Latest Coronavirus - Yikes

I don't think we are in total disagreement here, and I am really not wanting to engage in silly squabbles during this crisis.

If you keep making up strawman positions and attributing them to me without any basis in anything I've ever said, I'm sure you can totally make your self feel better, but it won't get you the proof you need for your extreme assertions about 1,000s of cases in January. If you provide that proof, then I will be in total agreement with you.

I change my mind based on contradictory evidence.

Obviously, our day zero is somewhat earlier than our current first confirmed case and our testing was slow to ramp up. That is exactly why I'm trying to look at the daily cases to try and get the actual picture of where we are. If we had great surveillance of the virus from the beginning, then I would just use those numbers as they would already be solid.

On the other hand, if we had thousands of cases in January we would be in a very stark place right now. That is just basic math.
Have you considered variance in lead time of test processing? That laboratories may get behind or not have consistent productivity?

Ralph Northam, gov of Virginia, just suspended some educational requirements and limitations to testing to get nurses, NPs and NCPs into the field faster.
I just told my wife what you said and she said that was moronic and that people will die . Seems awfully reckless.

I don't think we are in total disagreement here, and I am really not wanting to engage in silly squabbles during this crisis.

If you keep making up strawman positions and attributing them to me without any basis in anything I've ever said, I'm sure you can totally make your self feel better, but it won't get you the proof you need for your extreme assertions about 1,000s of cases in January. If you provide that proof, then I will be in total agreement with you.

I change my mind based on contradictory evidence.

Obviously, our day zero is somewhat earlier than our current first confirmed case and our testing was slow to ramp up. That is exactly why I'm trying to look at the daily cases to try and get the actual picture of where we are. If we had great surveillance of the virus from the beginning, then I would just use those numbers as they would already be solid.

On the other hand, if we had thousands of cases in January we would be in a very stark place right now. That is just basic math.

I can’t provide the proof because we didn’t have the testing infrastructure in place. We still don’t in adequate amounts. Did I say we absolutely had 1000’s of cases in January? Go back and read what I said again.

Your last paragraph is fear mongering, it just is. You can’t say that with any more certainty than I can about having 1000’s of cases in January. If you can, I’m open to your proof. Right now you have statistics that are severely limited by an inadequate number of tests and skewed by testing more cases toward the severe end and not in equal amounts toward the mild end. If this thing spreads like you and others want to say, then there is no reason not to believe it has been here longer and infected more people then what you are showing with your numbers.

I’m all about numbers and statistics, it’s my job. But any model is limited by its inputs. Garbage in garbage out.

At the end of the day you can’t have it both ways. Either this thing spreads significantly faster than the Flu or it has only been here a few weeks.

Reactions: 37L1
I don’t agree with him doing this. Leads to liability and legal issues down the road along with general nursing issues
I read the notice they sent me. I can see a few problems with this.
He lifted the 90 day NCLEX rule so a student can retest when they feel they are ready. I think that's non problematic. Taking a 2 year RN, pushing them out of the last semester early is a problem. Most schools stopped allowing students to even care for any isolation pts in January, some schools are even being kicked out of their clinical environment. If he softened requirements any further as far as state accreditation of nursing requirements, that's gonna be a very sticky problem. I work with several instructors that this will affect and listened to student nurses voice their concerns over it about a week ago.

My sister, in Indiana, is doing all her lectures online and has concerns as she instructs the critical care semester. That's definitely a hands on teaching semester. The state said further guidance is coming in Indiana where she instructs. I have not seen that guidance from that state.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I'm impressed by what I've heard from Andrew Cuomo addressing this issues. His straight talk has been refreshing and unexpected.

I read the notice they sent me. I can see a few problems with this.
He lifted the 90 day NCLEX rule so a student can retest when they feel they are ready. I think that's non problematic. Taking a 2 year RN, pushing them out of the last semester early is a problem. Most schools stopped allowing students to even care for any isolation pts in January, some schools are even being kicked out of their clinical environment. If he softened requirements any further as far as state accreditation of nursing requirements, that's gonna be a very sticky problem. I work with several instructors that this will affect and listened to student nurses voice their concerns over it about a week ago.

My sister, in Indiana, is doing all her lectures online and has concerns as she instructs the critical care semester. That's definitely a hands on teaching semester. The state said further guidance is coming in Indiana where she instructs. I have not seen that guidance from that state.
Joint commission and state complaint reviews will lead to serious issues weeks from now with these nurses. They are just not going to be waiving their requirements nationally

Well, I've been on a positive note since this virus started up. Now, I'm starting to feel depressed....just got back from Kroger a minute ago and there's nothing to buy. Everything is pretty much gone. I came home w/2 baking potatoes and a banana also some lunch meat.....all that cost was a little over $6.00 The stock clerks can't keep things on the shelves because people buy it all up whether they need it now or not. No milk or coffee cream.......lots of bread and chips & soda drinks galore.

Growing up on a farm where we ate the chickens in the back yard, the venison in the freezer, and from the mason jars on the back porch, it is sad to see how tied people are to the grocery store.

We’d get to Murville about every other month back then and lot of what my Mom needed was baking and canning ingredients. And lots of Crisco.

VN Store

Back