Lack of spring practice puts a damper on any quarterback battles

The OK game will decided JG's season at QB. Not sure an inexperience QB could do well at OK in his 1st game but don't think Pruitt would hesitate to replace JG if he goes brain dead in the game. I think JG's time of getting a time-out when he tanks and then coming back a couple of series later are over.

Reactions: butchna and OG.V83
Freak...it's happened for 5 QBs in the past 4 years
Eason and Hurtz in 2016
Had Tua and Frohm in 2017.
2019 had Bo Nix.

Why do we go through this every off-season?? How many times does it need to happen for us to see a Freshman QB can have a huge impact?

Tua and Frohm were early enrollees, I assume they played spring ball?

Good or better overall. Yes. Based on ratings and potential they could be as good or better than a couple of mid to late round picks.

Maybe he won't have to loft them up with so much air if he knows the wrs aren't running in molasses

"wrs aren't running in molasses"?

The same receivers that had to completely stop, turn around, and sometimes actually come back to the often under-thrown ball? They are running in molasses?

The generation of all that cognitive dissonance you have to muster before you post must be exhausting.

Last edited:
It certainly seems like it’s always somebody else’s fault when it comes to JG. Now we’re saying that the heart soul of our football program for the last few years JJ, was slowing down JG ? That’s a brand new take. The coaches don’t call the right plays from the playbook, the wideouts are too slow...There’s only one common denominator here . He has to get better, he needs to lead the team and make people better, not the other around. Personally, I’m rooting for him to make that leap. We all should be in one way or another.

One could easily make the argument they weren’t really good or great because of the guys distributing the football.
I think you might be reaching a little bit now by questioning what many thought was a main strength of our team last season. I don’t think many share the opinion that the wide receiver group let JG down a lot. In fact, I think most see it the other way around. If we’re putting our hopes in a younger, faster group then we need to see some higher levels of manipulating the D, because I don’t think we’ve seen that yet. Those 10 to 25 yard intermediate balls need to be better so that those guys make plays and get some yacs. I don’t think it’s wrong to be skeptical.
Or maybe they physically weren't able to hit a great level of play.

Wrs get drafted in the top three rounds with bad qb play on the team all of the time. JG isn't what is making them mid to late round talents.

We have a couple guys coming in that have potential to be picks in the first two days.

I never said they let him down. They weren't great though. They dropped a lot of passes the last few years and struggled to create separation. He had bad plays. Neither one elevated the other like we all would have liked.

I hadn’t really thought about it until today but not having spring practice has to increase the already high odds that JG is our starting quarterback this year.

A spring quarterback competition ending in an Orange and White Game showdown would have been fun.

3u0v05.jpg

"wrs aren't running in molasses"?

The same receivers that had to completely stop, turn around, and sometimes actually come back to the often under-thrown ball? They are running in molasses?

The generating the all that cognitive dissonance you have to muster before you post must be exhausting.
They were slow af. That is literally a fact that has been proven.

Maybe he floated passes to allow them time to get there and use their strengths to make plays.

Their strengths were going up to win jump balls. Even in scouting reports they have called them jump ball wrs in the NFL.

You have to play to the players talents.

Maybe he floated passes to allow them time to get there and use their strengths to make plays.

Their strengths were going up to win jump balls. Even in scouting reports they have called them jump ball wrs in the NFL.

You should Google 'Occam's razor'.

I just think lack of spring really hurts an incoming freshman quarterback. It seems to me the chances of seeing him get any meaningful playing time took a nosedive when it was all cancelled.

Who knows, maybe we’ll see an extended fall practice allowance or something. I’m not counting on it though.
We're talking about him being able to unseat JG though. The layoff is not helping him either, and he hasn't exactly been one of our better QBs over the last few years, or couple of decades, or ever either.

But this may all be a worthless conversation if we can't get back to normal soon.

Poor play is never JGs fault. Its been multiple OCs. Poor OLine..now slow WR.

At what point does it stop

Reactions: 1vol8
Poor play is never JGs fault. Its been multiple OCs. Poor OLine..now slow WR.

