'20 GA QB Harrison Bailey (UT SIGNEE)

So was it QB play that allowed GS to run wild? Was it QB play that allowed that WR to torch our defense near the end of regulation? And we never had a real shot at beating Bama. Dont fool yourself.
I was there at GSU. JG missed wide open receivers all game long. Had 2 terrible turnovers as well. He isn’t the sole reason, but with better QB play we still beat them.

With average QB play Taylor bust doesn’t matter. Average QB play beats BYU by 3 touchdowns.

And uh, yes we did.

Better QB play and Indiana isn’t close either. These are 100% indisputable facts. Won’t argue this any longer.

I was there at GSU. JG missed wide open receivers all game long. Had 2 terrible turnovers as well. He isn’t the sole reason, but with better QB play we still beat them.

With average QB play Taylor bust doesn’t matter. Average QB play beats BYU by 3 touchdowns.

And uh, yes we did.

Better QB play and Indiana isn’t close either. These are 100% indisputable facts. Won’t argue this any longer.
He was bad but defense lost the GSU game. Misaligned and lack of effort.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
He was bad but defense lost the GSU game. Misaligned and lack of effort.
I was there also and hate blaming one player, but with better QB play the defensive mistakes would not have been the difference. It ended up being a snowball effect of every mistake making each one worse while everyone waited on someone to get it going. Solid QB play would have made a difference.

Our defense should be better this year, but JG gives us our best chance to win 9-10 games in the regular season this year. Especially in the early part of the season while we break in new receivers.
We will not win 9-10 games if JG is the starter. Maybe 6 or 7 tops if we are lucky. He does not have Jennings and Calloway to bail him out anymore.

Lot of that is bc of the QB tho
He has a really bad tendency to recognize routes developing too late, therefore his throw anticipation is off and that’s a big reason for his short yardage and red zone interceptions. I think he just cannot get out of his own head when it comes down to it being squarely on him. I love his grit and determination but sometimes the whole package has to be cohesive and he just doesn’t have that.

JG pulled a JG but his name shouldn't be specifically mentioned for Georgia State. Not unless y'all are using the word "also" in conjunction.

Right after you mention the run game, the OL, most of the defense and primarily, coaching.

Use the BYU game. Defensive mistakes but it never should've came down to the last play. That's legitimate. Singling out any position against GS downplays the ****show that was put on display by everyone in orange that day.

So was it QB play that allowed GS to run wild? Was it QB play that allowed that WR to torch our defense near the end of regulation? And we never had a real shot at beating Bama. Dont fool yourself.

Yes, GS was on everyone, starting at the top. And Bama with the refs, would've been tough.

But hopefully you aren't implying with fair calls and no "rogue 2", we weren't capable of winning that game?

81-24 over the past 2 years isn’t all on the QB.
It isn't. I don't think many say it is. But when you look at other causes you ask are the mistakes reasonable considering the experience and opportunity for development... he's the one playing most below what you'd expect.

With effective QB play, that game is out of reach by half time. No one could have expected the DL to be good at that point. They had almost no college experience. UT should have been able to expect their RS Jr, two year starter at QB to keep the O on the field and score points.

With effective QB play, that game is out of reach by half time. No one could have expected the DL to be good at that point. They had almost no college experience. UT should have been able to expect their RS Jr, two year starter at QB to keep the O on the field and score points.

If UFs and buts were candy and nuts we would all have a Merry Christmas. Sorry chief but it’s a team sport. GS should have never even approached 299 yards rushing. BYU should not have been able to gash us. JG should have absolutely played better. But so should the defense. I know that truth is way too difficult for you and some others to understand.

Reactions: MiramarVol
It isn't. I don't think many say it is. But when you look at other causes you ask are the mistakes reasonable considering the experience and opportunity for development... he's the one playing most below what you'd expect.

Not really if you take a step back and think about it. A guy is on his 4th OC, 2nd HC and 2nd QB coach since getting the job. You can try and say those facts aren’t a big deal but they absolutely are a HUGE deal. Yes he should be further along but last year was the first time since he has been a starter that the OL actually played decent. And I think they still were rated pretty low. Yet still he was the guy to help get us to 8 wins. Your analysis of his flaws are laughable. You are not qualified to evaluate a D1 QB. Neither am I.

