Quarterbacks Orange

WoodsmanVol

It takes wisdom to understand wisdom.
I'm neither a well-informed football scout nor a qualified QB evaluator. I'm just a smuck who thinks he knows more than he does and admits he doesn't.
Just the same, mulling over the game highlights of our two freshmen QBs I'm concluding that:

Harrison Bailey will be more like a Casey Clausen version QB. Very few have the sheer ball brilliance of Peyton Manning but he should be one heck of a QB just the same. Perhaps even a Brett Favre type gunslinger.

Jimmy Holiday, if he does play QB is more in the mold of Joshua Dobbs but has a predisposed tendency to run than passing the ball. Or a Lynn Bowden but a far better passer.

Either one will make the Vols an exciting team to watch. Now, going even farther out on a limb, I think JG will be better under the continued tutelage of Chaney. BUT he will win more games for what is surely an odd and hard to accept take for most of you. I insist that for whatever reason, from the get-go, JG, a dual-threat QB was discouraged from running. It seems that shackle is now lifted and we'll see a version of him thus far unseen and it will translate into wins.

Now, before jumping down my throat, remember my first sentence above. Beyond that, well just:

Attachments

• StarHawk.jpg
    StarHawk.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 37
Well for some reason i have a small feeling JG will be a tad bit better to and he should be he is a 5th yr senior. But there are two questions here... Will it be enough to hold off the others one, and two will it be enough to get us were as pruitt noted, were we EXPECT to be (winning the east). Either way its good to now have other options in the qb room, iron sharpens iron with all that competition someone is bound to emerge. My two cents

I'm neither a well-informed football scout nor a qualified QB evaluator. I'm just a smuck who thinks he knows more than he does and admits he doesn't.
Just the same, mulling over the game highlights of our two freshmen QBs I'm concluding that:

Harrison Bailey will be more like a Casey Clausen version QB. Very few have the sheer ball brilliance of Peyton Manning but he should be one heck of a QB just the same. Perhaps even a Brett Favre type gunslinger.

Jimmy Holiday, if he does play QB is more in the mold of Joshua Dobbs but has a predisposed tendency to run than passing the ball. Or a Lynn Bowden but a far better passer.

Either one will make the Vols an exciting team to watch. Now, going even farther out on a limb, I think JG will be better under the continued tutelage of Chaney. BUT he will win more games for what is surely an odd and hard to accept take for most of you. I insist that for whatever reason, from the get-go, JG, a dual-threat QB was discouraged from running. It seems that shackle is now lifted and we'll see a version of him thus far unseen and it will translate into wins.

Now, before jumping down my throat, remember my first sentence above. Beyond that, well just:[/QUOTE

Imo JG will start the season but not finish as starter. I just hope we one of the QBs on roster can take us to the next level like Manning did. We should have an elite defense in two yrs, something Manning didn’t have.

JG- i always wondered how he was considered dual threat as he lacks speed and isn’t elusive as a runner.

We don't know that as we've yet to see it. However, I think we might have seen what's possible during the USCjr and Gator Bowl games. With JG it's less about being elusive than picking up yardage instead of a sack. To really know about his running we may need to look at video of him prior to coming to Tennessee.

We don't know that as we've yet to see it. However, I think we might have seen what's possible during the USCjr and Gator Bowl games. With JG it's less about being elusive than picking up yardage instead of a sack. To really know about his running we may need to look at video of him prior to coming to Tennessee.
Or, him throwing th ball away instead of throwing into double and triple coverage. I would much rather have an incompletion or a scak than and interception. JG has had 4 years to learn how, when, and where to throw a football. I think his biggest problem is throwing the ball on time and hit the receiver in stride. He has to be able to anticipate where his receiver is going to be and hit him before the defense recovers from the receiver's break. I would have him on a short leash, but hope he can make the grade. I think HB will be ready by the middle of October with Spring and Fall practices behind him. We can not wait and waste his playing time if he is ready to play and JG doesn't improve and become a first rate QB.

Or, him throwing th ball away instead of throwing into double and triple coverage. I would much rather have an incompletion or a scak than and interception. JG has had 4 years to learn how, when, and where to throw a football. I think his biggest problem is throwing the ball on time and hit the receiver in stride. He has to be able to anticipate where his receiver is going to be and hit him before the defense recovers from the receiver's break. I would have him on a short leash, but hope he can make the grade. I think HB will be ready by the middle of October with Spring and Fall practices behind him. We can not wait and waste his playing time if he is ready to play and JG doesn't improve and become a first rate QB.

