Tenn...21
SC..........6

Pts off TO's
Tenn....6
SC........28

Pts in the paint
Tenn...20
SC.......30

Same old, same old. Too many TO's, mostly committed by the usual culprit(s). Weak post play when Key comes out. Having KK on the court is like us playing 4 on 5. I'd be happy having all her minutes going to McCoy, who's a better defender, has better hustle, and is better at establishing herself in the post. Use Jazz at PG 100% of the time and set up plays for Horston as the SG.

That`s my point Key needs to learn let her get banged around she not gonna back down let her play thur her mistakes. SC went inside at will once Key came out.

Early in the season, Jordan was hitting Key successfully
in the box. Remember that ? Seemed to be her favorite
target back then. Less turnover back then also.
Wonder what happened to the freshmen to freshmen connection?

Early in the season Key could out jump and outmuscle less athletic post and grab the passes that are now turnovers against more athletic teams. This is why Kellie would’ve preferred a tougher schedule early on. No matter how many times a player is told it’s a bad pass it’s hard to get that buy in if the post player catches it and scores. The thing I’ve noticed is they make things much more difficult with the angles they choose to use on post entry passes especially Horston. Once the switch finally turns on for Horston mentally then we will be a very good team, but right now her turnovers are killing us against highly ranked teams. Kellie took some lumps with young players last year and it paid off during tournament time. I’m hoping this will be the case for this team.

Defense is wonderful. Rebounds are double wonderful. The game has changed, you need to score 80 or more points to win the big games. Turnovers will lose the game for you. The loss to South Carolina don't hurt us because all the SEC will lose to them. Tennessee needs to take care of business and we will finish 2nd or 3rd in the SEC. As always go Lady Vols.

Early in the season Key could out jump and outmuscle less athletic post and grab the passes that are now turnovers against more athletic teams. This is why Kellie would’ve preferred a tougher schedule early on. No matter how many times a player is told it’s a bad pass it’s hard to get that buy in if the post player catches it and scores. The thing I’ve noticed is they make things much more difficult with the angles they choose to use on post entry passes especially Horston. Once the switch finally turns on for Horston mentally then we will be a very good team, but right now her turnovers are killing us against highly ranked teams. Kellie took some lumps with young players last year and it paid off during tournament time. I’m hoping this will be the case for this team.

The SEC is not MVC she needs to be on the floor.

Not playing Air Force and East Tn Beauty School now.

KJH needs to let Key play thur her mistakes do she get`s knocked off the blocks at times yes. Let her take the punishment down low that is the only way she will learn. She never backed down today against Boston. Boston did not score when Key was in the game. SC is a very talented team with very athletic players SC made the call to a attack Key in the post and it was sent back every time. I`m not sure why we even double down all the time and leave the three wide open.

This...I thought Kareem Abdul-Jabbar had apparently entered the game for SC the way we were sagging in so much. Did not understand the strategy.

Couldn’t this team stink on defense and still be turning over the ball that much? I think this team excels on defense because they are buying in. I think they are provided more opportunities to prove they are good on defense because of the turnovers.

Remember last year we had plenty of opportunities to be good on defense with turnovers and that wasn’t the case. I’m just saying

BINGO !!!
They are buying in because they know if they don't there are repercussions and if the do, they are rewarded with PT...
I will chart the turnovers for this game tomorrow (there is another sport/game I will probably watch tonight).
I wonder if AL focuses and tracks these

Something or someone has gotten in Jordan's head and she is not playing the game she has to play to be a success.

Players get tunnel vision if they are only applauded for one aspect of their game. Everybody clamored to TK's shot blocking and that, by proxy, excuses her from being a scoring post.

Same thing happened to Meme. She was "the closer"...the defensive phenom. And she began to play for that one accolade. It took time and effort and much effort for me to get her to understand that there were other aspects of her game that she was ignoring.

Once she understood that she could do both, without losing her initial identity, she started filling the entire stat line. Someone from the staff has to be able to see this happening, for EACH player and address it in private with the player.

I don't know if AL Brown is in tune with this thought, but he needs to be and he needs to find the right person for each player that goes into a singular focus.

I;m not picking at her (Love the kid) but T-Key had 9 blocks,,,phenomenal,,,Yet, no field goal attempts (and I know she can score),,,3 rebounds (and I know she can get boards),,, She had more blocks than baskets in the Vandy game,,,and more blocks than baskets in the LSU game.......pattern?

Come on AL, if I can see this you can!

Defense A Bright Spot: USC entered the game averaging 88.8 ppg. and shooting 49.3 percent in conference games. Tennessee held the Gamecocks to just 69 points on 37.7 percent shooting on the day. We played well enough to be competitive but could not overcome a turnover every 3 possessions and shoot only 38%, better than USCs 35%.. If we are going to turn the ball over like that we have to hit layups and shoot 50% from the floor 40% from three. Seems it would be easier to value the ball. When we do we can compete

Defense A Bright Spot: USC entered the game averaging 88.8 ppg. and shooting 49.3 percent in conference games. Tennessee held the Gamecocks to just 69 points on 37.7 percent shooting on the day. We played well enough to be competitive but could not overcome a turnover every 3 possessions and shoot only 38%, better than USCs 35%.. If we are going to turn the ball over like that we have to hit layups and shoot 50% from the floor 40% from three. Seems it would be easier to value the ball. When we do we can compete

At this point, moral victories are demoralizing.
Holding a team to 69 is only good if we score 70

Reactions: Manning Up
At this point, moral victories are demoralizing.
Holding a team to 69 is only good if we score 70

Have to disagree. While losses shouldn't be occasions to celebrate, at least it's better than having a total disaster. Have we blocked out viral video moments from last year?

