David Johnson comments

I watched Jay Graham for many years. Remember his games at Alabama and Ohio State. I love Jay Graham...he is one of us. I have no idea who David Johnson was before coaching here. I know who would have a greater impact on me. VFL and NFL running back. He was fun to watch! Welcome home Coach Graham. Not even close when having to chose. This is our guy! Who cares what David Johnson said.

What he said was not all that bad. If he now says he doesn't trust what is going on at Tennessee that's in the area of their mothers wear combat boots as a recruiter. The Atlantic interview seems right, this comment sounds like a lot of hot wind at a recruiting meeting for FSU.

Agreed. He was going on a spiel about trusting Norvell, how he's trusted him all along, turned down LSU for him, and UT was kind of the "other" in the scenario. It's not as he came out with the intention of trashing Tennessee. In fact, if you ask me, he hesitated to say he didnt "trust what was going on" and he very quickly flipped it back to how he trusted Norvell. I think he mis-spoke and tried to fix it, because at first he said we didnt "fit" him, which sounds more accurate to me. Just because Norvell is his guy and he trusts him more than Pruitt doesnt mean he doesnt trust Pruitt. Just an unfortunate ramble that got blown out of proportion by an extreme headline imo

Vol fans can’t assume everything is hunkydory. The offense was still a mess last year. When you see what Jennings, Calloway and DWA do at the next level you’ll wonder “what the hell?” While the improvement in defense was evident, the offense looked like a **** show in the bowl game. It took a 4th quarter miracle to beat Indiana. So, maybe he has reason not to trust. That’s fine, I think Graham is an improvement.
Pruitt need to get his offensive staff to figure it out.

Sure they will be stellar at the next level. Look at what they did here without a QB. The offense looked like a $&@& show because JG was under center. When we get a QB here, we will start making serious strides of improvement on offense just as we have done on defense.

Reactions: onevol74
Sounds like a guy who might have been thinking about staying, but was told "bye Felicia" after dragging his feet, and Jay Graham showing interest in coming back to Knoxville.

Sounds to me like the usual occurrence of Vols fans getting all riled up over a trivial event and making a space pebble into a six-mile wide asteroid.

Last edited:
Vol fans can’t assume everything is hunkydory. The offense was still a mess last year. When you see what Jennings, Calloway and DWA do at the next level you’ll wonder “what the hell?” While the improvement in defense was evident, the offense looked like a **** show in the bowl game. It took a 4th quarter miracle to beat Indiana. So, maybe he has reason not to trust. That’s fine, I think Graham is an improvement.
Fix the head case at QB and you fix the offense. It is that simple.

This is slightly alarming. Stuff like this came out all the time about Butch before we learned he was a fraud. However, this doesn’t fit what anybody else says about Tennessee or Pruitt since Fulmer came back.

Yep and especially DWA. Still scratch my head wondering how we couldn't find a way to use him more often. Wasted talent which is probably why DW spurned us.

That’s what losing Malachi Wideman will do to ya...swing and miss. He woke up on 3rd base and thought he hit a triple.

It seems simple to me. He needs stability. A place to put down some roots. He knows that UT is on the up-swing. I am sure he realizes that there are better candidates, at this point, out there, like Jay Graham.
When a program is getting better, it attracts more experienced, more qualified, more accomplished people.
He has a personal relationship, with Norvell. Therefore, he has more trust in him, to keep him around.
It is a more stable situation, for a few years. UT will be upgrading, alot, if the process continues to work, for Coach Pruitt. Plus, with success, comes coordinators branching out to find their own way.
Oh, and he is probably trying to help lockdown recruiting, in Florida, as UT recruits there pretty heavily, I've heard.

I believe it was LWS that said Johnson and Pruitt might have a parting of ways a while back. I thought most of it had been put behind but apparently there’s still a little bad feelings here.

I believe it was LWS that said Johnson and Pruitt might have a parting of ways a while back. I thought most of it had been put behind but apparently there’s still a little bad feelings here.

Happens between employees and employers everywhere, but what he said and the way he said it...well..you can easily read into it. One of the worst things an potential employee could do in front of me is be critical or make claims against a former employer. Even if the claims were true, it sent up red flags and certainly had me questioning if I really wanted someone like that on my team. Just not the right way to handle things in my opinion. I'm sure the day will come when he regrets taking this approach.

He’s just playing it up with his new team and their boosters. But, that was STUPID. You never burn bridges and particularly in the college coaching realm. What is said and not recorded behind closed doors can be disputed but on video...... he’s an idiot. Good riddance.

Happens between employees and employers everywhere, but what he said and the way he said it...well..you can easily read into it. One of the worst things an potential employee could do in front of me is be critical or make claims against a former employer. Even if the claims were true, it sent up red flags and certainly had me questioning if I really wanted someone like that on my team. Just not the right way to handle things in my opinion. I'm sure the day will come when he regrets taking this approach.
Agreed. It usually never makes you look better to make someone else look bad.

This is slightly alarming. Stuff like this came out all the time about Butch before we learned he was a fraud. However, this doesn’t fit what anybody else says about Tennessee or Pruitt since Fulmer came back.
But it was Jay Graham that was the first to get the hell up outta here. He’s back, so that has to say something. Word is Pruitt doesn’t mince words.

Perhaps, he is head to head with Tennessee for the commitment of one or more recruits.

It also doesn't fit what David Johnson said literally 3 weeks ago when he took that job and held an exit interview.

Reactions: Billy Ratliff
I swear I think some fans on this forum go out of their way to be pissed off about anything.....
So, David Johnson says he didn't trust what was going on at TN, so what.... this is nothing.......nothing...

VN Store

Back