Coronavirus (No politics)

Anybody worried about this?
Nope.

Edit 19 months later 🤪: Don’t know what made this pop up again, and a bunch of posts disappeared. But someone asked if we were concerned about this new virus, and I replied “No.” We had just gotten back from Havana JazzFest, and it’s dang near impossible for tourists in Cuba to get functioning Internet access, so I’d never heard of it at that point. Ah well.

Last edited:
As I said in the other thread, I think it's concerning. The Chinese know more about it than anyone and they are quarantining 60 million people, shutting down schools, and their medical professionals are going around in full hazmat suits.

It will be out of the news by the end of the month.

Edit 3-15: Because a lot of people seem to be discovering g this thread and not really paying attention to the dates I wanted to clarify. I said this at the end of January. It was somewhat tongue in cheek. I did expect it to level off by the end of Feb but I was wrong. I did not expect it to get to the levels we have reached as of mid March. I have since become more concerned. Everyone should be taking this much more seriously. DONT PANIC. But head the warnings of health officials, CDC, and WHO.

Last edited:
Why do these plagues always seem to develop in China? And how the hell can they trace it back so quickly to dead animal sold in an open market. Very peculiar
The rural areas of China are still very 3rd world. They have a lot of old traditions in eating weird stuff and other things they consider aphrodisiacs or medicinal.

Seems like a 2-3% mortality rate? Is that high? Seems other common ailments like the flu kill a large number among people that are already old and/or sick.
It's following this prediction graph pretty closely. So if it keeps up it will kill 1,200,000 by February 21st. The true numbers are skewed in the first place. They are a lot higher coming from a communist government like China. They're boarding up entrances to high rise apartment buildings and locking citizens in.

52A88844-526A-4A93-B0EE-323B6279E76C.jpeg

Why do these plagues always seem to develop in China? And how the hell can they trace it back so quickly to dead animal sold in an open market. Very peculiar
Tons of people stacked on top of each other. China has ten cities the size of new York or larger, Shanghai is almost triple the population, iirc. Combine that with questionable to poor resources, and you have a recipe for disaster.

Tons of people stacked on top of each other. China has ten cities the size of new York or larger, Shanghai is almost triple the population, iirc. Combine that with questionable to poor resources, and you have a recipe for disaster.
Not to mention eating raw animals as food. Especially animals that are prone to diseases like bats, mice, or rats.

Excellent points, however that would seem to create additional issues trying to pinpoint where the outbreak originated. If I recall within a day or two of the news breaking the Chinese officials announced the " exact" location and cause of the outbreak. I suspect this has been going on much longer and China being China just sat on it. I suppose they're not overly concerned with loosing a few 1000 folks.

As I said in the other thread, I think it's concerning. The Chinese know more about it than anyone and they are quarantining 60 million people, shutting down schools, and their medical professionals are going around in full hazmat suits.
Quarantined 60 million people which accounts for about 10 sq. miles.

Excellent points, however that would seem to create additional issues trying to pinpoint where the outbreak originated. If I recall within a day or two of the news breaking the Chinese officials announced the " exact" location and cause of the outbreak. I suspect this has been going on much longer and China being China just sat on it. I suppose they're not overly concerned with loosing a few 1000 folks.
I would agree with all of this, and probably add a zero (or two or three) to that estimate.

It’s transmission rate or R0 factor is around 2.1 to 3.0 which is similar to SARS and slightly higher than the flu which is 1.9. Quarantine and public health is the best shot. the case fatality ratio is higher now around 3%. SARS was 10. The flu this season is 2 last I looked. But, domestically, the flu is way more dangerous than Corona at this point. Point being, was your hands. Use alcohol based hand cleansers as often as possible, if you have the flu, stay home

VN Store

Back