Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Undefeated (preciously) UCLA goes down to Cal 68-70. This is a a case of an unranked team in conference (8-8 record) knocking off the #7 team in the country!

For those who are interested #19 Missouri State also goes down to S. Illinois with a score of 68-70. S. Illinois record was 9-6 coming into the game.

Both of these games could be considered “cupcake games” in the conference but turned out to be good ones.

@Raebo here is some of the parity in women’s basketball that you were so desperately searching for.

@MSUDuo anything from the Mizzu St crowd or fan boards as to what happened in this game?

To be fair, while these upsets are encouraging, there are probably still at least ten ugly blowouts for every one of these "parity" games. It's been a really slllooooww process.

There is nothing “to be fair” about when there was a pointed comment made about “women’s basketball” and what was wrong with it 😉 What are teams supposed to do give the other teams some of their points? Lol... but now we are seeing more teams in the rankings that weren’t there and we are continuing to see more upsets so nothing is STILL wrong with women’s basketball you are actually starting to see more parity in the game. Shoot if you look on the men’s side you see upsets too go and look at Duke play one of the smaller NC schools but you can also look at some of the upsets like Kentucky vs Evansville.

Per Raebo

I am sure I will get flamed for this but this game is an example of what is still wrong with women’s basketball—still to many blow out games. I like watching competitive games and I especially like watching the Lady Vols winning a competitive game.

This is not me saying that their still isnt a gap in teams with the men’s and women’s game but too say “still wrong with”‘probably wasn’t the best wording is all. Especially this year when parity has been more on display than ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: stlvolsfan
Thanks. I know she said as much, although it didn't register that she was saying that she was used to hearing heated comments and insults (in general, not necessarily toward daughter) from immature kids and crazy fans. Makes sense to any of us who have been in the stands. As a coach, I had to calm down overzealous parents more than once.

I think the coach thought her professional status would lend more credibility to her gripes (note that she cited her role as a coach) ...I.e., that the site would take her more seriously than some random fan (or envious or jealous parent).

I can remember several opposing players who were showboats, hot dogs, arrogant, taunting, whiny etc. There was one in particular whom my kids nicknamed "B.A." ("Bad Attitude").

Still, I only remember once when I talked to the opposing coach because his player seemed to be deliberately taunting my players late in a blowout game ( with his encouragement). My beef was with him more than the kid.

I still remember Pat furiously getting Shannon Bobbit over to the sideline and yelling "We don't do that!!!!"

Coaches ought to air their gripes with other coaches, IMO.
I agree 100%. Great post!

UCLA was without one of its top players, Onyenwere, who is third in the Pac-12 in scoring with 18.9 points per game. She sprained her ankle during practice earlier in the week.

Missouri State lost because they really aren't that great a team. I doubt that they win their conference or wind up in the Top 25.
Their ranking was based on their NCAA Tourney performance last year and their win at pre-season ranked Minnesota in the first game of the year (I doubt that Minnesota will be in the Top 25 by the end of the year). They lost to Gonzaga, and Oregon State, barely beat Boise State, Missouri and Drake. Their vaunted RPI will start dropping like a stone, they don't play another Top 50 team the rest of the season.

I root for all the Missouri teams, but I call it like I see it. MoSt went 1 for 11 on three pointers. That usually won't get you a win against even a mediocre team.

Reactions: VolBall09
Notre Dame continues the downward spiral. From now until the end of time, every time my memory goes back to Tennessee's 2018-19 season with all its horrible losses and negative record-setting disappointments, all I'll have to do to snap out of it is think, "Well, it could have been worse. At least Tennessee didn't come within two points of winning the national championship one year then turn around the next year and not even come close to making the tournament.

Tennessee fans: "We feel so awful that our program fell so far so quickly."
Notre Dame fans: "Hold my beer."

Seriously, I feel really bad for ND and hope they get back on track next season.

www.ndinsider.com/basketball/womens/notre-dame-throws-one-away-at-duke/article_de5cb282-7440-5470-b5b0-95f8f386bcf5.html
You do know Notre Dame didn't come within 2 points of National Championship, the won the championship, over Miss St, by 2, who is doing just fine this year.

You do know Notre Dame didn't come within 2 points of National Championship, the won the championship, over Miss St, by 2, who is doing just fine this year.
?
Didn't ND lose by 1 point to Baylor in the finals of the 2018-2019 (Last year, we're in the 2019-2020 season now) NCAAT ?
Two more points and ND wins the championship in 2018-2019, as lvocd stated.
ND did win the 2017-2018 NCAAT, with a 3 point win over Mississippi State, but that wasn't the year mentioned by lvocd.

Last edited:
As volnationnj has already pointed out — thanks, by the way — you seem to have forgotten the last Final Four and are thinking of the one-before-last.

Yes, Notre Dame won the natty year before last, then fell by one point in the final last year. That was the whole point of my post: They’ve gone from the pinnacle of success to severe struggles very, very quickly. Far more quickly than the gradual slide that Tennessee went on.

I hear that all the time but when you look into the team they say plays 8-9 players actually play only 6-7 in close games.

I'm sure Rooster is talking about South Carolina, one of the few teams that does go 8-9. But I bet it's less when they play UConn.

And UConn is actually going 7 deep these days.
UConn is below their standard of excellence this season IMO.