We'll know soon enough so let's see how the season unfolds.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I still wouldn't sleep on Maurer or Shrout. One year in the system, who knows how either one of them will progress. Seeing how the QB position shakes out is another reason I can't wait for the season to start.

Last edited:
Well for some reason i have a small feeling JG will be a tad bit better to and he should be he is a 5th yr senior. But there are two questions here... Will it be enough to hold off the others one, and two will it be enough to get us were as pruitt noted, were we EXPECT to be (winning the east). Either way its good to now have other options in the qb room, iron sharpens iron with all that competition someone is bound to emerge. My two cents

I agree, I think JG will be better but will it be enough to hold off HB and BM? HB could just come in take over. JG has several issues to work on like getting the ball out quicker. Even modest improvements in all areas can make him look a whole lot better.

BM like JG has areas to work on like forcing plays, mechanics and accuracy.

The good thing for JG is that it is year two in the same system with the same OC and perhaps the same Quarterbacks Coach.

FWIW, Chaney is JGs 4th OC at Tennessee. I think a better running game/OL will also take the pressure off of him or HB/BM too.

You lost me with idea that JG is some kind of dual threat QB, he is slower than molasses running, and even slower in reading defenses, is that the dual threat you are referring to?

Just sharing what I think about our QBs, nobody need agree with me. As for JG as dual threat, what do you call this? Why haven't we seen it at the UT?

JG probably has been discouraged from running, and rightfully so, because he isn’t very good at it.

I think he has run on many occasions, he just gets tackled quickly when he does. Not very quick, no first step and can't make defenders miss, so he just seems like he is not running much. Coach is correct, he is a pocket passer.

I agree, I think JG will be better but will it be enough to hold off HB and BM? HB could just come in take over. JG has several issues to work on like getting the ball out quicker. Even modest improvements in all areas can make him look a whole lot better.

BM like JG has areas to work on like forcing plays, mechanics and accuracy.

The good thing for JG is that it is year two in the same system with the same OC and perhaps the same Quarterbacks Coach.

FWIW, Chaney is JGs 4th OC at Tennessee. I think a better running game/OL will also take the pressure off of him or HB/BM too.

I like your reply the best of all, but I would add that BM (since we are using initials) will also benefit greatly from a full year in the system.

Back to JG though...While he certainly needs to improve his decision making on 3rd down, and in the red zone, it would be great if he can take a "step" in the athleticism department. He is by no means a dual threat, but if he could just add a bit to his speed and quickness, he might be able to keep a few more drives alive. Maybe that is too much to ask for a fifth year senior, but I think that is what he needs if he wants to stay on the field.

My guess would be that JG and HB will be sharing time on the field this year, with the occasional wildcat package for Hill or Holiday. Maybe BM gets a chance too, if he greatly improves overall. Shrout has a very good arm. I just don't know if he will be able to put it all together to run the team.
I don't know that much about Hill. Due to his experience, maybe he is the wildcard.

I just looked at our roster (UtSports.com). We have 7 qb's. That doesn't include Holiday and HB. That is a lot of competition. I bet there will be some attrition during/after Spring ball. It is a good problem to have.

Just sharing what I think about our QBs, nobody need agree with me. As for JG as dual threat, what do you call this? Why haven't we seen it at the UT?

I was just joking around but serious JG is just an average at best pocket passer. The reason he could run in high school is the kids are even slower than he is. College is a whole different level of speed, size and athletic ability, and then consider the SEC's speed, size, ability and we have what we see, a very slow running and slow thinking quarterback, that doesn't belong in the SEC.

I was just joking around but serious JG is just an average at best pocket passer. The reason he could run in high school is the kids are even slower than he is. College is a whole different level of speed, size and athletic ability, and then consider the SEC's speed, size, ability and we have what we see, a very slow running and slow thinking quarterback, that doesn't belong in the SEC.

It will be interesting to see how the QB situation unfolds by the O&W game or as the games proceed through the season.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

I think it is hard to evaluate players when they are not coming from the South. Overall, I believe the competition is just not as good. So, maybe that is your answer. He had good coaches, good receivers, and inferior competition.

VN Store

Back