Rhyne Howard

Volinnooga

Any idea why we didn’t recruit her? Was she just not going to UT so we didn’t recruit her or was there some other reason?

She stated early in her high school career she didn’t have any interest in Tennessee. She got on the coaches radar around 10th grade and she had her mind made up

She stated early in her high school career she didn’t have any interest in Tennessee. She got on the coaches radar around 10th grade and she had her mind made up

Does anyone know how many recruits we may have lost out on because of Holly’s rep as an inept coach?

I suspected that but I recall she said after the first KY game that TN never even recruited her. I think a coach had to make the attempt to an in state star, even if they don’t seem particularly interested.

When i think of Rhyne and Keke, 2 pillars of Kentucky women's team, and I think of recruiting..... I think of the U of Miami football program.... when their glory era started in 1980 or so..... Coach Howard Schnellenberger (track that down in your alphabet soup)..... drew a line across Route 4 essentially east to west and exclaimed to his staff...... from now on this is the State of South Florida.... Nobody qualified to star for us within this territory goes to any other school..... after Howard left, Miami had panache, and recruiting went national.... linebackers from California lineman from St Louis.... essentially they left open the door to their backyard.... the other Florida schools and Big 10 etc started picking off Miami athletes which U Miami either ignored or didn't give proper attention to.....

Perhaps we are too busy focusing on the Hoopgurlz Top 10, or Oregon, or whatever and are not seeing what is playing locally? I do not know But in these 2 instances.... Rhyne has said that we were not interested until late in the process, after she had made decision to go with who was interested in her.... and as for Keke, she said that UT was her dream school but there was no mutual interest

It OBVIOUSLY doesn't matter how highly ranked they are if you cant coach. See the '19-'20 Lady Vols.
I know most people dont want to hear it, but Harper's first year was abysmal.
How many Top 50 players on the team right now?
You expect it to get BETTER with lower ranked players she's bringing in? This program is DEAD and the ONLY people to blame are the LV mafia for REFUSING to allow the hiring of a superior coach.
Great job!! You'll have plenty of room in the stands to celebrate what once was.
We are now LA Tech and ODU.

Rhyne looked like she was trying to prove a point yesterday when she was draining 3's against us yesterday.

Reactions: Orange Maniac
There a lot that go into play with recruiting . Those two players Keke and Rhyne weren’t recruited by Tennessee when Kyra Elzy was the recruiting coordinator ..... they then end up at Kentucky with Elzy. Funny how things work out

How good are WCBB recruiting services like HoopGurlz, looks like there's a lot of misses.

How good are WCBB recruiting services like HoopGurlz, looks like there's a lot of misses.

I'm going to paraphrase something that was told directly to me by a current SEC head coach regarding Tennessee and recruiting. "Tennessee is great at recruiting athletes who happen to play basketball. It's a rare exception they get a baller (i.e. Candace Parker), a G/F type of player than can throw down 30 a night. The problem is athletes that happen to play basketball aren't going to win you titles anymore. They can win you a lot of games, keep you relevant but they aren't going to win titles."

Thats not all of the problem, but I think its a large part of it.

It OBVIOUSLY doesn't matter how highly ranked they are if you cant coach. See the '19-'20 Lady Vols.
You expect it to get BETTER with lower ranked players she's bringing in? This program is DEAD and the ONLY people to blame are the LV mafia for REFUSING to allow the hiring of a superior coach.
Great job!! You'll have plenty of room in the stands to celebrate what once was.
I really believe you are being too hard on KJH. Just because a player has a bunch of stars behind your name does not necessarily mean you are the right match to accomplish what a coach desires. Number one KJH, without Zay on the floor, did not have a true leader on the floor. Not tying to throw Holly further under the bus, however, one of her issue was that her teams

First of a

For one thing, after seven years behind Holly’s leadership the culture at Tennessee went South. Few coaches can come into a program trending downward and suddenly the program is raised back to their glory days. For the last 7 years we have had a bunch of 5 stars but few showed floor leadership. At the beginning of this year, Zay seemed to be the floor leader we needed, however, when she went down no one rose up to take the leadership role. Just because you inherited a bunch of five stars does not mean you have the right personnel to carry out what a coach wants to accomplish. It may take two or three recruiting cycle to get the players you need to accomplish what you want to get done. Deciding that a coach needs to be kicked to the curve based upon their success with players he/she did not recruit is perhaps a little premature. Give KJH a chance before you throw her under the bus and run over her.

