Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you see the where the average age of the people who have died in Italy was 81? That's just a crazy number and it may be why college kids are on spring break in Florida. No fear.
I didn’t. I knew it was affecting the elderly much more severely, as well as the immunocompromised. I’ve just been picking up bits and pieces here and there that I see posted on Facebook, or even on here for that matter, as well as talking to people out and about with my job. I am torn honestly as to how to react to this whole situation. Every time that I want to start getting a little nervous and overreacting, I think about the morbidity rate of the swine flu 10 years ago… Around 20% which is ludicrous! And that didn’t even account for unconfirm cases. Out of 60 million cases, 17,000 died. I think about those numbers and then the numbers from the seasonal flu this year, which are also astronomical, and all of that makes me want to start thinking that we are really overreacting about this. Since I am an equine veterinarian, my days have not really changed, because thankfully God has blessed us and we are staying super busy! I am washing and sanitizing my hands after every call, we are keeping distance from our clients as much as we can, no handshakes or anything like that. I’m trying to do my part to limit exposure. Sometimes I feel like I am under reacting because I am out and about working all day, but I also feel that it is much better to be outside in the fresh air with this virus versus inside.

Link please
Google it. The people in the store didn't try to stop the fight, they just took their cell phones and recorded it. Security finally broke it up and they were carted out on a gurney. One of the guys was riding one of those scooters and bumped into the other guys cart---then crap hit the fan :):)

I can't really respond to everyone individually right now, but I thank you all for your thoughts, prayers and well wishes. I would like to share with you all my mother's last lucid words, which were to me last Sunday as I was leaving to go back to Harlan. She struggled to get the words out, but I will never ever ever forget them..

"There is a brighter day..Everything is going to be alright" ❤❤❤

I thank God for my faith which tells me that what she said is an absolute certainty, not just a possibility.

Except 98% of cases are not yet resolved in the US (recovered/discharged/dead).

Out of 362 closed cases in the US - 237 died (65%). NOT saying this is the mortality rate. Not at all. Only an example to how ineffective calculating a mortality rate can be right now. Is using closed cases best? Unlikely, too little volume of data and mild cases have not been reported at all. Is using total open cases best? Unlikely, it takes weeks to resolve. There is no best answer here.

On one hand - there are only 372 closed cases out of 18,393 total. How many more will die before having a resolution? This thing can take something like 2 weeks to fully resolve. 59% of open cases have come only within the last 5 days.

On the other hand- how many infected were never tested and not included in the denominator at all? Likely a great number of people.

Last "what if" - how many died, but did not have an autopsy to reveal it was COVID. I'd say it is likely not many, jmo. But how many very poor or rural or stubborn individuals passed away at home without ever knowing the cause? It will happen as well.

At this point it just seems a little disingenuous for the twitter account to act like there is a solved mortality rate for the U.S., when most cases won't be resolved for weeks. Once you have a large number of cases that have ran their course, then maybe you can at least begin to extrapolate some range for the mortality rate.

NOT that a 1% mortality rate is anything to scoff at. Significantly worse than the common flu, by an order of magnitude of 1.

Last edited:
Bad flu kills elderly and people in bad health. The issue isn't that it poses a huge mortal threat to the general population. It's that if unchecked it would legitimately threaten to wipe out millions of people (elderly and people in bad health, along with a not insignificant number of young healthy people), with a huge number of those illnesses/deaths occurring within a very short timeframe. Healthcare facilities would be completely overloaded, leaving people to die at home with no care whatsoever. Hence the flatten the curve goal. It's still going to spread, but if the spread can be managed and spaced out, the survival rates will be much higher.

Don’t know why people don’t get this. It’s about timing, not necessarily mortality rates.

Did they give you things to do from home? PT is different for all, but when I had back issues it was 2 or 3 visits and then "here's everything we've been doing, keep doing them on your own" sort of thing. If your regimen included special items, maybe you could order them online and keep going.
Several of the exercises I can and have been doing from home on days I don't go in. The things I don't have and will miss the most are the leg press machine I lay on and build strength in the legs and the bike-type machine I pump building strength, endurance and flexibility.

