Tbh Kellie...

Some fans dosen't see that Kellie did a great job. TN choice to hire someone at her level instead of veteran coach, we all have to embrace her and give her chance to figure out what she need after this season. A veteran coach would've attracted star recruit but TN wanted to play cheap game. I don't think she did bad compared the teams a year and 2yrs ago.
Players kelly is recruiting will lead us back. Ala commitment is a better now as Junior in HS than all our current bigs. Look for another Ala commitment soon. Ps emily Saunders will play a bigger role next year.

has done a great job with this team this year. Yes, I said it. Imagine any other program losing 80% of their scoring and rebounds and winning 21 games tying for 3rd in the SEC (or their conference) the next year. What I love is we have examples of what the Lady Vols could have been elsewhere in the country (aka Notre Dame). I could only imagine if some of you all were Irish fans. True we didn’t get the BIG WIN this year (yet), but we showed a level of consistency uncommon for Lady Vols play the past few years. I like where this team is headed and from the looks of this year WATCH OUT for us next year.

Unless they learn to Catch The Ball and Shoot straight; expect more of the same. Our Bigs have the worst hands I've seen in CBB.

OP is using the same fallacy that is all too common here trying to make "not as bad as Holly" synonymous with "great." Although I don't necessarily agree, a far more convincing argument would be this team more or less met expectations (pending the NCAA tournament). So hooray for average, I guess... 🤷

If I was Harper I would feel a sense of urgency to get this team a lot better by next season whatever I had to do. At least a third maybe more of Tennessee fans were not even willing to give her one season to straighten out all that was wrong with the program. Even the fact she lost five players from the previous season three which were starters and had to use two freshman as starters this season didn't give her any compassion. I don't know how Tennessee fans will react if in year two we fail to win at least 25 games lot of ranting and raving mostly because for some reason at least half think this roster is loaded. I know Fulmer will give her the time. The problem with having the time which I believe is three more seasons there is the problem of players and coaches having to hear all the background noise. Of course there will be at least half of us that support the team even if next season turns out much like this year. I don't think many will go beyond that length of time to have a quality team capable of playing with anybody on the floor. In year three it does appear we'll at least have some senior leadership on the team.
If I was Coach Harper I wouldn't want to rely on what is coming back on this roster and of course you can't ever rely on any freshmen even the top rated to be able to make a difference their first season. If there are players available Grad Transfer, juco, etc that she can get hopefully she want be hesitant to add one or two that can actually help.

OP is using the same fallacy that is all too common here trying to make "not as bad as Holly" synonymous with "great." Although I don't necessarily agree, a far more convincing argument would be this team more or less met expectations (pending the NCAA tournament). So hooray for average, I guess... 🤷
Can we find a different dead horse to beat on? This one is flatter than a week old road killed squirrel.

Reactions: VolFuture2k22
Speaking of ignorance in a post. If you are claiming that the leader the team relied on folded under pressure to KY, do you really believe that same player won’t fold in the next game with 2X the pressure of a “win or die” game?? I don’t see it.

As for your assertion that the team needs more experience to compete with the seasoned veterans of other teams, we’re 30 games in. How much more do you need? 100? Where’s the cutoff? If talent doesn’t win games, then we really need to shut down any talk of what “stars” are attached to recruits and start offering experience.
Dude read between the lines. Sheesh 1 game doesn’t define a player and that player has happened to embrace and lead very successfully at times this year. But growth is in consistentcy. Also with all the adversity in that game it could have gotten to anyone. I get your big mad I called one of your friend’s assessments ignorant. It was. Did you really expect to win WIN with a jumbled bag of a team and a new coach? Seriously?

On your part 2. It’s laughable. It’s almost not worth commenting on. It’s obviously both smh. High talents alone are not enough and experience alone is not enough. But experience doesn’t just come in the form of games. It’s the 100s of 6 AM workouts. The time grueling in the offseason to get bigger faster stronger.

3-4 years of 3/4/5 stars getting better for other programs should beat greener 5 stars.

And yes for me stars aren’t 100% important. For some girls it’s truly earned, for others well.
Question. Do you know what each star means btw? Like what it means to be a 5 star? 4 star? 3 star? Like how each can potentially help your team.

Reactions: Coach Jumper
Unless they learn to Catch The Ball and Shoot straight; expect more of the same. Our Bigs have the worst hands I've seen in CBB.

I don't doubt that our Bigs will be greatly improved (or gone) by next season. They have strengths that can be enhanced, and weaknesses that can be alleviated. If neither happens, any or all of the Coach Kellie critics will certainly be at the ready.
All of them need to improve footwork and passing/catching abilities; that's obvious.
There's one very interesting thing (that I've noticed) about Tamari Key: for someone who is so bad, she often draws double, even triple teams almost every time she touches the ball. Being a little quicker to move toward the basket and shoot, or quickly pass back out will enhance her game, while allowing for better looks for the inlet passer and other teammates.
These "weaknesses" aren't nearly as bad or unfixable as most appear to think. Just faster decision-making, and more-effecient ball and player movement in general, will go a long way in making us a better offensive team.

