Recruiting a worry

recruiting is weak, even with the bad start very disappointed. Wiffed on most our big names really, butch jones staff recruited better. Way better...no way we break top 15. I don’t even see us chasing the 5 star talent this year.
Yeah numbers aren’t everything but we are not recruiting well at all right now. We may be better next year but prob dip again. Pruitt needs results next year or may get worse. I hope to be proven wrong and they cobble together a respectable sec class. Just sucks to be 9 or 10th in sec
Hahahahahahahaha

And we did.

Good job, Pruitt. Now, learn to play the best QB and maybe we'll win some ballgames next year.

View attachment 259643
Right where we need to be! I said Tennessee needs to recruit top 10 nationally/top 5 in the SEC to have a realistic shot of competing and we did just that this year. We just need to stay here consistently year after year. We can't start doing like Fulmer did at the end of his tenure where one year he'd have a top 3 class and the next year it wouldn't be in the top 20.

Last edited:
recruiting is weak, even with the bad start very disappointed. Wiffed on most our big names really, butch jones staff recruited better. Way better...no way we break top 15. I don’t even see us chasing the 5 star talent this year.
Yeah numbers aren’t everything but we are not recruiting well at all right now. We may be better next year but prob dip again. Pruitt needs results next year or may get worse. I hope to be proven wrong and they cobble together a respectable sec class. Just sucks to be 9 or 10th in sec

Do you feel dumb???

Why not celebrate it? The current rankings are the opposite of definitive and we won’t know the reality for 3-4 years. Read the Athletic’s class rerankings to see how teams’ classes proved to be dozens of spots better than their original rankings on the field - and vice versa. We just closed the season AND recruiting cycle on very high notes. Our staff appears to recognize FB players when they see ‘em and also how to coach ‘em up. No reason not to be optimistic unless you just dig pessimism.

I never said anything at all about not celebrating it. My problem was the condescending nature of the comments. Almost like, haha, don't you feel stupid now? On this message board if you say anything negative or critical at all you are chastised and basically called ignorant.

The class closed strong. I hope these young men are coached up and compete at a high level. But sometimes these insufferable twats are too much.

Reactions: vettefool

Yeah...😀.
You said it big guy!

Everyone throw their questions to the wind because you sir have all the right answers!!😅

I never said anything at all about not celebrating it. My problem was the condescending nature of the comments. Almost like, haha, don't you feel stupid now? On this message board if you say anything negative or critical at all you are chastised and basically called ignorant.

The class closed strong. I hope these young men are coached up and compete at a high level. But sometimes these insufferable twats are too much.

To be fair a lot of posts on recruiting in the main forum are ignorant. I wouldn’t say it’s always bc the posters are stupid but instead bc most don’t follow recruiting. You’ve got several negative posters that are almost a little too gleeful when the team is suffering. If those “insufferable twats” don’t bother you beating their chest about how we suck then I don’t see why you would have a problem with people calling them out after the fact.

At the end of the day it’s about whether this coach improved this team and I not only look at the additions through recruiting but also the players we’ve brought in through the transfer portal and what we’ve added as far as our coaching staff. I think honestly we’ve improved a lot and that should be celebrated.

Right where we need to be! I said Tennessee needs to recruit top 10 nationally/top 5 in the SEC to have a realistic shot of competing and we did just that this year. We just need to stay here consistently year after year. We can't start doing like Fulmer did at the of his tenure where one year he'd have a top 3 class and the next year it wouldn't be in the top 20.
I would be ecstatic to have Pruitt be the winningest active coach in college football with a NC under his belt.

Maybe this time around we won't fire him for a losing season or two, consigning ourselves to 15 more years in the wilderness.

Come on. We all know that there are certain posters who bash our football program at every chance. They get what they have earned. I just hope we continue to progress as we did last year. It is fun to be able to nail the negavols as our sports programs improve. Most of them are trolls anyway.

I would be ecstatic to have Pruitt be the winningest active coach in college football with a NC under his belt.

