'21 TN OLB Junior Colson (Michigan commit)

First name is Emmanuel but it looks like he goes by Junior.
Plays OLB and WR at his school.
Recruitment just now picking up... Tennessee, Kentucky, Texas A&M, and Louisville all offered in the last two weeks.
247 has him as a 4 Star 90. No rivals ranking yet.

Reactions: T Dog
NPA kid who has a crazy level of athleticism. We love him as an athletic defensive player. Has a nice body and can add weight. College position will be tbd.

I saw this kid at NPA about a month ago. I thought he was a college kid on Spring Break coming to workout at NPA to keep in shape. He's big, fast and instinctive I can see him playing LB, he moved better than any DB on the field.

Ravenwood as several intriguing underclassmen including 2021 linebacker Junior Colson. The 6-2, 215-pound sophomore just switched from receiver to outside linebacker last season, recording 34 tackles and 7 TFLs despite missing 3-4 games with an injury. Colson has the frame to easily add 30 pounds. Tennessee offered earlier this week, as did South Carolina, UK, Texas A&M, Louisville and Arkansas.

-VQ

“I knew that I was athletic, but I wasn’t expecting all of this going into my junior year,” Colson offered.

That notion changed on Friday after Cole showed out at Tennessee’s one-day camp garnering the attention of everyone in orange in particular head coach Jeremy Pruitt.

“It was pretty good. They offered me today. Coach Pruitt talked to me quite a bit. Other coaches were circled around watching me. It was surreal. I wasn’t expecting that much attention,” Colson said.

That attention during the workout turned into a campus tour, and a long visit with Pruitt where the Vols head coach made sure Colson knew how important he was.

“Coach Pruitt said he is trying to change the program. He said he’s waiting to land more instead kids so it is amazing. He said wanted me to be the first to commit in the class. He said they were prioritizing me.

“The camp really turned into a visit.”

As for what Colson did to get the Vols coaching staff’s attention, it started with his speed.

“Just how much athleticism that I have,” Colson said of what Pruitt and company loved. “I showed them I could play inside or outside. They loved that I can run. I could keep up with the receivers and the tailbacks.”

Colson knows a good bit about Tennessee. He knows a couple of guys that wear the orange and white and plans to return to Rocky Top later this summer.

“I know quite a bit about them. I believe I’m going to come back up there soon and spent the day just being around the program,” Colson said. “I know Alontae Taylor. I have worked out with him a couple of times.

For now, Colson’s focus remains on the camp circuit where he hope he continues to leave big impressions.

“I’m going to Alabama, Clemson, South Carolina, Kentucky and Michigan,” Colson said. “I think Clemson is close to offering. They want me to camp. I’m heading to Alabama tomorrow to camp.
-Hubbs

Last edited:
When the calendar turned to 2019, Class of 2021 linebacker Junior Colson was just hoping to get his first FBS scholarship offer. Now, with the year half over, Colson has more than 20 offers, a four-star ranking and is fresh off an impressive performance at the Five-Star Challenge presented by adidas. While Colson was in Atlanta for the event, Rivals.com caught up with him to talk recruiting, including his most recent visits to Michigan, Tennessee and South Carolina. "Right now I'm just taking my visits and getting to know coaches and stuff like that."
Michigan: "Michigan was a nice offer to get because I went up there to camp and the coaches didn't know who I was or anything like that. So I just showed up to the camp and did my thing and they liked me enough to offer me. My mom went to Michigan and she has been wanting me to get up there so we just went to the camp to see what would happen. I didn't really get to tour campus and see the facilities and stuff like that while I was there but I have been talking to the coaches and I'm going to go back in the fall for a game for sure. They had a linebacker drafted in the first round this year and their defense is always really good."
Tennessee: "I went up there earlier this month and I had a great time. I got a chance to talk with Coach Pruitt about how they might use me if I were there and they have a real idea about how I could move around and be a playmaker on their defense. They are really trying to build something there and their defense had some pretty good games last year and I only think they will be better this season. It makes me feel good to know that they have a plan for how they would use me and to know that Coach Pruitt is a defensive-minded guy. I know I'll be up there for a game in the fall and I will keep working on building my relationship with the coaches."
South Carolina: "I was just up there for a 7-on-7 tournament with a bunch of the guys I train with. We didn't win the tournament but I thought we did pretty well. South Carolina has been keeping in contact with me a lot and I really liked the campus up there. They have a lot of new facilities and I got to see campus and I just liked the whole vibe of the town. They keep coming to Tennessee and a lot of guys I know are there so they're telling me they want to keep that connection going. They are recruiting my new teammate Reggie Grimes and telling me that the two of us could play together on their defense. I want to make it back there for a game so I can see what it's like with everyone on campus."
It's pretty rare for a player with Colson's offer list to just roll up to a college camp without talking to the coaches, but it shows just how talented he is that he stood out enough in the crowd at Michigan to earn an offer. His family's ties to the states could be something to watch, and the Wolverines have done a nice job recruiting the Nashville area over the past few years. As far as SEC schools Tennessee and South Carolina, the two programs continue to go head-to-head for Volunteer State prospects, and Colson could be the next big battle between the SEC East foes.
-Rivals

My feeling is that he's wont end up at UT. He's not a TN kid (wasn't born and raised here) and told me that he is really looking forward to the UGA and Ala offer after he camped there this summer and coming away empty-handed.

Colson and Curry imo.
No bigtime prospects out of Memphis this cycle. I'm betting that will change.
Pennington is the only one I’ve heard us pursue out west. Unfortunately 2021 is mostly midstate, it will be a fight for them. West TN will be better in 2022.

Colson and Curry imo.
No bigtime prospects out of Memphis this cycle. I'm betting that will change.
Curry is good but doesn’t seem like a game changer. Doesn’t consistently make people miss in open field. Turrentine looks like a 1 or 2 round pick after some coaching from Pruitt

Wonder if we can get this guy in early?

Probably not but he is a must hv and will be top 50 in America. This kid does drills with the Dbs and looks like he belongs. He will definitely be top 5 OLB in America. He can pass rush and drop without losing a beat, but the most important part of Jr is the kid is a very violent but cerebral player on the field but as cool and smart off the field. Even after missing a workout due to a visit or something of that nature the kid wants a make up work out.

VN Store

Back