Sabrina Ionescu

GameTime

I just watched a replay of Sabrina Ionescue, and Oregon, destroy Stanford by around 35 points....This girl is the greatest guard player I have seen, since Diana Taurasi (I know, but Taurasi was great)....

The cancellation of the Big Dance had to hit her very hard.....She is FABULOUS!
Ionescu_vs_CSUB-1484446104.jpeg

I wanted to see South Caro!in and Oregon get stomped by UT or both beaten in the first round along with Baylor and UConn by big underdogs. I want to see a lower ranked team win it all sometime. I want a tourney where none of the number 1 seeds make it to the final four.
I was looking forward to the men's tourney because your typical 1 seeds, Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, were not going to be 1 seeds and the tourney was wide upen.
I guess I almost always want to see the underdog win unless they are playing UT. Lately UT has been the underdog in these big games, would be really nice.to see them upset some teams.

Last edited:
One thing that stood out, while watching Oregon dismantle Stanford, and the next game, dismantle Oregon State, was how hard they pass the ball to each other with their 2 handed over head passes....I didn't see one Oregon player fumble a pass...

Our post players couldn't catch many passes, unless they were lobbed to them....That alone led to turnovers and so many missed opportunities to score...

If we had to play them in the Big Dance, we could of easily lost by 40 or more...It would have been great theater seeing them against S Carolina....
53RKXYIHG5GWJBHVANWD5EW32Q.jpg

Game Time: The ability to catch and score Difficult Passes is (cliche coming) the difference between two points and a turnover. Coach Jumper was commenting on improving offensive post play and catching and scoring is essential. And if one was applying baseball type statistics the ability to react and adjust to a difficult entry pass at the excellent level versus the average player is probably something like two-tenths of a second. We observed it this year on fast break passes, but not from the posts.

Sabrina was on another level from her peers, her skills on passing , shooting,and rebounding was matched with a highly competitive mentality. She would probably call it the ' Mamba mentality ' accredited to Kobe , her mentor.
She will transcends the WNBA as she appears to be the embodiment of a special kind of TEAM player.

Sabrina was on another level from her peers, her skills on passing , shooting,and rebounding was matched with a highly competitive mentality. She would probably call it the ' Mamba mentality ' accredited to Kobe , her mentor.
She will transcends the WNBA as she appears to be the embodiment of a special kind of TEAM player.
Who do you like better Sabrina or Della Donne. Just for WNBA not college.

I'd take Sabrina and win a few championships with her as my featured player....She is the BEST!

Viva La Mystics all the way! Until you see her in person you don’t realize how much of a beast Delle Donne is. She makes it look effortless too. I am biased but I also thought so when I went to the Mystics games when she played with the sky.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcannon1
Game Time: The ability to catch and score Difficult Passes is (cliche coming) the difference between two points and a turnover. Coach Jumper was commenting on improving offensive post play and catching and scoring is essential. And if one was applying baseball type statistics the ability to react and adjust to a difficult entry pass at the excellent level versus the average player is probably something like two-tenths of a second. We observed it this year on fast break passes, but not from the posts.

A post has to call for the pass they want otherwise they get the pass the passer wants to give.
Communication is "key" (pun intended.

When I run my passing drill called "gathers" I have the recipient call for the pass they want using their hand position...Hand down=bounce pass,,hand straight out=straight pass,,,finger up=Lob.

As well you have to teach the passer how to make each pass:
A bounce pass can be a direct-bounce or a hovering-bounce (there is a difference in the release point for these two variations).
A direct pass can be any variation(chest, bounce, overhead, etc.., but has to be a strongly sent pass)
A Lob isn't a pass at all, it is a "shot" to the position of the hand/finger

The coach has to work with both, post and passers in unison,,,it can't be perfected unless done in tandem.

Hi, Lucy!
Given the confines of comparison - with Sabrina having no WNBA reference - we can only speculate. Nonetheless, a very interesting question.
I so wanted Delle Donne at Tennessee, and some (including the uconners) with better memories could verify, but I think we were her second option. In the end, she was IMO the one player who likely delivers a couple more titles for The Great One. Oh well.
For my two cents, Delle Donnne is up there with Candace, Chamique, Cheryl Miller, Nancy Lieberman, and very, very few others. She can do anything offensively, and from what I recall (I don't see much WNBA) she's a pretty good defender with shot blocker skills. Her illness has likely kept her statistics lower, but still, she's a phenomenal player.
There's obviously no way to know, yet, what Sabrina will do, but her staggering college numbers suggest she's a Hammon/Taurasi combo. That's skeery good.

Reactions: Rixxx
Hi, Lucy!
Given the confines of comparison - with Sabrina having no WNBA reference - we can only speculate. Nonetheless, a very interesting question.
I so wanted Delle Donne at Tennessee, and some (including the uconners) with better memories could verify, but I think we were her second option. In the end, she was IMO the one player who likely delivers a couple more titles for The Great One. Oh well.
For my two cents, Delle Donnne is up there with Candace, Chamique, Cheryl Miller, Nancy Lieberman, and very, very few others. She can do anything offensively, and from what I recall (I don't see much WNBA) she's a pretty good defender with shot blocker skills. Her illness has likely kept her statistics lower, but still, she's a phenomenal player.
There's obviously no way to know, yet, what Sabrina will do, but her staggering college numbers suggest she's a Hammon/Taurasi combo. That's skeery good.

Hi, Lucy!
Howdy K!
I think I would have to go with Della. I agree she is in that pantheon of WNBA greats. And think about this. She did not hone her craft by playing in a super competitive college conference. She is just that naturally good. Glad she left UConn!

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN

Delle Donne is more gifted offensively but Sabrina plays with a lot more fire/energy. Probably edge to Sabrina if I could draft one coming out of college. She's a great player to build a franchise around. I think it may take a little time to adjust to the pro game but she'll excel in a pick and roll offense and is going to be a tremendous pro.

Delle Donne is more gifted offensively but Sabrina plays with a lot more fire/energy. Probably edge to Sabrina if I could draft one coming out of college. She's a great player to build a franchise around. I think it may take a little time to adjust to the pro game but she'll excel in a pick and roll offense and is going to be a tremendous pro.

Did you see Elena play thru herniated disks in her back often guarding the leagues best bigs. Liz Cambage and Jonquel Jones? She was as fired up as anyone I just think dealing with lymes disease, the injuries, and most of all loving and supporting her sister who is blind, deaf, and mute amongst other things just puts her life into a little more perspective to realize she is doing what she loves but what she loves is just a game.

Did you see Elena play thru herniated disks in her back often guarding the leagues best bigs. Liz Cambage and Jonquel Jones? She was as fired up as anyone I just think dealing with lymes disease, the injuries, and most of all loving and supporting her sister who is blind, deaf, and mute amongst other things just puts her life into a little more perspective to realize she is doing what she loves but what she loves is just a game.

I worded that poorly, instead of fire/energy I should've said intensity or confidence. Very few players have that kind of sheer confidence that she possesses. She's DT-like in that manner. EDD always plays hard when she's out there and can play with fire, but I don't think she elevates her teammates energy or confidence in the same manner that Sabrina does.

I worded that poorly, instead of fire/energy I should've said intensity or confidence. Very few players have that kind of sheer confidence that she possesses. She's DT-like in that manner. EDD always plays hard when she's out there and can play with fire, but I don't think she elevates her teammates energy or confidence in the same manner that Sabrina does.

hmmm🤔...

I’ll allow it 😂

VN Store

Back