If we're playing good (not great) defense, at least we're halfway there. That should allow us to focus on the offense and turnovers.

Have to disagree. While losses shouldn't be occasions to celebrate, at least it's better than having a total disaster. Have we blocked out viral video moments from last year?

If we're playing good (not great) defense, at least we're halfway there. That should allow us to focus on the offense and turnovers.

Earlier in the season, yes, but part of true growth is not accepting "good enough"
Pat didn't.
I don't.

BINGO !!!
They are buying in because they know if they don't there are repercussions and if the do, they are rewarded with PT...
I will chart the turnovers for this game tomorrow (there is another sport/game I will probably watch tonight).
I wonder if AL focuses and tracks these

Something or someone has gotten in Jordan's head and she is not playing the game she has to play to be a success.

Players get tunnel vision if they are only applauded for one aspect of their game. Everybody clamored to TK's shot blocking and that, by proxy, excuses her from being a scoring post.

Same thing happened to Meme. She was "the closer"...the defensive phenom. And she began to play for that one accolade. It took time and effort and much effort for me to get her to understand that there were other aspects of her game that she was ignoring.

Once she understood that she could do both, without losing her initial identity, she started filling the entire stat line. Someone from the staff has to be able to see this happening, for EACH player and address it in private with the player.

I don't know if AL Brown is in tune with this thought, but he needs to be and he needs to find the right person for each player that goes into a singular focus.

I;m not picking at her (Love the kid) but T-Key had 9 blocks,,,phenomenal,,,Yet, no field goal attempts (and I know she can score),,,3 rebounds (and I know she can get boards),,, She had more blocks than baskets in the Vandy game,,,and more blocks than baskets in the LSU game.......pattern?

Come on AL, if I can see this you can!

I don’t think Key deserves all the blame when it comes to her shot attempts and slight tunnel vision. Maybe I feel this way because I played PG, but her guards are doing a horrible job of getting her the ball. When you are battling and battling and not getting a touch eventually you stop fighting as hard inside and save your energy for defense. Almost every game Key has been on the floor with Rennie she has gotten a good touch. Same for the other post players so it can be done. I just hope this is addressed sooner rather than later.

Well I feel better about things now.

Reactions: creekdipper
Oh, totally agree that the offense is totally unacceptable in these games in which yhey lose their composure. The overall turnovers are consistently bad even when we win, but when we are swarmed and guarded closely by a quick team, we look totally out of synch. And we have to learn to play against physical teams when fouls aren't being called. Our inability to handle that got us down early today.

And...the worst part is...for the first time this season, it looked like many of our players just gave up and conceded in the 4th quarter.

That being said, I'm just saying that it's better to be good in one phase of the game than in none. That makes the search for a fix easier.

We're not Ole Miss. And we can see other teams losing today or being pushed to the brink. Yeah, we stunk it up in the first half and the last 2/3 of the second half. But we were within 9 of the #1 team in the country in the third quarter and were making a push. If Lou hits those open threes, we're right back in it. Despite that, some people had already thrown in the towel at that point.

Put it this way: We'd all like a full glass. But better to have a half-full glass than an empty one.

We're not Ole Miss. And we can see other teams losing today or being pushed to the brink. Yeah, we stunk it up in the first half and the last 2/3 of the second half. But we were within 9 of the #1 team in the country in the third quarter and were making a push. .[/QUOTE]
And she put KK in the game

We're not Ole Miss. And we can see other teams losing today or being pushed to the brink. Yeah, we stunk it up in the first half and the last 2/3 of the second half. But we were within 9 of the #1 team in the country in the third quarter and were making a push. .
And she put KK in the game[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and I thought that was a mistake unless Tamari was totally gassed. We had momentum on our side at that point and were holding SC to 3 points. That would be a valid thing to bring up at the presser.

Reactions: glv98
And she put KK in the game

Yeah, and I thought that was a mistake unless Tamari was totally gassed. We had momentum on our side at that point and were holding SC to 3 points. That would be a valid thing to bring up at the presser.[/QUOTE]

Key did have some foul trouble but because KK had shown she would not be able to compete at this level game, I wondered what they were saving Key for. But once again, KJH opted for KK and the result was predictable.

Also at that juncture, on a crucial possesion, Davis dribbled off her knee completely unforced, no SC player near, and it went off Horston who had not yet crossed half court. And just like that, any chance of respectability was gone. Margin of error is so, so slim for an up and comer against an elite and we blew it with a bad sub and a bonehead t.o. Frustrating.

Also thought it was an odd decision was not to start Davis in the 4th qtr. That's a question for the next pressor as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volfaninfl2

VN Store

Back