The most grant Williams technical foul imaginable.

Boldface or not they do not play defense now in the NBA. Almost everyone agrees with that since you see the same thing posted over and over again.
No defense in the NBA? Do you even watch it? Jaren jackson jr, Anthony Davis, kawhi Leonard, Paul George, Lebron James, Patrick Beverly, all play hard defense almost every night. Theres a lot more too.

The people saying it also say "i don't watch the NBA".
I check it out a couple of timesavers year. Only takes a few short minutes to see they still don’t play defense. They also do not call traveling anymore. If Jordan or Bird were allowed that extra step against today’s defenses they would have averaged 50 points a game.

I check it out a couple of timesavers year. Only takes a few short minutes to see they still don’t play defense. They also do not call traveling anymore. If Jordan or Bird were allowed that extra step against today’s defenses they would have averaged 50 points a game.
Lol, ok.

Lmao teams were dropping 120/130 with ease in playoff games in the 80’s without the three point line being used. It was a joke.

An old white guy’s favorite past time. Talking about not watching the NBA yet all of a sudden they know that nobody in the NBA plays defense, even though they clearly wanted to tell us how much they don’t watch it. How weird!

I for one have quite enjoyed the NBA this year with Vols now everywhere.

That's @ all I'm interested in @ it. Was in Detroit last weekend and wanted to go see Pistons game, but they came to ATL where I left. Haven't looked, but is Jordan still on the NBA roster?

That's @ all I'm interested in @ it. Was in Detroit last weekend and wanted to go see Pistons game, but they came to ATL where I left. Haven't looked, but is Jordan still on the NBA roster?

He is in on a 2 way so they call him up every now and then. I think he has played in like 3 or 4 games this yesr

Reactions: livefaith
Don't argue with the experts that don't watch it!

They are comparing it to the Detroit Pistons Bad Boy era when hand checking was still legal and teams had enforcers.

That’s what us old guys remember and those days are gone. Golden State never wins one title pre 2000. It’s just a fact. I love Stephen Curry but Bruce Bowen and guys like him would shut him down completely.

Even if you only go back 10 years, teams weren't jacking up contested 25 foot jump shots with 15 seconds left on the shot clock. The raggedness I'm talking about really began with the Golden State Warriors success in 2015. Since then, a lot of NBA games look like 48 minutes of garbage time. There isn't much movement away from the ball or post up play. It's either a clear out for a dribble drive through the lane with either a finish or a kickout... or just a straight up heave. I can't stand watching James Harden and Houston play. If I sound old... fine. I just don't see anything entertaining about watching 50 missed jump shots a game.
Are you serious? GS moves off the ball like a well oiled machine. Sounds like you don’t watch much NBA and just spit out cliches. Many teams like the Lakers also run offensive sets that include lots of post play from Anthony Davis and Javale McGee. The game has certainly shifted to more outside and pick and roll play, but unless you’re only watching the rockets, you should be seeing plenty of off ball movement with post play mixed in.

They were both having fun and smiling. That’s part of gamesmanship. These refs need to get a grip. Never thought I’d see someone get t’d up for giving a thumbs up.

Reactions: berryvol
Lmao teams were dropping 120/130 with ease in playoff games in the 80’s without the three point line being used. It was a joke.

An old white guy’s favorite past time. Talking about not watching the NBA yet all of a sudden they know that nobody in the NBA plays defense, even though they clearly wanted to tell us how much they don’t watch it. How weird!

Strange maybe, but I find parallels between these know-it-alls and dirty dumps. Always screaming about things that aren't worth their time and they don't watch, yet seem to have all these great opinions that everyone else should heed. How soon before you anti-NBA guys start ranting about flushing your toliet 20 times per visit? That would be more entertaining to listen to.

It is. The 3 ball has finally brought @ the demise of that beautiful game. I remember the old fogies in the early 80s saying that it would. I thought they were morons. It took a generation, but it's happening. Go to Youtube and watch anything competitive from the 80s and it will look foreign. Mid range game was so beautiful before the 3 ball took over.

And in relation to that old-guy rant. I'm shocked that GWs game has translated as far as it has. Thankfully he's a fundamentally good shooter who can become an arc planter with more reps. But, his game would have translated so much better in the 70s-90s.

The Magic/Byrd era was the Golden Age

Cracks me up when people say that they don't watch the NBA, but then say they don't play defense lol.

1. High scores... the games are 8 minutes longer than the college game and the shot clock is shorter. This makes for way more possessions than the college game so the scores are going to be way higher because of this.

2. These are the best players in the entire world. Not only can pretty much every NBA player shoot the ball extremely well, they're extremely athletic. So they make a lot of shots even if they're contested and can get to the rim at such ease, even if the defender is defending well.

It is. The 3 ball has finally brought @ the demise of that beautiful game. I remember the old fogies in the early 80s saying that it would. I thought they were morons. It took a generation, but it's happening. Go to Youtube and watch anything competitive from the 80s and it will look foreign. Mid range game was so beautiful before the 3 ball took over.

And in relation to that old-guy rant. I'm shocked that GWs game has translated as far as it has. Thankfully he's a fundamentally good shooter who can become an arc planter with more reps. But, his game would have translated so much better in the 70s-90s.
I blame AAU, analytics, and indirectly, Steph Curry. On the AAU level, fundamentals and team basketball take a backseat to athleticism and selflessness. Analytics say shots need to be as close to the rim as possible for the highest percentage shot , or behind the arc. And Steph taking, and making, 40ft jumpers has everyone believing they can too. You'll increasingly see teams look overseas for talent, or potential NBA talent go over there in lieu of being a one and done. The coaching is better, and the game is better.

Last edited:
Reactions: livefaith
It’s one thing to be nostalgic about the days when some of y’all watched the NBA, but if anyone thinks guarding guys like Steph Curry, Kevin Durant, Lebron James would be easy than y’all are crazy. The Warriors of the last few years would be winning championships in any era.

The same people that rant about how "soft/bad/political/insert bad thing" the NFL has become and that they "don't watch it anymore". Also love they have to point out how much they don't watch it about every other post they make in the forum dedicated to said thing they don't watch.

I haven't watched an NBA game since the mid-90's. They don't call walking, even when the player takes 4 steps, because they want to showcase his "athleticism." Guys like Lebron think they can lecture us on anything that pops up in their minds. The refs can be bought. Defense is a joke. Players order the coaches around and have them fired (or assault them) if they actually try to coach. And they declare guys like Harden to be HOF players when they score 40 points taking 40 shots, all of them 3's. I hope Grant, Josh, Admiral and the other UT players make a lot of money, but I won't be watching.

VN Store

Back