EJ Anosike is a Vol

This dude is a man. We are going to have so many different lineups next year it will be ridiculous. While his rebounding and physical play are obvious Barnes is going to have him setting picks all over the floor. Our guards are going to love this guy. And he pairs with Fulkerson nicely by being able to matchup against the more physical opposing players to give Fulkerson a break. Plus Anosike has the potential to spread out bigs as he is at least a threat from 3 pt range. 25-27 minutes per game is probable. Pember you would think will certainly redshirt. Plavsic will get spot minutes. Makes you wonder if Nkamhoua gets a redshirt too.

I see him as a guy that can get from the floor to above the rim in a nano second ....very fast and grab those rebounds coming off the rim and flushing them in one fell swoop.

Liked and agree with your post, but on top of being able to knock down a jumper Walker needs to show the ability to guard his position at this level. I think he will, cause he’s been bought in to Barnes’s style for a while now, so effort shouldn’t be a problem. However Gaines has already shown an ability to guard multiple positions. The biggest factor IMO is Gaines willingness to do whatever is needed, whether it be redshirt or try to guard other teams 4. Why I think Ticket, Pember and ORN should redshirt next year. Jmo

While on the surface it would seem perfect to redshirt 3 I just don’t see that happening, honestly not sure they even redshirt 2 guys.

Reactions: k-town_king
Love this kid's work ethic, instilled by his mom and inspired by Kobe. Should be a lot of fun to watch a team with several relentless, high-energy guys on the court at the same time.

His first summer at Sacred Heart, Anosike's coach told players they needed to make 10,000 shots over the course of the summer. Anosike insisted on taking a Kobe-like approach: he made double that -- and double everyone on the team. The next summer, he upped it to 25,000, continued again last summer and estimates he's made more than 100,000 shots on his own time.

"Constant work ethic, keep getting better and trying to master my craft. I was born in New York, but I was raised in New Jersey. I come from a single-parent household; my mom raised all eight of us by herself. The odds were stacked against us. Kobe, the odds were stacked him. The Celtics had the Big Three, he found a way to win the title. Shaq left, he found a way to win. As I got to college, I started listening to him more and how he got to that level and how he got to be one of the best players ever. I wanted to be a starter, one of the best players on the team, the best player in the conference.

"Before, I wore 24 because I was a Kobe fan who admired him. Everyone had their reasons for their love for Kobe. Now, I embrace the number even more because of what it symbolizes. Twenty-four hours a day you have to be focused on your grind. Now I feel like it's a number -- when people look at me, like, 'He has to be good.' You don't just wear that number. It's similar to the Michael Jordan effect back in the '90s. He has to be good to wear that number. Every day, I have to bring it to prove to myself, to prove to everyone that I'm the best and want to be the best."
More than a number: College players tell their stories about Kobe Bryant inspiring them to wear No. 24

Will he be able to hit an open three is the question.
Yes, imo. As I've said before, the kid lived on the perimeter in high school.

Pember's question marks lie in can he get quick enough to defend on the perimeter, or stronger and more physical enough to defend in the post. This being said, I think a redshirt year would go a long way towards him developing.

Staff wants to keep Pons at the 4, he is by far more effective at that spot...

Vescovi/Bailey
Springer/Johnson
James/Johnson/Gaines
Pons/Anosike
Fulky/Anosike

Leaves Uros, ORN, Pember and Walker...I think you redshirt Pember, obviously Uros can’t, so then it’s Walker or ORN. An idea not many have mentioned would be could Walker get a redshirt? If you feel better about his future than ORN maybe that’s something discussed.

Way too much talk about RS anyone. I can’t come up with any name that RS in the middle of their career and became a solid player that wasn’t a transfer.

OLN, Gaines and pember are transfer candidates down the line and having that RS year in their pocket is important at this point and time.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Pember ain't red-shirting.

Give Drew Pember 6 months in weight room / chow hall, and his new name will be Grew Member.

Actually, I think Drew Pember has the most upside of the three. He is very athletic player for his size, who like Gaines just needs to add weight and muscle. I don't know what his official height is but looking at a picture of him standing next to Zach Kent, he looked a couple inches taller. I think Kent was listed at 6'10.

Love this kid's game. High motor, nice range and super physical. Fits our culture perfectly.

I hope he isn't limited by SEC refs quick whistles and tendency to pick on certain players with ticky-tack fouls. The refs were letting them bang in his highlight video.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
So no springer or Johnson. I can’t buy it

I see it springer-SV-James-Pons and Fulky
I think they'd have to be something special to start day one, particularly with what we have coming back, and the Oregon transfer becoming eligible. I don't doubt they'll be key contributors.

Reactions: jmva1
Way too much talk about RS anyone. I can’t come up with any name that RS in the middle of their career and became a solid player that wasn’t a transfer.

OLN, Gaines and pember are transfer candidates down the line and having that RS year in their pocket is important at this point and time.

Didn’t you recently say transfers would be immediately eligible?

Actually, I think Drew Pember has the most upside of the three. He is very athletic player for his size, who like Gaines just needs to add weight and muscle. I don't know what his official height is but looking at a picture of him standing next to Zach Kent, he looked a couple inches taller. I think Kent was listed at 6'10.
Wrong. Kent was the tallest layer next to Uros.
97EBEB5B-8A06-486F-A38C-701390B1E55E.jpeg

VN Store

Back