Let’s have a different take on it... what are some positives in your life since Corvid-19 hit?

I’m spending more time with my wife and kids. I’m spending less on gas and toilet paper
Good idea.

I have plenty of parking spot options now. Usually our entire block would be filled to the brim right now with tourists going to the breweries on a Friday night and now it is like a ghost town. It's a bit eerie sitting here looking over The Funkatorium and nothing but a few workers inside. So strange, but happy with the parking. No complaints there.

And luckily the breweries are still doing takeout orders if you message them, in case I get the urge from feeling like Jack Torrance being cooped up here all day.

Good idea.

I have plenty of parking spot options now. Usually our entire block would be filled to the brim right now with tourists going to the breweries on a Friday night and now it is like a ghost town. It's a bit eerie sitting here looking over The Funkatorium and nothing but a few workers inside. So strange, but happy with the parking. No complaints there.

I enjoy good beer. Just couldn’t get into what they serve at the Funkatorium.

I enjoy good beer. Just couldn’t get into what they serve at the Funkatorium.
I can completely understand that. It's a bit of a fringe menu, though I think they now serve 2-3 "normies" from Wicked Weed's main menu. I am the same way with stouts...just can't do it.

Reactions: VolGee4
I can't really respond to everyone individually right now, but I thank you all for your thoughts, prayers and well wishes. I would like to share with you all my mother's last lucid words, which were to me last Sunday as I was leaving to go back to Harlan. She struggled to get the words out, but I will never ever ever forget them..

"There is a brighter day..Everything is going to be alright" ❤❤❤

I thank God for my faith which tells me that what she said is an absolute certainty, not just a possibility.
That is something you will never ever forget as long as you are sound of mind and the words she spoke in such a heart-wrenching situation are so so true. God bless you and your family sir.

Did you see the video of the two guys fighting with wine bottles about a week ago somewhere in Georgia. They started hitting each other with wine bottles and when they broke, they started cutting each other. Crazy stuff going on right now. They carted both the guys off to the hospital and then to jail to be booked.

Was it over tp, or just 2 guys in drunken wine stupors fighting? Reason I ask, I bartended years ago in some pretty wild nightclubs and usually sometime late in the evening you could count on a couple of drunks going at each other with whatever they could get their hands on.

Except 98% of cases are not yet resolved in the US (recovered/discharged/dead).

Out of 362 closed cases in the US - 237 died (65%). NOT saying this is the mortality rate. Not at all. Only an example to how ineffective calculating a mortality rate can be right now. Is using closed cases best? Unlikely, too little volume of data and mild cases have not been reported at all. Is using total open cases best? Unlikely, it takes weeks to resolve. There is no best answer here.

On one hand - there are only 372 closed cases out of 18,393 total. How many more will die before having a resolution? This thing can take something like 2 weeks to fully resolve. 59% of open cases have come only within the last 5 days.

On the other hand- how many infected were never tested and not included in the denominator at all? Likely a great number of people.

Last "what if" - how many died, but did not have an autopsy to reveal it was COVID. I'd say it is likely not many, jmo. But how many very poor or rural or stubborn individuals passed away at home without ever knowing the cause? It will happen as well.

At this point it just seems a little disingenuous for the twitter account to act like there is a solved mortality rate for the U.S., when most cases won't be resolved for weeks. Once you have a large number of cases that have ran their course, then maybe you can at least begin to extrapolate some range for the mortality rate.

NOT that a 1% mortality rate is anything to scoff at. Significantly worse than the common flu, by an order of magnitude of 1.
Not sure why you're taking such an issue with it now... the media and others have been using this same formula to communicate fatality rates for weeks. This is largely what was leading to such initial concerns with the "high" fatality rate.

Reactions: OrangenSC
Did you see the video of the two guys fighting with wine bottles about a week ago somewhere in Georgia. They started hitting each other with wine bottles and when they broke, they started cutting each other. Crazy stuff going on right now. They carted both the guys off to the hospital and then to jail to be booked.
It was in Hiram. 6 miles from my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back