If you want to put so much of the team on a QBs shoulders then he should get a TON of credit for 8 wins.

Bama would have beaten us regardless imo.

We'll never know, unfortunately but we looked very capable of an upset, imo.
I'm not saying we played that way any other game or that last year was typical Bama, it obviously was a down year by their standards.

But whatever the reasons, we looked as capable of winning as they did. But the bs calls and that 14 point swing play leaves nothing but speculation instead.

If UFs and buts were candy and nuts we would all have a Merry Christmas. Sorry chief but it’s a team sport. GS should have never even approached 299 yards rushing. BYU should not have been able to gash us. JG should have absolutely played better. But so should the defense. I know that truth is way too difficult for you and some others to understand.

So I wonder why they stuck an underweight true freshman in a game? Surely it couldn’t have been because they thought he gave us a better chance to win.

With decent QB play, GS and BYU would have been Ws. Decent play should be the expectation for a RJR. The problem is that the rest of the team wasn’t playing well enough to overcome his weakness, something they were able to do later in the season...in spite of the fact that we were relying heavily on guys much younger than the QB they kept benching.

All you've done is "ifs and buts". Don't give me that crap. You know better.

No. The DL entered the season with ZERO experience. It was perfectly reasonable to expect them to struggle for a while. They needed an O led by an effective QB who could score points and stay on the field. They didn't have one.

FWIW, by the end of the season, they saved that same QB from the same fate vs Vandy and IU.

Not really if you take a step back and think about it. A guy is on his 4th OC, 2nd HC and 2nd QB coach since getting the job.
By far and away the MOST exaggerated of a very large number of excuses used for JG. He processes slow. He doesn't anticipate throws well. Those are innate talents to a significant degree.

And he had Jones' O for his first two years. Assistants coming and going are a way of life for college players.

You can try and say those facts aren’t a big deal but they absolutely are a HUGE deal.
Explain. Exactly what about him having an experience in common with a lot of players in this day and age made it harder on him? What specifically about him throwing late and off target vs IU was due to different OC's?

Yes he should be further along but last year was the first time since he has been a starter that the OL actually played decent.
Second most exaggerated excuse. If he didn't process so slow and hold the ball too long... the OL wouldn't have looked so bad. Dormady took like 5 sacks behind the same OL that JG had about 30 behind. The 2nd year there's no good comparison since he got almost all the PT. The OL is NO excuse for what he did this year.

And I think they still were rated pretty low.
Third best in the SEC behind Bama and UGA in preventing pressure. Sixth in sacks allowed. So no, not ranked low at all. JG however was one of the worst in the SEC in time to deliver the ball.

Yet still he was the guy to help get us to 8 wins.
He helped but UT's 8 wins aren't because they figured out how to score a bunch of points.
Your analysis of his flaws are laughable.
So laughable that they're parroted by announcers who are former coaches and players?

You are not qualified to evaluate a D1 QB. Neither am I.
You don't need to have expert qualifications. You just have to know a little about the game... and have your eyes open.

If you want to put so much of the team on a QBs shoulders then he should get a TON of credit for 8 wins.
Eight that should have been at least 10 if not for the play of that QB? No thanks.

He was replaced by a true Fr who wasn't ready. In spite of pouring a whole off season into JG... the coaches were ready to pull the plug after only 4 games and go with a freshman. Think that through.

He had an advantage and asserted it later in the season. He was more experienced and better at managing the O. He had one really good game- Mizzou. Had the D not been significantly improved... he would have lost the last two for UT. I stomached watching the IU game again the other day. He played MORE than bad enough to lose that game.

We will not win 9-10 games if JG is the starter. Maybe 6 or 7 tops if we are lucky. He does not have Jennings and Calloway to bail him out anymore.
We won 8 this past season and should not have done that without JG. This will also be the first time that he has had the same offensive coordinator in consecutive years. Nobody expects JG to be All-SEC all of a sudden, but with much better OL play and a top notch defense he doesn't have to be. The run game should be much better, and he just has to be more consistent and get out of his own head. We have to have him the 1st 4-6 games as a competent starter. HB is the future, but I don't think that future begins game 1.

And uh, yes we did.

He shares responsibility with the rest of the team, including the defense.

Reactions: chargervol

VN Store

Back