Reactions: JohnTN
Boy o boy... what were your expectations for this year? Then how did they change when we lost Zaay? I’m pretty sure you were on here posting doom and gloom after the ETSU game. So shouldn’t you be happy that we got back to average? Cause as for fallacies you tend to move the goalposts. I never implied anything about Holly. I truly believe this team overachieved with the players we had. If that’s average (for our standard) I’ll take it because this may be the most average team the Lady Vols have ever fielded.

One side note. How many freshman have ever started for UT. Seriously. I know Ariel was the first ever starting freshie PG for Pat, but who else.

Dude read between the lines. Sheesh 1 game doesn’t define a player and that player has happened to embrace and lead very successfully at times this year. But growth is in consistentcy. Also with all the adversity in that game it could have gotten to anyone. I get your big mad I called one of your friend’s assessments ignorant. It was. Did you really expect to win WIN with a jumbled bag of a team and a new coach? Seriously?

On your part 2. It’s laughable. It’s almost not worth commenting on. It’s obviously both smh. High talents alone are not enough and experience alone is not enough. But experience doesn’t just come in the form of games. It’s the 100s of 6 AM workouts. The time grueling in the offseason to get bigger faster stronger.

3-4 years of 3/4/5 stars getting better for other programs should beat greener 5 stars.

And yes for me stars aren’t 100% important. For some girls it’s truly earned, for others well.
Question. Do you know what each star means btw? Like what it means to be a 5 star? 4 star? 3 star? Like how each can potentially help your team.

Adversity? What adversity? Any other player should have stepped up. “One never knows where or when they will lead, only how they will lead” ~ George C Marshall.
As for your 2nd point, You can’t be serious. Ask any coach, “it’s not about the x’s and o’s but the jimmies and the joes.” I’m well aware of the evaluation process in recruitment but thanks for assuming I don’t. And I’ll go on record as saying that a team doesn’t necessarily have to have 5* or 4* players up and down the roster. Give a coach worth their salt a player that is rated as a 3* with a good work ethic and attitude and you will see a player performing at the 5* level.

As for your line that experience is also gained in off season and season practices, I don’t disagree but I will never be convinced that it is the same as experience gained playing another team as opposed to the practice squad.

Mad about anything? Nope. As for winning with a bag of a jumbled mess (as you put it), absolutely I did. That’s called lack of coaching or game management. Take your pick or both. CKH may be the head coach of the Lady Vols for the next 20 years. Who knows? But if a coach, especially a head coach of a program rich in history expects her players to perform at the highest level with no mulligan, I expect that from the HC as well. That’s why Holly was able to stick around as long as she did because we, as fans kept giving her mulligans.

This team needs to go to fundamentals school in the offseason, learn how to dribble drive, catch the ball in the post without fumbling it over and over, box out and play help defense

This team needs to go to fundamentals school in the offseason, learn how to dribble drive, catch the ball in the post without fumbling it over and over, box out and play help defense

I agree with you..... The one most glaring knock this year on the coaching staff is that they did not correct the turnover issue..... 18 TOs vs tough KY defense may be ok but not 27 vs Auburn for instance

We have all the right tools for a run. I actually like Rae coming off the bench. I wonder if Kellie will change her lineup again.

I too thought bringing Rae off the bench put pressure on the opponents defense and gave the 2nd string a spark. I think the bench got better as the year progressed which is why I am surprised about loosing by as much as we did yesterday. I don't know how many more games they will win this year but I think Kellie has made them a better team. Unfortunately, they had a long way to go to show improvement.

Reactions: Bret178
One more time. The major problem with this team is that it is offensively challenged full stop. Big deficiency #1, we are not a good outside shooting team. We a few here and there but it is really not part of our offensive scheme. That is where KY killed us. Outside shooting spreads the floor.

Our post players are still a work in progress. They can look good against teams like Mizzou who don't much size or athleticism but we don't match up well otherwise. I see that deficiency going away with Key's development in the coming seasons.

Given that we are weak in the post and beyond the perimeter, well that makes us pretty easy to defend.

Noticed Louisville lost again. Not a good look for Jeff.

My only problem with this team is the turnovers. They continue to make stupid mistakes.
They play lazy without the effort it takes to play in the SEC especially on D they don’t seem to be held accountable by the coach, everyone I ask about there perception of the team there response is lazy

Reactions: OriginalCoach
The recruits should first be loaded with basic skills including not stopping and throwing their hands in the air after a bad play while the other team keeps playing

Who are you referring to? Don’t be afraid to say their names. The player that came to mind was Davis.

TN vs Top 50: 1 -10

I'm sorry but the LV's had too much talent to win only ONCE in eleven tries against top 50 competition. And we faded miserably down the stretch - the long losing streak, meh performances against Ole Miss and Vandy, the crapfest at Auburn, the 1st half vs Mizzou, and last night's beatdown. The team that challenged KY at their place in January...devolved into the mess we witnessed last night.

A top coach would have gotten more out of that group...or at least shown improvement as the season wore on.

I believe Kellie has got this! She can do it. But she needs the same freedom other coaches have, of not having her husband sitting next to her every minute telling her what to do. It has gotten worse as the year progressed. Observe for yourself!

VN Store

Back