'21 NC DE Isaac Washington

The 6-foot-3, 266-pound Washington received a scholarship offer from Tennessee on July 30 during his first visit there, and he returned Oct. 26 to attend the Vols' home game against South Carolina.

He picked up his first offer in May from Auburn, the school he grew up liking, and he said his father is originally from Alabama. After visiting the Tigers in July, he said they “most definitely” were “up there” on his list of early contenders.

But he said after his trip to Tennessee in July that he also was high on the Vols, in part because of Pruitt's staff. Defensive line coach Tracy Rocker and defensive coordinator Derrick Ansley, along with Pruitt, were among the coaches who spent time with Washington during that visit.

“I liked Coach Rocker,” Washington said at the time. “Coach Rocker, he’s a cool coach. I like how he talks and how he presents himself. He’s not real big on the weightlifting and stuff like that. He likes flexibility and if you can move and stuff like that.
“He said (he liked) how powerful I was and how I move and how quick I was with my hands and just stuff like that. He said he’ll probably use me outside, like a D-end or outside linebacker — something like that.”
Washington said after his trip to Knoxville in July that he was impressed with his first look at Tennessee.

“I went in expecting it to be real nice, and when I got there, I wasn’t surprised,” he said at the time. “I like that they’re an SEC school. The SEC, that’s probably the best conference in all of college football. I guess I could say (I liked) how happy and smiley everybody was.”
-247sports

For those of you who don't understand why people root for other SEC teams in bowl games and the playoffs, that last paragraph is the exact reason. Recruits care about playing in the best conference in the nation, and the SEC keeps that spot by beating teams outside the conference.
Yeah that’s been real helpful to us the last 20 years.

Yeah that’s been real helpful to us the last 20 years.

You think we've stumbled on multiple highly ranked recruiting classes over the terms of 3 very different coaches just cause high school kids like the color orange? You think even when we rank top 10 in recruiting we're 5th or 6th in the conference by chance? Get your head out of your butt.

He’s more of a DE but is versatile. Plays TE as well in high school. Huge pick up. Kids very talented and a 4 star. We could have a great year in NC, it’s loaded with a lot of depth and most of the talent is from the middle piedmont to the west
Can’t wait to see him play this fall

He’s more of a DE but is versatile. Plays TE as well in high school. Huge pick up. Kids very talented and a 4 star. We could have a great year in NC, it’s loaded with a lot of depth and most of the talent is from the middle piedmont to the west

You think we've stumbled on multiple highly ranked recruiting classes over the terms of 3 very different coaches just cause high school kids like the color orange? You think even when we rank top 10 in recruiting we're 5th or 6th in the conference by chance? Get your head out of your butt.

Right, we never recruited well in the 90’s before the SEC was the SEC! SEC! SEC!

I’m really hoping that Bama and UGA can keep making the CFP, that makes us look so important. With any luck, Florida will get in next year too.

Reactions: JacketVol
Oh Jonas Ridge. Lord we have Avery County, Burke County and Mount Pilot all represented on here:)

Mount Airy, too.

I've seen Isaac multiple times, which is sort of easy for me because I'm the sports editor of the local paper here. His high school team was loaded. As others have mentioned, they had a number of D1 prospects on the offense, who all went to UNC or NC State. East Surry went 15-0 and won the 1AA state championship this year (and beat the now two-time 2A state champion during the regular season). These guys--Washington, Jefferson Boaz, and Stephen Gosnell--could play for anybody. And two of their other receivers are PWO's at those schools and I wouldn't be surprised if they make it as well.

Anyway, the guy is a beast. He was already outstanding as a sophomore and turned it up a notch this season. Probably projects as an edge rusher in college and that's sort of what he indicated when he was interviewed after his commitment. There's plenty of video of him online; East Surry is very good about filming its players and promoting them.

I'm lucky enough to run into D1 prospects every once in a while at the places I work. I had Johnny Frasier at Princeton a few years ago, and Donavon Greene of Mount Airy (now at Wake) after I came here. Johnny didn't do much in college, but Donavon's already been on an ESPN highlight as a freshman.

UT has recruited well for 50+ years due to the great facilities, great campus, and the best fan base in the country. It hasn't mattered if the SEC was up or down at the time. A strong SEC has helped teams like KY, USCJr, AtM, etc over the last few years much more than it has helped UT. UT will recruit well no matter the conference status as long as the fan base stays as strong as it is now.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back