Well, maybe that's wishful thinking, but if it happens, UT will benefit greatly and I can say, "I told u so".

Really like his scrappiness and use of his body to finish through contact. A mentality similar to Fulky, but with a bigger body to knock defenders out of the way. He and Fulk together are going to be a load down low.

Only issues I saw are of course his height (can he get his shot off against taller defenders?) and a slight case of happy feet. It looked like he traveled in a couple of those plays in the video. Might not be a big deal though.

Anosike seems like he'll be the 6th man off the bench for us. I feel like we potentially have 7 starting caliber players on our team now with Santi, JJJ, Springer, Keon, Pons, Fulkerson, and now Anosike. Two of those are going to have to come off the bench, so I'd imagine Anosike is one and either Santi or JJJ is the other, but it could very well be one of the 5 star freshmen.

As for Walker's minutes, I believe he'll play more SF than PF, at least this year. If you look at his senior highlights, he's gotten a lot more athletic. I think they'll be playing together a lot in a bench unit. Also there's always the possibility of playing Anosike as a small ball 5 at times (he's already the heaviest player on our team).

As for Pember, he's due for a redshirt this year. And with the additions of Walker, Johnson, Bailey, and Springer, I believe Gaines could be also be in line for a redshirt.

In the long run, Pember red-shirting next year would be the best case scenario, imo. Gaines, also. I don't think Olivier redshirts and could make the biggest improvement from last year to this upcoming year. Well, maybe that's wishful thinking, but if it happens, UT will benefit greatly and I can say, "I told u so".
It's wishful thinking without the spring period that allows for drillwork and individual workouts with the coaches.

Nkamhoua or Uros will be playing the backup 5. I'm sure they'll split time at first and whoever does better will be able to get consistent minutes.

Yes, he will help, but does nothing to deal with major depth issues in the post for the coming years. We’ll lose Pons, Fulk and Anosike.
Throwing this out there. Possible that ORN is not returning and Barnes will sign another post?

Uros, Walker, ORN, Pember, Gaines and JJJ all still on the roster and capable of playing post...go ahead and say Gaines and Pember are too skinny, but you are talking 2 years from now and potentially after a redshirt year for both, I think both very well could be small ball 4’s. Obviously no doubt that we need to add at least a post in 2021, but again with the transfer market and Tennessee increasing their attraction they could always dip right back into transfer market.

Well, let's say we could see a transfer and potentially sign Cisse. If he reclassifies and he's a 1-and-done type player, then we are still in the same boat.

So, what you are asking is for us to sign players who aren't ready now, and therefore no threat to leave early, but could develop down the road. Isn't that what we did with Plavsic and Nkamhoua? I mean, rarely are you going to sign a Grant Williams and Admiral Schofield who come in and dominate as young players and stick around 3-4 years. You either sign elite talent and run the risk of heavy roster turnover every year or two, or you sign developmental players who don't contribute much in year 1 and 2. The exceptions are, well, the exceptions, and few and far between.

Hot take prediction.

Gaines plays more minutes than walker next season. His defensive Is heading toward elite and that alone gets him into the rotation imo. He also has a good feel for finding holes and getting himself open at times on offense.

VN Store

Back