Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where has he ever been a position coach? Looking at his bio for Bama it shows he started at a high school in New Orleans as a strength coach, went to LSU as a strength coach, went to the NBA as a strength coach, and then has been at Bama since 2007 as a strength coach. I know that players like him and probably talk to recruits about how good he is as a strength coach, but how much interaction in recruiting can a strength coach have with recruits?
Someone has to carry the water for Georgia, and he volunteered to do it. He may turn out to be a good on field coach, but he has been a life long S&C coach....Georgia is pinning their hopes on a 1st time position coach, and our fans are already annointing him a great coach AND recruiter....

I’m no management guru but it seems like taking a Michelin star chef and having him be your waiter is not optimal. He may be a great waiter, but he’s an amazing chef.

Kirby Smart folks

Georgia can’t possibly recruit any better. How is this any gain for Georgia? Appreciate the damage done to Bama though, Kirbs.

Cochran will coach special teams. And I guarantee you he will be their S&C lead coach as well. Adding the Special teams gig was a way to up his pay and steal him from Bama just to get him there to coach S&C. Not hard to see what Kirby is doing. Isn't like he hired him as offensive coordinator. Special teams is something every coach has a hand in so isn't like they're pinning their hopes and dreams on Cochran's on field abilities.

Good thing Fitz is just as good if not better of a S&C coach

Last edited:
In classic VN fashion, we 😂 then Fitz goes to Bama
giphy.gif

Cochran will coach special teams. And I guarantee you he will be their S&C lead coach as well. Adding the Special teams gig was a way to up his pay and steal him from Bama just to get him their to coach S&C. Not hard to see what Kirby is doing. Isn't like he hired him as offensive coordinator. Special teams is something every coach has a hand in so isn't like their pinning their hopes and dreams on Cochran's on field abilities.

Hopefully Fitz stays put.

Cochran will coach special teams. And I guarantee you he will be their S&C lead coach as well. Adding the Special teams gig was a way to up his pay and steal him from Bama just to get him their to coach S&C. Not hard to see what Kirby is doing. Isn't like he hired him as offensive coordinator. Special teams is something every coach has a hand in so isn't like their pinning their hopes and dreams on Cochran's on field abilities.

They could have upped his pay without all the on field machinations...there’s no salary cap. As is, he’s the highest paid ST’s coach in the land. I’m thinking this is his personal wont and now he gets to recruit off campus. This will only up them in that regard.

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
Near as I can figure it, Cochran would only leave Bama to be an on the field coach, something he has never done before, but wants to try. He wouldn't leave Saban to be a S&C coach somewhere else. Kirby figures that if this is the only way to get him away from Bama, so he does it just for that purpose alone, weakening Bama. If Cochran really has been a major factor in Bama's run under Saban, then Kirby calculates it is worth the trade to even take on dead wood as one of his on field coaches if it hurts the other super power in the league even more.

Anyway, that's about the only thing that makes sense.

Why do you lure away the best S&C coach in the business and make him an on-field coach? Doesn't that limit his time with the players in the offseason?

Not only that, but Cochran's bio doesn't list any prior football experience. He was actually with the Charlotte Hornets before being at Bama with Saban. Are they paying a ST coach over $600k for someone who has never done it?

Edit: I was a little late to bring this up.

Reactions: Dudley Smith

It takes an on field position away for a legit coach and potentially one off of the road. Which I'm for, as I look from my seat.

Jimmy B (our new DL coach) used to be a S&C coach. I don't think it's a crazy hire at all, weakens Bama and improves Georgia.
Jimmy B actually played football though. Special Teams is a integral part of football. It is not a throw away part of the game.

Jimminy Hymen was running JJ down this morning on 104.5 in Nashville. Basically saying he was going to run a 4.7 40 and that his discipline issues would cost him in the interview process. He did say he had improved in this area until he stepped on the Vandy player's head. I wanted to reach through the radio and punch him in the neck.

Jimmy Hyams and John Adams are related.

Jimmy B (our new DL coach) used to be a S&C coach. I don't think it's a crazy hire at all, weakens Bama and improves Georgia.

Yes, but Jimmy B played college football at the position he is coaching. Some former players get their start with S&C before finding a coaching position. I don't think Cochran has ever played, and he majored in kinesiology.

It’s special teams. He’ll watch a YouTube video and with his psychotic personality, be one of the best if not the best. This is a move for him to oversee the S&C (like a roving instructor) and mostly for recruiting. Every kid knows who this guy is...and now he’s visiting their house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back