Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since we're talking about curves a lot these days...I remember seeing a YT video about the affection/bond parents feel towards newborns and how it differs between men and women. The woman's graph started very high and tended to stay high. Men's started almost as high off the bat but immediately dropped to low levels for many months, maybe even a year or years. But it slowly crept up over time and reached near women levels after 3+ years.

We are wired differently, but realize your feelings will probably grow over time.
Yeah it’s a chore right now.

No one thinks it’s a hoax but it is being talked about like it’s the Black Plague when in reality it’s like a bad flu

Bad flu kills elderly and people in bad health. The issue isn't that it poses a huge mortal threat to the general population. It's that if unchecked it would legitimately threaten to wipe out millions of people (elderly and people in bad health, along with a not insignificant number of young healthy people), with a huge number of those illnesses/deaths occurring within a very short timeframe. Healthcare facilities would be completely overloaded, leaving people to die at home with no care whatsoever. Hence the flatten the curve goal. It's still going to spread, but if the spread can be managed and spaced out, the survival rates will be much higher.

Bad flu kills elderly and people in bad health. The issue isn't that it poses a huge mortal threat to the general population. It's that if unchecked it would legitimately threaten to wipe out millions of people (elderly and people in bad health, along with a not insignificant number of young healthy people), with a huge number of those illnesses/deaths occurring within a very short timeframe. Healthcare facilities would be completely overloaded, leaving people to die at home with no care whatsoever. Hence the flatten the curve goal. It's still going to spread, but if the spread can be managed and spaced out, the survival rates will be much higher.
Huh? The mortality rate is really really low. We will be okay

My bad. Forgot we were in the middle of a world war and that medicine has gone backwards 100 years

Those were definitely aggravating circumstances at that time. Aggravating circumstances at present are that a person can go around asymptomatic and undiagnosed for days/weeks unknowingly spreading the virus.

Do I think we will recover? Yes. Do I think some will use this to give the government more power over our daily lives? They will try, but I hope people recognize that for what it is and put a halt to it.

I also used to think it was overblown until last Thursday. Then when Trump began to suggest shutting things down and entities like Disney World and the NBA flushed billions down the drain by doing just that, I began to take notice. If only one party were issuing warnings, I would remain skeptical too. This is coming from both parties. Peoples’ lives are at stake. This is no joke.

Those were definitely aggravating circumstances at that time. Aggravating circumstances at present are that a person can go around asymptomatic and undiagnosed for days/weeks unknowingly spreading the virus.

Do I think we will recover? Yes. Do I think some will use this to give the government more power over our daily lives? They will try, but I hope people recognize that for what it is and put a halt to it.

I also used to think it was overblown until last Thursday. Then when Trump began to suggest shutting things down and entities like Disney World and the NBA flushed billions down the drain by doing just that, I began to take notice. If only one party were issuing warnings, I would remain skeptical too. This is coming from both parties. Peoples’ lives are at stake. This is no joke.
Again I think lawsuits drove that stuff getting shut down. If players/visitors got sick they could sue for a lot of money. Easier to just shut it down and avoid bad PR

Reactions: bullet20
330,000,000 people * 33% cases * 1% mortality = ~1.1M dead
330,000,000 people * 71% cases * 1% mortality = ~2.3M dead

33% and 71% is the range for herd immunity based on R0 of 1.5 to 3.5, the estimates I've seen.

1% is the current rate in Korea. That could increase since they still have 7k cases outstanding. Given the aggressive testing done there, I doubt the cases are understated.

It isn't overblown.

33% and 71% is the range for herd immunity based on R0 of 1.5 to 3.5, the estimates I've seen.

1% is the current rate in Korea. That could increase since they still have 7k cases outstanding. Given the aggressive testing done there, I doubt the cases are understated.

It isn't overblown.
SK has a low rate due to being fairly healthy. Italy had terrible rates due to being elderly and smoking. The US has its share general health issues, mild smoking, but mainly obesity and diabetes. Hopefully obesity does not turn out to be a major correlator here.

But immediate death rates are the least of concerns, seemingly the main point many are skipping over.

Reactions: SSVol

It isn't overblown.
It’s amazing people don’t understand this.

Italy just reported 600+ deaths in 24 hours. They have an amazing healthcare system, and more hospital beds per capita than here.

SK has a low rate due to being fairly healthy. Italy had terrible rates due to being elderly and smoking. The US has its share general health issues, mild smoking, but mainly obesity and diabetes. Hopefully obesity does not turn out to be a major correlator here.

But immediate death rates are the least of concerns, seemingly the main point many are skipping over.

SK also has a low rate because they got ahead of it and didn't overwhelm the system. Those numbers triple if the system breaks.

Kids are not worth it.
You were a kid once… What if your parents said this about you? Quit talking out of your butt, and be thankful that God blessed you with that bundle of joy. You have no idea the heartaches many people go through trying to just have one, much less having many, And you have no idea how much it hurts these people to see those who have children so easily. It’s infuriating to see those like you make horrible comments like the above. If you don’t want to be an awesome father to your child, then give it up for adoption to a whole host of people who would make outstanding parents for him/her.

Saw this in the FF and I know we're all starved for anything Vol football. Seems he's an OU guy, but quite knowledgeable about our team (despite mispronouncing JG and throwing shade on HB) and respectful of our ability. Really only goes into OU def vs UT off.

I work from home and haven't gone anywhere since exposure. No contact with anyone except my wife. Family lives in TN and I'm in NC. Would a test even show anything at this point? I was "symptomatic" (mild sore throat) ~2 weeks ago.
If it's been two weeks and you're not sick, you probably lucked out. My wife and I take our temperature 2 to 3 times a day because fever is a warning sign. Just stay home and avoid any outside contact if you can. Take care bud.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
Dammit I still have 4 weeks of twice per week Physical Therapy to get on my hip replacement and the PT dept at the hospital here just called me and are calling all current patients that the dept. is shutting down effective today for 8 weeks. This sucks. By the way this is Vanderbilt Wilson County East here in Lebanon. 2 more cases here reported today in Wilson.

You were a kid once… What if your parents said this about you? Quit talking out of your butt, and be thankful that God blessed you with that bundle of joy. You have no idea the heartaches many people go through trying to just have one, much less having many, And you have no idea how much it hurts these people to see those who have children so easily. It’s infuriating to see those like you make horrible comments like the above. If you don’t want to be an awesome father to your child, then give it up for adoption to a whole host of people who would make outstanding parents for him/her.
they probably did because babies suck balls

Remember it is BGS 😉 He havin some fun even if he won't admit it

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back