Kevin Simon

Burnett was so damn big he had to cut the arms of his jersey. Dude was an absolute beast. My top 5 UT LBs in the last 25 years would be Wilson, Burnett, Westmoreland, Simon and AJ Johnson. Mayo would be honorable mention.

Burnett was so damn big he had to cut the arms of his jersey. Dude was an absolute beast. My top 5 UT LBs in the last 25 years would be Wilson, Burnett, Westmoreland, Simon and AJ Johnson. Mayo would be honorable mention.

Don’t forget Raynoch Thompson. Loved the way that guy played.

Don’t forget Raynoch Thompson. Loved the way that guy played.

Yep I might bump Mayo back to 7 and put Thompson at 6. Those top 5 are hard to beat.

AJ Johnson on a better team and without the drama (all lies by a hooker on UT rowing team) at the end of his career would be mentioned right there with Al Wilson. It’s hard for me to bump him out. But you’re right, Thompson no doubt is a top 4-6 LB last 25 years at UT. Little was a DE but actually converted to LB his JR year. He would be a OLB in our current D for sure. If you add him in the mix he’s #2 behind Al Wilson and everyone else moves back. He could even be #1.

Another kid I liked a lot who took some time to come on was Rico McCoy. Just on some bad teams there so he never gets mentioned but he was a thud hitter. He’s in that 2nd tier with guys like Bituli, Omar Gaither, Austin Johnson and Maggitt.

Last edited:
I know that Kevin Simon has been on the support staff since Pruitt / Fulmer started. I'm a bit surprised he hasn't been mentioned during all this staff turnover as a possible on-field coach. Any info about him and his future here?

I also miss Dad1A's insights from the old Gridscape days.

Peace
he doesn't have any on field coaching experience.

Yep I might bump Mayo back to 7 and put Thompson at 6. Those top 5 are hard to beat.

AJ Johnson on a better team and without the drama (all lies by a hooker on UT rowing team) at the end of his career would be mentioned right there with Al Wilson. It’s hard for me to bump him out. But you’re right, Thompson no doubt is a top 4-6 LB last 25 years at UT. Little was a DE but actually converted to LB his JR year. He would be a OLB in our current D for sure. If you add him in the mix he’s #2 behind Al Wilson and everyone else moves back. He could even be #1.

Another kid I liked a lot who took some time to come on was Rico McCoy. Just on some bad teams there so he never gets mentioned but he was a thud hitter. He’s in that 2nd tier with guys like Bituli, Omar Gaither, Austin Johnson and Maggitt.
I liked Chris Ramseur who played along side Wilson, but wouldn't rate him top five or even top ten. Just enjoyed his play

McCoy was a good player and it was great to see Gaither really become the player we all hoped he would be later into his career.

Cool story, bro moment. Several years back my friend Brandon and I were tailgating by the railroad tracks and Eric Westmoreland strolls up. I can’t remember if he introduced himself or if we recognized him first, but I remember we both were just like “Holy $h1t, it’s Eric Westmoreland!” We we’re trading Jager bombs and were pretty lit when Eric walked up. We talked for a few minutes and did a couple of Jager bombs with him. Eric was a laid back dude and fun to talk to. I told him I wished he could suit up for the Vols that Saturday and he told me that I should suit up (I was a lot fitter back then). If you’re out there, Eric, you made a couple of Vols fans’ day, brother! I remember our beloved Vols getting trounced by the Ducks in a hell of a lightning storm.

he doesn't have any on field coaching experience.

Sure, but he's been a GA here before . . . and he's obviously played at the highest levels . . . etc . . . I can't imagine he couldn't coach up LBs . . . I was just curious if there was any particular inside info on this . . .

AJ doesn't belong in that group.....you also left out Leonard Little and Raynoch Thompson....

Over last 25 years --going back to '95....

1. Wilson
2. Little
3. Burnett
4. Thompson
5. Mayo
5. Westmoreland, Simon, Moore....

AJ had a lot of tackles over 5 yards down the field, but he would've never seen the field on D if he would've played from '95 thru 2007.

Last edited:
Reactions: de1conley
AJ doesn't belong in that group.....you also left out Leonard Little and Raynoch Thompson....

Over last 25 years --going back to '95....

1. Wilson
2. Little
3. Burnett
4. Thompson
5. Mayo
5. Westmoreland, Simon, Moore....

AJ had a lot of tackles over 5 yards down the field, but he would've never seen the field on D if he would've played from '95 thru 2007.
I disagree, I think he would have been better.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

okay...

AJ's athleticism and physicality were close to those guys....

But AJ lacked the speed to play on those defenses.
When you say he would've been better----he would not have been faster...and that was what kept him from being better.

So, AJ lacked the ability and speed to play OLB....

And I'm sorry, but no way that AJ was better than either Wilson or Mayo as the MLB in a 4-3.

No way that AJ could cover 20 yds down the field in a Tampa 2--which is what Wilson and Mayo had to do.

I would ask you to re-watch some of AJ's films....# of tackles doesn't = being a good LB, esp. when those tackles were beyond 5 yards down the field.

I'm certainly glad that AJ is making the most of his opportunity for the Broncos...but then again, the Broncos ain't all that good of a team right now.

Reactions: k-town_king

Exactly. AJ Johnson was a monster. That guy doesn’t remember how bad our D was and AJ had to fly around all over. AJ on a good D with good down lineman in front of him would’ve been a total wrecking ball.

AJ is in my top 5 easily for last 25 years. I’d bump Mayo before AJ and that’s saying a lot.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back