ESPN Programming

WBO

ESPN is really dropping the ball here so to speak. Since they don't have any sports to show right now, they should be going back in time and replaying classic college football games. I'm not talking about their current practice where they call a game from 2009 a classic, it should be games like Texas Arkansas from the 60's or Nebraska Oklahoma from the 70's (my favorites would be Tennessee PennState from 1971 or 1967 Tennessee Alabama). Since ABC held all the college football telecast rights and they typically only showed one or two games a weekend, it was huge when your team was the game of the week and they always showed Tennessee Alabama in the late 60's early 70's.

If the game was played less than 25 years ago it's not a true classic. Bud Wilkerson, the great Oklahoma coach did color and he loved Tennessee. Plus I would love to hear Keith Jackson back in his prime yell out "Whoa Nellie" again.

Your games?

ESPN is really dropping the ball here so to speak. Since they don't have any sports to show right now, they should be going back in time and replaying classic college football games. I'm not talking about their current practice where they call a game from 2009 a classic, it should be games like Texas Arkansas from the 60's or Nebraska Oklahoma from the 70's (my favorites would be Tennessee PennState from 1971 or 1967 Tennessee Alabama). Since ABC held all the college football telecast rights and they typically only showed one or two games a weekend, it was huge when your team was the game of the week and they always showed Tennessee Alabama in the late 60's early 70's.

If the game was played less than 25 years ago it's not a true classic. Bud Wilkerson, the great Oklahoma coach did color and he loved Tennessee. Plus I would love to hear Keith Jackson back in his prime yell out "Whoa Nellie" again.

Your games?

Ever hear of the term "instant" classic? A game played as recent as last year could be a classic.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Ever hear of the term "instant" classic? A game played as recent as last year could be a classic.

I know what you're saying but I've clearly stated what my definition for this purpose is. Feel free to consider my definition to be "old classics."

I haven't visited the ESPN and CBS Sports Websites since the sh*t hit the fan and I haven't went this long without looking at those websites since I first got the internet in 1996.:D

Reactions: lukeneyland and MAD

Your games?
Yes!

I don't care about watching last years games. Toss in some games from 60's and 70's.
Golf Channel needs to do the same. Whichever tournament is supposed to be going on, show some old replays of that event.

I don’t have any interest in watching 2 year old football games, 35 year old football games, not 50 year old games. That said, thumbing through I’ve seen plenty of replayed games on.
This is my feeling as well. Sure, highlights are cool but I have no desire to sit down and watch a previously played football game, in most cases. Heck, I don't even like to DVR and start a game late.

I'll pass on this idea. Just give me the latest in the sports world and with all the craziness going on there is plenty there, as of now.

Reactions: kcvols1
I did enjoy watching the UT/Bama game last night. Like watching a movie for the second time, you see things that go unnoticed the first time.

The refs looked worse the second time around. I swear it did look like the refs were intentionally targeting UT.

It was almost comical watching one play where 3 flags were thrown on 1 play. Some flags were thrown very late on the play also.

Reactions: feathersax
Yes!

I don't care about watching last years games. Toss in some games from 60's and 70's.
Golf Channel needs to do the same. Whichever tournament is supposed to be going on, show some old replays of that event.
I agree. Take the same event from 1987 and show it in its entirety. Been a long time since I’ve heard persimmon strike balata.

I agree. Take the same event from 1987 and show it in its entirety. Been a long time since I’ve heard persimmon strike balata.
I took my old Toney Penna driver and a Maxfli DDH balata down to our simulator at woek and hit about a dozen shots with it. I can't believe I ever shot in the 60's with that combo. But, it sure felt good hitting one "in the screws":D

I took my old Toney Penna driver and a Maxfli DDH balata down to our simulator at woek and hit about a dozen shots with it. I can't believe I ever shot in the 60's with that combo. But, it sure felt good hitting one "in the screws":D
I also still have an old set of Toney Penna persimmon woods 1,3,5 that I bought at the original and only Edwin Watts location at the time, in Fort Walton or Destin (can't remember) when they were located in the back of a golf course pro shop there. How did your distance , spin, etc. compare to today's stuff?

I also still have an old set of Toney Penna persimmon woods 1,3,5 that I bought at the original and only Edwin Watts location at the time, in Fort Walton or Destin (can't remember) when they were located in the back of a golf course pro shop there. How did your distance , spin, etc. compare to today's stuff?
I was carrying it (the good ones) about 230 with 2,100 rpm
My driver today. 250 carry and 2,300 RPM's

didn't hit new driver with balata....i'll try it one day soon.

VN Store

Back