Maybe this time around we won't fire him for a losing season or two, consigning ourselves to 15 more years in the wilderness.
I wasn't trying to bash Fulmer. What I said was completely true though. At the END of Fulmer's tenure, his recruiting became wildly inconsistent. We'd have a top 3 class one year and then the next year it'd be outside the top 20. The truth is, he and his staff started getting outworked by younger, hungrier coaches in the league. Just remember, Kiffin having to start two 265 lb walk ons on the offensive line was because of what happened under Fulmer's watch.

To be fair a lot of posts on recruiting in the main forum are ignorant. I wouldn’t say it’s always bc the posters are stupid but instead bc most don’t follow recruiting. You’ve got several negative posters that are almost a little too gleeful when the team is suffering. If those “insufferable twats” don’t bother you beating their chest about how we suck then I don’t see why you would have a problem with people calling them out after the fact.

At the end of the day it’s about whether this coach improved this team and I not only look at the additions through recruiting but also the players we’ve brought in through the transfer portal and what we’ve added as far as our coaching staff. I think honestly we’ve improved a lot and that should be celebrated.

I'm not gleeful at all that the team I rooted for since I was 8 years old is struggling and became a laughing stock of the conference.
I didn't root or cheer for anyone who put the team down. I only insisted they are entitled to their opinion and we're looking at things objectively. Many people on here if you are critical of anything, play your management, time management, insist you are gleeful or negative.
so yes, I did chastise people for coming in being arrogant uneducated while putting someone else down for their opinion. they're all opinions. Whether yours or mine or theirs, they're just opinions and everyone's entitled to their own. People should be able to voice their opinion and not be chastise or put down. Get it?

Come on. We all know that there are certain posters who bash our football program at every chance. They get what they have earned. I just hope we continue to progress as we did last year. It is fun to be able to nail the negavols as our sports programs improve. Most of them are trolls anyway.

There are also posters on here who absolutely went all-in with Dooley and Butch Jones only to be burned. so don't mistake being a troll for being cynical or cautious in blindly showing faith to someone who hasn't exactly earned it. There is a difference.

I am one of the guys who went all-in on lane kiffin. All-in on Derek Dooley, all in on Butch Jones. I'm tired of being blindly faithful to anyone who holds the position just because meh Vols...

Reactions: I40flyer
Celebrating a middle-of-the-road recruiting class in the SEC is delusional. I hope it turns out to be a really great class.
^^^This is the part where you said something about not celebrating it. Specifically, if a fan celebrates it he’s delusional. Which is strange and conflicts with your comments below, where you complain about people making fun of others for their opinions.
Footnote, if you can state with certainty which of the top recruiting classes will turn out the best on the field I hope you’re getting paid for your skills.

There are also posters on here who absolutely went all-in with Dooley and Butch Jones only to be burned. so don't mistake being a troll for being cynical or cautious in blindly showing faith to someone who hasn't exactly earned it. There is a difference.

I am one of the guys who went all-in on lane kiffin. All-in on Derek Dooley, all in on Butch Jones. I'm tired of being blindly faithful to anyone who holds the position just because meh Vols...
Yep, I was all in on Kiffin and then Butch. I’d guess most of the people who are old enough to vote were with me, although they might not admit it. Never thought Dooley was going to work out. Let’s hope all the Pruitt lovers are right as rain. We will see, recruiting was a lot better than I would have guessed. Let’s let next season play out before we determine if the corner was turned. QB play and defense will determine that.

I'm not gleeful at all that the team I rooted for since I was 8 years old is struggling and became a laughing stock of the conference.
I didn't root or cheer for anyone who put the team down. I only insisted they are entitled to their opinion and we're looking at things objectively. Many people on here if you are critical of anything, play your management, time management, insist you are gleeful or negative.
so yes, I did chastise people for coming in being arrogant uneducated while putting someone else down for their opinion. they're all opinions. Whether yours or mine or theirs, they're just opinions and everyone's entitled to their own. People should be able to voice their opinion and not be chastise or put down. Get it?
Well good luck with that. It’s an internet message board. You’re free to give opinions just like others are free to disagree with them sometimes negatively.

Reactions: butchna
Well good luck with that. It’s an internet message board. You’re free to give opinions just like others are free to disagree with them sometimes negatively.

