The Official Tennessee @ #13 Auburn Game Thread, 12:00 PM ET, CBS

Once you get to the Sweet 16 those games are pretty much toss ups unless there have been upsets. That’s what stinks about 2 years ago. Our bracket opened up beautifully but we didn’t bring our A game and Loyola took advantage of that along with the Alexander injury. Injuries happen though. Auburn easily could’ve won it last year had Okeke not gotten hurt.
Agree but Auburn was a missed foul shot in the first game from going home too.

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
Pulled the rabbit out of the hat many times. Undisciplined street ball.

Pearl’s best team choked against Ohio St in the Sweet Sixteen. (2007)

Just because he’s made it one round farther in the NCAA Tournament than Barnes, the Pearl lovers go ballistic.

Reactions: BreatheUT
Agree but Auburn was a missed foul shot in the first game from going home too.
True but, generally speaking, top 4 seeds make it to the second weekend. I think it’s like 70-75% and if you’re a top 2 seed then it’s more like 90%+. Things change from there on in though as you are likely playing other top seeds which are, more often than not, top 25 teams.

Reactions: Mikevol1964

Just because he’s made it one round farther in the NCAA Tournament than Barnes, the Pearl lovers go ballistic.
Does us getting hosed against Purdue make Barnes any less of a coach? Of course not! We should’ve been Elite 8 last year for sure. What a terrible call on that 3 ball. Shouldn’t have come down to that, I know.

No, Pearl's best team got their ass kicked by Louisivlle in the Sweet 16.

Does anyone else scream when we leave a 3 shooter wide open and then one of our players comes flying in like Superman out of control? JJJ got completely owned by a fake today and if hadn't gone in all flying out of control he would have had a much better chance of defending.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Does anyone else scream when we leave a 3 shooter wide open and then one of our players comes flying in like Superman out of control? JJJ got completely owned by a fake today and if hadn't gone in all flying out of control he would have had a much better chance of defending.

I think Pons is the worst for that.

He has tremendous hops but sometimes he uses them at the wrong time.

I constantly am yelling stay down also. The year before last year the guys were bad about jumping. Last year they improved though, so I hope these guys will also.

Dang boys. I love Bruce Pearl. Would have loved to get him back even. But, can we not be happy that we have a great coach right now? We can do it ... I know we can. ;)

Man what happened? Listened to a most of the 1st half and it was all going right...

Jordan Bowden has his best game of the season and we can't take advantage.

Man what happened? Listened to a most of the 1st half and it was all going right...

Jordan Bowden has his best game of the season and we can't take advantage.

Basically a choke, by everyone involved. We got up 17 and SV got into foul trouble and had to come out. After that the team went completely brain dead and suddenly couldn't even bring it down court without turning it over. Auburn started chipping back, we didn't score, and instead of calling a TO Barnes waited for the TV timeout. After that the damage was done even though we took the lead and tied again.

I hate to be harsh but it was a terrible second half coaching job by Barnes and even worst second half for the players. I mean we had some DUMB DUMB DUMB playing going on. Sevearl of the turnovers were not even forced, like Fulkerson throwing it away, us not getting the ball across halfcourt before 10 seconds, and Pons running into JJJ bringing it up and making him lose the ball. I mean it was just....pathetic.

Reactions: Tnphil
Basically a choke, by everyone involved. We got up 17 and SV got into foul trouble and had to come out. After that the team went completely brain dead and suddenly couldn't even bring it down court without turning it over. Auburn started chipping back, we didn't score, and instead of calling a TO Barnes waited for the TV timeout. After that the damage was done even though we took the lead and tied again.

I hate to be harsh but it was a terrible second half coaching job by Barnes and even worst second half for the players. I mean we had some DUMB DUMB DUMB playing going on. Sevearl of the turnovers were not even forced, like Fulkerson throwing it away, us not getting the ball across halfcourt before 10 seconds, and Pons running into JJJ bringing it up and making him lose the ball. I mean it was just....pathetic.

Saw Fulkerson's box score and was disappointed he didn't do something in the 2nd half since he sat most the 1st half. I figured the young guys would have issues with Auburn's pressure since they hadn't played against them before, if Bowden plays like that these last games we should win a few I believe.

Saw Fulkerson's box score and was disappointed he didn't do something in the 2nd half since he sat most the 1st half. I figured the young guys would have issues with Auburn's pressure since they hadn't played against them before, if Bowden plays like that these last games we should win a few I believe.

Well I doubt he will, but even so I have a hard time taking the team seriously anymore. I mean we were up 17 and rolling and just pissed it away in a matter of minutes. I get that's been Auburn's thing this year, but they didn't really do that much to cause said pissing away, we just started playing incredibly stupid basketball. I mean I'm not exaggerating that we went about 5-6 possessions in a row where we couldn't even pass it to someone else.

And people will defend Barnes not taking a TO but for the life of me I can't undesrstand why he wouldn't. If at the least to try to mentally calm them down. It was clear they weren't going to just "play through it".

Reactions: Tnphil
Just seems as though Pearl made some changes to slow Bowden, but yet we go on a run and extend the lead by 17 points with a little over 14 minutes. How can we allow a team to go on a 18 point spurt without calling a timeout with nothing else but to slow this down? We almost let the commodores back in it with this same play. I know we’ve replaced a lot and have new players, but this should never happen

Reactions: LibertyVol
We all know the flaws with this team and the big one is obviously turnovers. Our main ball handlers are freshmen and turnovers are mostly a maturity issue. This is why LT shutting down was such a blow this year. But I like this young group of players and we’ve got an exciting offseason coming up. Fulk/Pons/Uros/JJJ/SV will all be better next season and I could see Gaines have a big offseason too. Then we’ve got one of best classes in TN history on the way. The future is bright folks. 😎

VN Store

Back