At what point does it stop
What are you trying to prove here? Do you understand team sports or do you not understand at all? In '17 and '18 we did not have a single position group that was top half of the conference, most were bottom 3. Every single position grouping including QB played major roles in those 2 years being some of the worst years in Tn history. Every groups bad play affected other position groups level of play making for a bad football team. '19 was the 1st time in 3 seasons that we had top half of the league talent at a few position groupings as we had top half talent at LB, Secondary, Special teams, and borderline top half SEC talent at DL, WRs and QB (whether you like him or not his stats, production and wins place him top half last year). We produced 8, should have been 10, wins last season with a very scattered roster and with JG playing the majority of the snaps at QB. In '20 we will have top half talent at OL, QB, DL, LB, DB and special teams (I think RB could be top half in '20) and could possibly have top 3 groups at OL, DL, LB, Secondary and Special teams. It's not unrealistic I believe to think that each position group will improve simply because the rest of the team around them has improved. There is no reason for me to believe that we will not be improved at nearly every phase of the team next year, including being better at the WR position, and could be in for a special 10+ win season with JG at QB which in turn will catapult us into the Harrison Bailey era of hopefully SEC championships and more. The fact that you've given up on VFL Guarantano doesn't mean anything at all, especially if the head football coach keeps running him out there.

That makes sense. For freshmen QB's, you don't know what you don't know. I am wondering if JG was greatly assisted by #1 and #15 because of their ability to catch passes and will suffer without them OR was their lack of blazing speed hampering JG and with faster receivers he will be greatly improved?

Can a team win the east with a freshman QB? Maybe, but the odds would be low.

JG couldn't properly lead his slow receivers.

Reactions: preacherwebb

LOL! I'm starting to gain a new appreciation for you, k-town_king. During this period of working from home, I appreciate your ability to make me literally laugh out loud with your special brand of BS.

Last edited:

So in other words you’re saying Shrout and Maurer SHOULD have under thrown theirs as well?

Well, you could look at it like this too:

Bailey gets even more time to get into the playbook, and build strength, and then if they DO add practices onto the beginning of fall practice, it could be really good for all of the quarterbacks. The continuity going into the season could be good.

It’s like y’all have a QB thread bat signal and meet up and post from a script.

It’s not that difficult. Every thread quickly ends up being about JG. Just imagine. If we actually get a starting QB worth a damn, this problem will go away.

You knew you were in for it on this thread. The whole thread was directed toward arguing about our QB. This one is clearly on Freak.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
No spring practice means no improvement for JG and a small window of coaching before the season starts. Let that sink in.

It’s not that difficult. Every thread quickly ends up being about JG. Just imagine. If we actually get a starting QB worth a damn, this problem will go away.
17 years on here has taught me that it will never go away. Arguing about QBs is like breathing for a message board.

A lot of people keep saying that eventually Bailey will take over at some point during the season. The more i keep seeing this the more it has a Clausen feel to it. Obviously it has its differences. Matthews and Suggs were not really established starters like JG kind of is, and hopefully Bailey doesn’t have any elbow issues in the future like Clausen did. If that really does happen is that the same as conceding losses to OU and UF if in fact the coaches think Bailey is the better player, but they don’t want to shatter his confidence in Norman or against the Gators?

I thought Bailey was going to beat him out in like 2 weeks so why does it matter? (Blue font)

So in other words you’re saying Shrout and Maurer SHOULD have under thrown theirs as well?
They should have thrown accurate passes and not threw a ton of interceptions. That is what they should have done. Instead they were an abysmal 48.1% for Shrout and a absolute horror show at 46.7% for Maurer with interceptions that more than doubled tds.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
They should have thrown accurate passes and not threw a ton of interceptions. That is what they should have done. Instead they were an abysmal 48.1% for Shrout and a absolute horror show at 46.7% for Maurer with interceptions that more than doubled tds.
Just stop..... you’re making a fool of yourself........again.

That makes sense. For freshmen QB's, you don't know what you don't know. I am wondering if JG was greatly assisted by #1 and #15 because of their ability to catch passes and will suffer without them OR was their lack of blazing speed hampering JG and with faster receivers he will be greatly improved?

Can a team win the east with a freshman QB? Maybe, but the odds would be low.

That line of thought does make a man stop and wonder,good post

VN Store

Back