But yet I can't have mine without having to defend it from a bunch people? I wasn't talking to half of the people I'm now responding to. But yet they come in with her two cents like there's some sort of expert.
I never asked anyone to justify their opinion, have I?

Yep, I was all in on Kiffin and then Butch. I’d guess most of the people who are old enough to vote were with me, although they might not admit it. Never thought Dooley was going to work out. Let’s hope all the Pruitt lovers are right as rain. We will see, recruiting was a lot better than I would have guessed. Let’s let next season play out before we determine if the corner was turned. QB play and defense will determine that.

the same people on here who are blindly following Pruitt are the same people, probably, who were calling for JG's job. I can't tell you how many times I've heard coaches talk about the biggest improvements are made from year 1 to year 2.

I hope I'm wrong, and I hope I have to eat crow but it's having too many times that I blindly followed a coach to be burned.

^^^This is the part where you said something about not celebrating it. Specifically, if a fan celebrates it he’s delusional. Which is strange and conflicts with your comments below, where you complain about people making fun of others for their opinions.

Footnote, if you can state with certainty which of the top recruiting classes will turn out the best on the field I hope you’re getting paid for your skills.

Did I not say I hope the class would work out? And there are people out there celebrating it. Don't say there's not that's being disingenuous. Stop trying to cover for people who find happiness and mediocrity or don't understand what recruiting classes used to be.

Don't pretend like there's not people out here it's pumping over 8th in the SEC... 8th!

Cynical and cautious have a different language that what is being called out. After the bad start, a poster asked if anyone was still “stupid enough” to think Pruitt was going to succeed and I said “PRESENT”. My faith was tested, but I was cautious...say even cynical that the trending negative sentiment was locked in fact. Took grief for it so cry me a river for anyone having to own and choke down dry crow.

the same people on here who are blindly following Pruitt are the same people, probably, who were calling for JG's job. I can't tell you how many times I've heard coaches talk about the biggest improvements are made from year 1 to year 2.

I hope I'm wrong, and I hope I have to eat crow but it's having too many times that I blindly followed a coach to be burned.
That’s another strawman. I back Pruitt as I backed Butch and Dooley. If he was ever to lose grasp of the program...he’d lose my support. It’s not “blind”...it’s open minded.

Did I not say I hope the class would work out? And there are people out there celebrating it. Don't say there's not that's being disingenuous. Stop trying to cover for people who find happiness and mediocrity or don't understand what recruiting classes used to be.

Don't pretend like there's not people out here it's pumping over 8th in the SEC... 8th!
Not precision, dude, just some peoples' estimates.

Maybe you should go to the beach or something.

What? Yeah people are celebrating it - including me. It looks like a very good class. It doesn’t look like a mediocre class. The disconnect here is that you seem to think classes 1,2,3...idk what the cutoff is, but you think those are “good enough.” However, the very next class in the rankings, #4 or #6 or whatever, that class is absolutely not good enough, a failure, and means that UT cannot succeed.

And that concept, my friend, is a giant steaming crock of s**t. Memba when Butch Jones signed a top 5 class? How’d it play out on the field.... Take a look at any rerankings of recruiting classes that the various outlets do. The idea that the initial signing class rankings translate 100% to college is simply false. In looking at the Athletic’s recent analysis of the 2015 class, the lack of accuracy is obvious. Of the post-grad reranked classes, only half of the original top ten classes turned out to be top ten. Of the top 5, only 2. Recruits routinely under and over-perform their rankings. Coaching staffs are either good, bad, or avg at developing players. Coaches are either good, bad, or avg at making in-game decisions, running a whole FB program, hiring/firing assistants, etc, etc, etc. I haven’t even mentioned the way the ball bounces, injuries, targeting penalties, and inconsistent referees.

So if you want to sit here and lose your mind over a couple spots in some made up recruiting rankings then that’s your prerogative. But I’m saying to you that that’s pretty stupid, objectively speaking. Most fans, and many non-fan media members, recognize that UT and Pruitt have a lot of positive momentum right now. So I choose to celebrate that today, who knows how I’ll feel in 3-4 years. I’ll worry about that when it gets here.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back