I suspected that but I recall she said after the first KY game that TN never even recruited her. I think a coach had to make the attempt to an in state star, even if they don’t seem particularly interested.

If Rhyne said that Tennessee never recruited her, she misspoke — because they did. The truth is that she and her Tennessee-hating, Florida grad mother had made it widely known that they had zero interest in Tennessee. Regardless, the Lady Vols did make an effort to recruit her, but it was late in the process.

To heavily recruit players for years is not cheap. It costs programs a lot of money and time to travel to watch players and then, later on, to host them and their families. Should Tennessee have used precious resources to recruit a player who’d made it clear in bball circles that she had zero interest in Tennessee? I’m not sure.

In hindsight, the way Rhyne appears to particularly enjoy trouncing Tennessee, it makes me think that it was likely more her mother who hated Tennessee and she went along with it. I just don’t think someone who’d claimed to have no interest in Tennessee could be so hurt that they came to the table late.

Perhaps the truth is somewhere in between. She and her mother knew they didn’t want Tennessee, but they wanted Tennessee to want her bad enough to use program resources in a lost cause.

A thoroughbred is a thoroughbred,,,if ridden by a cowboy, it becomes a quarter horse.
CHW had no one who knew how to push the right buttons
We motivational coaches are a rare breed as well

As others have said, I think her going off on us has nothing to do with recruiting and everything to do with going off on one of the pillars of WCBB. Tennessee stomped a lot of teams over the good years so Karma is taking its sweet time evening things up a bit.

As others have said, I think her going off on us has nothing to do with recruiting and everything to do with going off on one of the pillars of WCBB. Tennessee stomped a lot of teams over the good years so Karma is taking its sweet time evening things up a bit.

I think it was the stage,,,the SEC tournament
win or go home basketball
AAU revisited

Hey @Rickster ,,,,I called you bc I was testing the ignore button,,,it let me see that you posted, but not what you posted.
Thanx for being an experimental subject

Last edited:
Reactions: Orange Maniac
A thoroughbred is a thoroughbred,,,if ridden by a cowboy, it becomes a quarter horse.
CHW had no one who knew how to push the right buttons
We motivational coaches are a rare breed as well
Is Kellie a cowgirl and does she wear spurs and use them?

I'm going to paraphrase something that was told directly to me by a current SEC head coach regarding Tennessee and recruiting. "Tennessee is great at recruiting athletes who happen to play basketball. It's a rare exception they get a baller (i.e. Candace Parker), a G/F type of player than can throw down 30 a night. The problem is athletes that happen to play basketball aren't going to win you titles anymore. They can win you a lot of games, keep you relevant but they aren't going to win titles."

Thats not all of the problem, but I think its a large part of it.

I agree with this all day long! All it takes is one game changer added to the right pieces. Whether everyone wants to see it our not, Kellie is adding the pieces. Our current roster lacked shooters and guard depth so she went out and found that in 2020. We needed a bruiser down low so she’s added that in the 2021 group. She’s left the door open for a transfer/JUCO player for 2020. She was behind the eight ball in 2020, but she’s going after some game changers in 2021 and beyond. You have to have all the pieces in place to go with a game changer type player. Give Kellie and her staff time and it will happen. She already managed a 20 win season with a roster full of holes and inexperience. They learned to win ugly this year and did not have any bad losses, and I believe that will pay dividends in the future and is one of the first steps in a culture change. Re had a great season and is the most experienced player, but our leader was sitting on the bench with a torn ACL this year. During warmups, timeouts, and throughout the game, Zay was still trying to be that vocal leader for this team. It was very evident the players looked to her for motivation. Kellie alluded to our roster situation before the season even started, but everyone was convinced that because they were 5 stars on paper this roster was loaded.

On if this is the most talented roster she's coached:
“These are some of the most talented players I've coached, the top end of our roster is.”

Kellie had to sacrifice some blowout games in order to develop depth and the best way to do that is by playing people meaningful minutes. Our games were not always pretty, but each player truly learned their weaknesses and what it will take to win in the SEC. Looking forward to seeing how they develop in the offseason, after hopefully ending this season with a great run in the NCAA tournament.

There a lot that go into play with recruiting . Those two players Keke and Rhyne weren’t recruited by Tennessee when Kyra Elzy was the recruiting coordinator ..... they then end up at Kentucky with Elzy. Funny how things work out

That tells u fans that most times players already make up their mind where they want to go no matter how hard coach recruits them.

VN Store

Back