Their “core 4” are inconsistent. Neither Williams nor Walker show up night in night out. Dangerfield seems consistsnt except she is hung over from surgery. ONO seems back to being meek They don’t start Irwin as a Senior because she is that much improved. She has gone from 4 of 4 on treys to being afraid to pull the trigger. She starts because she is the best of the remainder. The second coming of Gabby Williams see’s little playing time. Now that your guys are into conference play will Geno use these games to develop her for post season? Her defense is clearly better than Irwins. The “great” shooter from Poland doesn’t seem to be that great

Lastly I watch a fair amount of UConn on ESPN 3 and this years individual personalities don’t seem to translate to good Team chemistry. There seems to be a lack of happiness. Are Williams or Walker transfer candidates?

After that 4th quarter meltdown against Baylor this team looks beatable by many. Granted Geno put them through a grueling few days but he does that every season as prep for post season NCAAT

Last edited:
Not saying we are one of them, but UCONN is very beatable by at least 10 teams. Geno is really slipping as a coach. They were terrible in 4th quarter, looks like they are out of shape. All that talent and not even able to hardly score in 4th quarter. I think his mind is going. Much as he said Pat's was years before it was. I guess what comes around goes around. I have seen Baylor play 4 games this yr and they are not a great team. Humiliating defeat, he should worry about health and step down lol.

We are one of them

Reactions: Chitownvol1129
UConn is below their standard of excellence this season IMO
. Their “core 4” are inconsistent. Neither Williams nor Walker show up night in night out. Dangerfield seems consistsnt except she is hung over from surgery. ONO seems back to being meek They don’t start Irwin as a Senior because she is that much improved. She has gone from 4 of 4 on treys to being afraid to pull the trigger. She starts because she is the best of the remainder. The second coming of Gabby Williams see’s little playing time. Now that your guys are into conference play will Geno use these games to develop her for post season? Her defense is clearly better than Irwins

Lastly I watch a lot of UConn on ESPN 3 and this years individual personalities don’t seem to translate to good Team chemistry. Assists seem down
Good report. Thanks for providing it. I'm just hoping for a close, competitive game. Speaking of that:
There is nothing “to be fair” about when there was a pointed comment made about “women’s basketball” and what was wrong with it 😉 What are teams supposed to do give the other teams some of their points?
When I said "to be fair" I meant to the poster who was getting everyone's favorite one or two upsets in answer to his original point about blowouts. There undeniably are too many and they are generally not as enjoyable. "What's wrong with it" may be stronger verbage than deserved, but I would agree at least the reputation for alot of blowouts keeps some potential fans away from the game. Parity has progressed but its been really slow IMO.

Reactions: Raebo
I am not sure that the Pac 12 teams aren't overrated. They always seem to fall short and the games they win big are mid majors or weak conference teams. I guess we'll find out at seasons end during the tournament. UCONN is UCONN...so that won't be an easy game for anyone.

UConn is UConn except for this year. Geno still has a lot of time to make his magic happen but neither a win against the Lady Vols on 1/23 or a FF appearance are a lock this season

Tennessee is one of the premier programs in the country...good luck with the "under the radar" thing. Most programs still measure their programs playing Tennessee. It's not like you are going to sneak up on anyone. Tennessee will always get everyone's best shot.....because they are Tennessee !

I admire your enthusiasm but where were you during Holly’s last 3 to 4 years amidst that not giving any best shot against the most dismal of opponents ?

When I said "to be fair" I meant to the poster who was getting everyone's favorite one or two upsets in answer to his original point about blowouts. There undeniably are too many and they are generally not as enjoyable. "What's wrong with it" may be stronger verbage than deserved, but I would agree at least the reputation for alot of blowouts keeps some potential fans away from the game. Parity has progressed but its been really slow IMO.

Yea but I guess I look at a couple things. Blowouts are a part of sports in general that’s what makes the upset such an intriguing thing.

Fans still show up at Alabama, LSU, and heck even Neyland Stadium in droves knowing that the team is playing an inferior opponent during football. Inferior teams coming into Duke and Kansas during the nonconference season and people still camp out for tickets to those games.

I am not arguing nor am I naive that parity in the women’s game has been slower than the men’s. However I am also not naive enough to think that the sports had equal footing as far as exposure, money dumped into it, etc to have the sport grow as fast. Now we are seeing women going to many teams across the country not just a certain few. The level of coaching and teaching is getting better because there are more opportunities to do so.

Yes, the posters verbiage was strong and the fact they said I know I will probably get flamed sort of made it seem like they were knowingly saying something offensive and just was like screw it I am going to say it anyways.

Anyways I enjoy everybody’s point of view and that’s the great thing about this board is that you can have a discussion😃

Reactions: LVsinceJV
Very tough defensive quarter for LSU against Kentucky. Leading 16-9 after 1. Kentucky not getting anything easy and LSU is controlling the boards. Cherry is a really nice player coming in off the bench for LSU.

Reactions: Will83
LSU came to play some defense today. Absolutely stifling Kentucky. Their switches are so crisp. Up 28-16 at the half, season low in a half for Kentucky.

LSUs posts are getting undercut quite a bit when they are going up for the rebound or pass into the post... not one call has been made on the Kentucky defender for that yet...

Even with that it’s a 12 point lead for Kentucky with 5 to go in the third.

In looking at Kentucky they are truly reliant on Howard and moving forward they may find it hard to win games if she isn’t scoring 30+ points a night.

I think Patterson can help KY win some games but their lack of posts will catch up moving forward.

Reactions: VolBall09
Oh my, I only just now turned on the TV and saw that this LSU-UK game is on. I sure hope LSU can hold on to get this much-needed win. Nikki’s teams seem always to be occasionally capable of beating a team they weren’t expected to. And if they weren’t so awful at shooting free throws they would have at least three more wins this season.

A&M is tied 8 - 8 vs Florida after 1 Qt. Just shows you how losing a player that takes and makes so many shots hurts you.

Reactions: lvocd

VN Store

Back