Coronavirus (No politics)

I am also a prepper, and have close to a year's worth of freeze dried and canned food stored, not to mention ammo, medicine, and water. I also had N95 level masks on hand because I do woodwork, so use varnishes, so always had a need for the masks. But I don't know that I would call being prepared for disasters "selfish". I would certainly not run out today and buy up all the read, toilet paper, and hand sanitizer I could find, but I think it makes sense to slowly build up your supplies of basic needs to keep your family alive and healthy through a long term crisis. I also have a vegetable garden, and although I don't do canning, I have a lady friend who does can, so she cans vegetables for me in exchange for work around the house I do for her.

When I lived on the Florida coast most of the oldtimers I knew were always prepared because they had survived multiple hurricanes and have been through weeks without electricity and bare shelves in stores, so it had gotten me to thinking could I ensure my loved ones' survival with just keeping enough food, medicine, and other basic necessities to get me through a week or two longer than my weekly trips to the grocery? In most cases here in Tennessee, probably yes, although the recent tornadoes here in mid-Tn reminds us we can easily be without power for weeks, and will not be able to easily maintain perishable food. But it is the real catastrophes that we prep for. Same reason we purchase major health insurance plans. We can pay for trips to the doctor for boo boos out of pocket; but it is the catastrophic illness that could break the bank. I take the same approach with providing the basic needs for my loved ones.

Prepping can certainly be expensive when you go to the store and buy 2 of something, knowing you are going to put 1 item away, and possibly never, ever use it, and it also takes a lot of storage space to put back lots of supplies, so it is definitely a decision that has to be weighed, and you have to look at the pros and cons of it, and if you do choose to do it you have to decide how long you think you want to prep for. I laugh at myself sometimes because I originally started off thinking I needed to be able to keep us going for at least a month, but slowly increased my supplies until I ran out of storage room for more. And admittedly at times I have thought is this really necessary?

But the truth is it almost becomes an addiction because you are always thinking do I have enough of this? Enough of that? Oh well.
Are you considering donating a few N95 masks to your local medical facilities if they run out of inventory which is very likely at this point in time? I’m not stating giving all to them.

Reactions: Hoosier_Vol
Can you give me one?

Manufacturing: Big 3 in Detroit. Toyota in Georgetown just extended theirs 10 days.

If you want outside if the auto industry, give me about 5 minutes and I’ll find several more. Probably even some extraction work if I look.

I could argue more than a few tertiary sectors fit that. Non-affected healthcare sections. Banking and legal activities (even if they didn’t shut down, they spent considerable funds quickly shifting to remote work.) Several governments and their agencies have done the same.

I’d even go so far as to include education and research.

Reactions: AM64
Manufacturing: Big 3 in Detroit. Toyota in Georgetown just extended theirs 10 days.

If you want outside if the auto industry, give me about 5 minutes and I’ll find several more. Probably even some extraction work if I look.

I could argue more than a few tertiary sectors fit that. Non-affected healthcare sections. Banking and legal activities (even if they didn’t shut down, they spent considerable funds quickly shifting to remote work.) Several governments and their agencies have done the same.

I’d even go so far as to include education and research.

Stopped because of foot traffic. No one was walking into car lots to buy cars.

Stopped because of foot traffic. No one was walking into car lots to buy cars.

I’d contend it’s not that simple or quick in the auto industry as far as shutting down assembly lines...and that a company as conservative and fanatical as Toyota would NEVER make a decision that quick based on “foot traffic”, but whatever.

And the rest?

I’d contend it’s not that simple or quick in the auto industry as far as shutting down assembly lines...and that a company as conservative and fanatical as Toyota would NEVER make a decision that quick based on “foot traffic”, but whatever.

And the rest?

Whatever? You cant just keep making cars for weeks on end when no one is buying them.

I've yet to see an example from you that isn't related to the world hunkering down in their basements.

Reactions: 508mikey
Whatever? You cant just keep making cars for weeks on end when no one is buying them.

I've yet to see an example from you that isn't related to the world hunkering down in their basements.

Until the UAW got involved, the Big 3 intended to do just that. They were only going to close for a day.

I was providing sectors of the economy that don’t depend on “foot traffic”. Are you contending the entire economy depends on foot traffic?

Finally got 2 confirmed cases in my county and people are officially freaking out here, but still going to Walmart and Sams today and standing side by side and not following a 6ft distance. I’m sure there will be more confirmed cases coming in the next few days. I bought 14 N95 masks off Amazon a month ago before they went out of stock so I’m def wearing one to work Monday.

Reactions: DynaLo
Finally got 2 confirmed cases in my county and people are officially freaking out here, but still going to Walmart and Sams today and standing side by side and not following a 6ft distance. I’m sure there will be more confirmed cases coming in the next few days. I bought 14 N95 masks off Amazon a month ago before they went out of stock so I’m def wearing one to work Monday.
Smh

(10) 3/21: Today is the first day I have not felt sick since 3/12. I am no where near 100% but I at least do not feel physically sick. I still have a little shortness of breath when walking from my basement to the upstairs and a little scratchy chest a little bit after. So I was in good spirits until they moved the expected delivery of my wine from Tuesday until Wednesday. Now I am pissed off because even rationing it my supply runs out Tuesday. I might have to call in a favor. No test results. Symptoms: slight shortness of breath and scratchy chest.

Kabota has 2 factories in our area. The one in Jefferson found out yesterday that a sick employee had tested positive, and shut down. I'm sure others there will end up with it because the person had worked with them before they got to sick to work.

What are you going to do with the ones you do not need? Let acquaintances, family, friends or front line medical professionals use them if needed ?

It will be a miracle if we avoid a depression, is my current feeling.

If we sink into a depression because people aren't going to movies, eating out, sitting in bars, going to Disney, etc, we've got real problems. That's a false economy built on moving money around. None of it is about actually producing something and gaining wealth by doing so. And hawking consumer goods from China isn't any way to make a living either.

irresponsible.

I went for a drive along the bay and to a couple of stores rumored to have hand sanitizer and TP....none did...there were ppl everywhere...walking their dogs riding bikes....boats out in the bay and ppl fishing
And that’s why this will continue to spread like wildfire

Why are you buying N95 masks? Do you work in the health field?

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Went to the store today and things were much calmer than last weekend. Stock was still low on some stuff. But Ingles in Colonial Heights wasn't outright out of anything. From my mid week trip, Food City seems to be getting things stocked faster than Ingles. But that isn't suprising with a distribution center in Abingdon. Folks were keeping thier distance and the cashiers were wearing gloves. But it was a normal store trip other than that.

Seems like things are calming down here a bit. We've only got 4 cases in the region though. We've had it pretty easy so far. We'll see what happens if the number of cases jump. Hopefully warm weather affects this like the flu and we can get back to normal in a few weeks...with some better hygiene habits intact.

VN Store

Back