Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the real issue is the gubment got into the bidness of loaning 18 year olds (who can't legally smoke or drink!) a lifetime of debt to "chase their dreams" so now guess what got inflated? Cost of attending college.

@T Dog pointed it out already, everything else cost more why the worker makes the same. It's insane and most of the politicians are so far removed by this generation of working class they don't see the issue.

SEC schools are only schools getting 50 mil.
Paying athletes $25,000 would bankrupt most athletic departments except for P5 and some P5 would struggle.
Has to be equitable across the board.
why not pay all athletes minimum wage for whatever hours they are training. they do 32-40 hours per week....40/week is $15K per year. Student athletes represent the University....they bring value to the University.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
And that’s great. A flexible dieting approach would be to stick with that low carb approach almost all the time and if you go to Chili’s, set a calorie target which is reasonable and enjoy and evening out without necessarily moving backwards. 👍🏻

How about 1 cheat meal per week where I eat everything at Chili’s?

Reactions: quadlee21
Well the real issue is the gubment got into the bidness of loaning 18 year olds (who can't legally smoke or drink!) a lifetime of debt to "chase their dreams" so now guess what got inflated? Cost of attending college.

@T Dog pointed it out already, everything else cost more why the worker makes the same. It's insane and most of the politicians are so far removed by this generation of working class they don't see the issue.

Also there’s no incentive to paying off your student loans early or even on time really. Luckily for me i worker in public sector for a while so i got enrolled in forgiveness and its transferred. So this whole student loan debt crisis isn’t going away ever and it’s watered down the job market for degree holders. Especially for “business” school degrees. Feels like every Tom dick and Mary has a marketing, communications, BA degree now.

Reactions: T Dog
Another question that has to be answered is the taxation issue on an extra money. Suddenly athletes become employees.

Lol “limited”. The most ignored rule in all of sports.
Yeah, but what happens when athletes start getting paid and become disgruntled. Many labor laws are ignored in college sports. I am very familiar with how it works. I was responding to paying them for hours training and saying you can’t pay for 40 when you have the 20 rule.

The person receiving a sum of 10k (or more) would then have to report said money though, wouldn't they? WOULDN'T THEY???
no. not if it's less than 14k. That could have changed recently but I doubt Trump would have taxed that given his position. I cant deduct my moving expenses anymore though. I'm bitter about that.

Reactions: T Dog and Ace
Completely ignorant on tax related stuff but couldn’t you classify it as some kind of endowment or grant?

Federal grants are not taxable - ie Pell Grant as long as used for tuition or books. Other scholarships are not taxable for tuition and books, but are taxable for housing and food. I am not sure if IRS enforces these rules or how aware people are if the rules. But by the letter of the law, scholarships not used for books or tuition become taxable income for the student or their parents. All student who receive any aid receive a tax form each year showing taxable portion.
I am aware of one state that even enforces taxes on coach’s who receive apparel from their school. The apparel is considered as part of taxable income and schools are required to deduct state and federal taxes for their value.

Reactions: Volnukem
You are severely overvaluing a bachelors degree. It’s becoming less and less valuable the more people that get them. A lot of trade school programs are making more money and becoming more valuable now. So this whole thing Of acting like the Provided opportunity they are given to pursue a degree is this million dollar opportunity is just silly to me.

Idk what your career field is but would you be ok if your boss gave you a new contract for the next five years where you’re not being paid actual money but instead having all of your “expenses” covered (housing, meals, insurance) but you still have to find a way to pay for car, phone, gas, social life expenses...etc but after 5 years you MIGHT (but unlikely) get a substantial promotion and pay raise to real money.

Also this stipends you speak of, do not go to every athlete, and when they do they are about 2500$ a year.
If it was the opportunity to make millions? Yes, no wait scratch that, HELL YES

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Tennessee could absolutely do that. Along with some other institutions. The issue that muddles all this up is equity. With legal ramifications because to the way Title IX codes are written. Many sports programs at universities do not make any profit so with no profit in a free market those programs go away. The answer to that could be so what; that means less resources wasted on sports that the market is obviously not demanding or else they would be profitable. I do not think the powers that be in higher education are ready to make that "so what" declaration at this point. Do you?

This is true.
Everyone working numbers based on what UT can afford but I don't want to throw away all the programs that can't afford that amount.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
The "average" unlimited phone plan is about $100 or so for one line. That's $1200 a year, the stipend can easily cover than AND the roughly $75 or so a month you pay for car insurance.

On scholarship athletes honestly don't have any "bills" to speak of other than a few luxury ones... there's been a vocal few that have made it out to be like "living in a 3rd world country" but they don't wtf they are talking about honestly, US privilege and all. Going to bed hungry...listen if you ate 2 or 3 meals THAT SAME DAY you ain't going to bed hungry, you don't know what hungry is.

I still see no issues with player's profiting off their own likeness, because ultimately that will require said player to do a bit of side hustle/work themselves. I get both sides of the argument, but I also don't want to see football or men's basketball (small portion of the larger picture) ruin the opportunity for other student athletes to use their talents to help offset the cost of attending college.

It's not the fault of the university that a lot of these athletes don't take advantage of the main benefit of them being on scholarship, you're getting basically 24/7 free tutoring and no cost to take courses. If you take the same bogus course 15 times and leave UNC after a junior with next to no credits towards a degree that's on you ultimately. Plenty of great college athletes have earned amazing degrees and never played a down in professional sports.
The free tutoring is an awesome benefit. I know of a G5 school that guarantees all athletes job placement at graduation too, even to the point of hiring several athletes

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back