Game Thread : #22/22 LADY VOLS AT VANDERBILT

Shot clock violation not the worst thing to happen - time off the clock.

Just 4 t.o.s 2nd half, gonna keep it under 20 for the game unless we come up with a flurry here, and you know that could happen

Glad we got this game don't know what is gonna happen in the next five. Minus 12 shots to Vandy tonight has been our usual way to play we just out shoot them from the field. That may not be the case in most of the upcoming game. The honest truth we should beat Vandy by 20 plus but just glad to win.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I can see why Jordy was 2nd highest rated player in high school really Athletic and smooth. Offensively though she is struggling to finish at this level. Hopefully and I believe it will offseason workouts she will finish next year.

Reactions: Bret178 and glv98
T Key as well needs great offseason. I believe many on this sight believe she was a top 10 player in what they expect from her. She was top 50 for a reason but has top 10 potential. Just needs big offseason working on post moves and strength

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Here we go next five SC, Miss St., LSU, Texas A&M, Arkansas. The last three at home Vandy, at home Ole Miss, on road to Auburn. I would be happy with 5 and 3. If we do better would be more than awesome.

Vandy almost played Newby into another injury limping at the end of game. They played her 26 minutes bet she wasn't supposed to go that long.

Key and Horston will become great players. I just think they have hit the Freshman wall.

Yeah I think Coach is managing minutes for Tamari right now. Hoping to give her a boost for some of these big games to come. We were fortunate to get a nice game from Kasi and McCoy so she could rest her some today.

I thought she might have been sending a message to Tamari last game, but I think she’s just trying to save her legs a little.

Reactions: ttharp
Vandy played well, for them. Don't seem like that bad a team.

Not going to start worrying about So Car until in the morning. Alot to be happy about tonight.

Rennia Davis has become a reliable go to player. Did not get mental over having a tough first half. Seems SO much more comfortable and composed this year. May be headed toward a monster Sr year, So happy for her.

Jaz! Again, I want her miraculous recovery studied and replicated. Another steady game where she contributes in so many ways.

McCoy definitely brings energy and drive, and had some very nice moments. But still has the limitations of all our posts, a little slow afoot and why oh why can NONE of them jump? She might make a really good compliment to Key, would like to try this for awhile.

Lou Brown is the near perfect role player, and love trading her around with energizer, and important contributor tonight, Rae Burrell.

Ya'll this sound like pieces are falling into place. At least until Sunday.

Key has lost her edge she is letting physical play get her frustrated. I thought she got a couple bad calls tonight you have to keep playing not let it get to you.

I think she hit the wall and was getting beat up a little. I want to believe she’s going to re-emerge in some of these big games.

Vandy played well, for them. Don't seem like that bad a team.

Not going to start worrying about So Car until in the morning. Alot to be happy about tonight.

Rennia Davis has become a reliable go to player. Did not get mental over having a tough first half. Seems SO much more comfortable and composed this year. May be headed toward a monster Sr year, So happy for her.

Jaz! Again, I want her miraculous recovery studied and replicated. Another steady game where she contributes in so many ways.

McCoy definitely brings energy and drive, and had some very nice moments. But still has the limitations of all our posts, a little slow afoot and why oh why can NONE of them jump? She might make a really good compliment to Key, would like to try this for awhile.

Lou Brown is the near perfect role player, and love trading her around with energizer, and important contributor tonight, Rae Burrell.

Ya'll this sound like pieces are falling into place. At least until Sunday.

Nice analysis! And this Vandy team with this lineup is actually a pretty good team. Newby and Fasoula make a huge difference for them. They were playing well before they caught the injury bug again.

Reactions: glv98
I don't know why we don't play an entire game like we played in the second half. Rennia was really attacking in that half she got fouled a couple times with no call.

Reactions: VolBall09
Sometimes coaches have it in for certain
players and they end up riding the bench.
She might end up on the transfer portal.

We don’t know the story there at all. There are any number of reasons a player might not enter the game. Not all of them have to do with coaching decisions. Don’t go predicting transfers lol.

Overall review:

Sure, this was by far Tennessee’s best game, BUT, let’s remember where our teams have been the last few years. Tennessee would’ve lost this game last year. We were down by 8 at one point. We found a way to overcome our mistakes, and we got the W. No, we can’t play this way against South Carolina, but kudos to our ladies for finding a way to get the W.

KK did make mistakes, but I liked her aggressiveness in the 2nd half, on the defense and offensive end.

Rennia did what she always does, and led this team from start to finish! Just needs to make them layups, and we’re good!

Jasmine and Jordan, the duo point guards, love the chemistry they have been creating. We haven’t had this in years! I love Jasmine being aggressive, because this was one of those games where we needed her scoring, and she really stepped up. Jordan played under control in the 2nd half, and opened up the paint with her inside scoring.

McCoy came in and did all the little things! She scored when she needed too, renounced when she needed too, and just stuck with it. I love that! We need her!

Rae! She is instant offense all around! I love her as a scoring threat, she really can take the load off Rennia! I hate to see her injured (possibly cramps) and hope she will be okay.

Lou did what she needed to do tonight. No, she didn’t score much, and no she didn’t block shots, but she is the only player we have willing to take that charge, (something other teams do to us all the time) and she finally got that charge! We need her going down the stretch! plus, she can stretch out the floor by shooting the 3!

Harris came in and provided a bucket, got some rebounds, and minus the throw away turnover, did what she needed to do. Most people may not see the value in her, but I do think she is a scoring option from 10 feet out. She can shoot that jump shot, and we really should draw some plays up for her. We have to be able to pull surprises against teams.

Tamari, is sometimes out worked and gets frustrated with the physicality of the game, but she is the leagues leading shot blocker. I think her size is vital to our team. She just needs to stay aggressive under control! Once you get the right attitude, everything else comes to fruition. Tamari is a great post player, and we are so blessed to have her!

Rennie and Emily - While they did not play tonight, for reasons unknown, I am thankful to have them. I do believe we need the outside shot of Rennie, and we need the inside presence of Emily. I know many think Emily isn’t ready for the bigger games, but I think she might surprise us all!

And of course Green, we miss you and wish your recovery well! We will need you next year!

To sum it up (pun intended), we may not be winning every game, turning the ball over more than we’d like, or even being talked about winning it all, but we are still TENNESSEE. We as fans do not need to give up on this program! Kellie has done an exceptional job, way better than Holly could’ve done. Kellie is a breath of fresh air, and it’s time to back her up fully and let her bring the Lady Vols another trophy!

I’m calling it, UT upsets no. 1 SC. (We’ve done it before!)

As always, go LADY VOLS!

VN Store

Back