D’Eriq King enters Transfer Portal. Is he a possible grab for the Vols?

I hope not Arkansas or Oklahoma so we don't have to deal with him. LSU would make a ton of sense.

You're looking at it from the wrong mindset though. You seem to think that King wants to go somewhere and win or compete for a national title. If that was the case he wouldn't have picked Houston or he would have left sooner. What he most likely wants for his last year in college is to be the starting QB with an offense that will give him the chance to rack up stats. Arkansas could be a 4 or 5 win team, but if Briles is the OC King will have outstanding numbers behind a Sam Pittman built OL.

King could go anywhere you mentioned, I just think Arkansas having Briles AND still being close to Texas (family) helps them.
So it is your opinion (not a known fact) that he wants to play in an offense where he can rack up stats? The LSU, OU, and Bama offenses don’t fit that narrative, how? Burrow just threw for 60 TDs this year. Hurts, who King profiles more similarly to than Burrow, just put up 5000 yds from scrimmage and 53 total TDs.

You seem certain that I’m listing schools because of their national championship likelihood, when in fact, half of the schools I mentioned don’t even realistically offer him that opportunity. FSU, Miami, Michigan...none of those offer that opportunity next year, most likely, but they offer him a bigger stage with more surrounding talent than either Houston or Arkansas.

He could go to a place like LSU or OU, if there is mutual interest, which I doubt there is on the OU side, and get the best of both worlds,?and still be close to Texas.

Again, he may go to Arkansas. I’m not saying that won’t happen or isn’t likely to happen. I just think it is a risky business decision no matter what his motivation may be. Hitching you’re wagon to an unproven coach in rebuild mode is not a great idea. No guarantee of stats, no guarantee of wins, and no guarantee of being drafted any higher than you would have been at Houston.

Reactions: Carp
You do realize this guy isn’t a good fit with Chaney don’t you?
Compare his passing numbers to JG

In 2018, King had a 64% completion rate for 3000 yards and 36 td passes.

Oh, and then he also ran for as many tds as JG had passing all year.

He’s a duel thread running QB. Those guys aren’t what Chaney does. That’s the point

And oh you forgot to give his stats this year where he wasn’t very good.

Last edited:
So it is your opinion (not a known fact) that he wants to play in an offense where he can rack up stats? The LSU, OU, and Bama offenses don’t fit that narrative, how? Burrow just threw for 60 TDs this year. Hurts, who King profiles more similarly to than Burrow, just put up 5000 yds from scrimmage and 53 total TDs.

You seem certain that I’m listing schools because of their national championship likelihood, when in fact, half of the schools I mentioned don’t even realistically offer him that opportunity. FSU, Miami, Michigan...none of those offer that opportunity next year, most likely, but they offer him a bigger stage with more surrounding talent than either Houston or Arkansas.

He could go to a place like LSU or OU, if there is mutual interest, which I doubt there is on the OU side, and get the best of both worlds,?and still be close to Texas.

Again, he may go to Arkansas. I’m not saying that won’t happen or isn’t likely to happen. I just think it is a risky business decision no matter what his motivation may be. Hitching you’re wagon to an unproven coach in rebuild mode is not a great idea. No guarantee of stats, no guarantee of wins, and no guarantee of being drafted any higher than you would have been at Houston.

What exactly is it I'm saying that has you so worked up exactly?

Absolutely LSU, OU & Bama are great options. As are Michigan and FSU....Miami (not so much, but they are in the market having missed out on Newman).

The thing is Arkansas has no competition for him, OU, Bama & LSU all have 4 & 5 star QBs on roster or incoming. King is solid, but I don't think he's starting at Bama or OU next season if he goes there. Who knows with LSU, Max Johnson incoming is a highly rated QB. Peter Parrish from last year is a solid prospect and Myles Brennan has been there awhile and was highly rated as well.

Joe Milton could be the guy at Michigan and who knows what Norvell will want at FSU, his QBs at Memphis weren't Dual Threat guys though...

He's a player, but can't see how we could possibly have and manage 6-7 kids in the QB room. Hill and Holiday already in there with that skill set pretty much makes certain King isn't in play here.
Obvious we will have transfers. Shrout or Maurer or both may transfer this spring.

JG has 32 td’s in 3 years. No contest between the two. King easily wins a depth chart contest between him and JG.

Don't think King will be recruited. My thought is that Bailey will win the job in the Spring. If JG is content to be an occasional relief guy he will stay, maybe more in a mentoring role. If not, Hill will probably be that guy with JT /Holliday at 3 and 4. I think Maurer for sure transfers and possibly JG.

He’s a duel thread running QB. Those guys aren’t what Chaney does. That’s the point

And oh you forgot to give his stats this year where he wasn’t very good.
He redshirted this year.

I still havent figured out what system JG fits anyways. He is a supposed dual threat whom can not run or pass.

Anyone who doesn't want this guy is absolutely crazy. He's basically a shorter version of Dobbs and was a dark horse Heisman candidate coming into the season. Obviously Bailey is unknown, but even if he is as identical of a passer as JG or Maurer (King is still better), at least King has great mobility.

While Chaney runs more pro-style, it's pretty evident they're opening minded about mobile QBs - i.e. Chaney was the lead recruiter on Haynes King (dual threat), the signing of Holiday, and Pruitt mentioned how the game is changing at QB when signing Holiday.

That being said, I think its very unlikely he comes here.

Don't think it'll be Oklahoma since Riley would be overstepping Rattler, so you'd risk losing him. Additionally, that'd be four straight transferred starting QBs for them, including two grad transfers, I don't think that'd sell too well to QB recruits going forward.

LSU seems to be high on Brennan, but who knows.

Arkansas makes most sense from a relationship and proximity standpoint, but a terrible situation to walk into.

If I had to guess, I'd say Oregon, Florida State, maybe Arkansas are most likely.

He redshirted this year.

I still havent figured out what system JG fits anyways. He is a supposed dual threat whom can not run or pass.

He played 4 games. Not very well mind you

This guy isn’t a fit for us. Play JG or Bailey and forget about this guy as he’s a bad fit

He played 4 games. Not very well mind you

This guy isn’t a fit for us. Play JG or Bailey and forget about this guy as he’s a bad fit
He was mentioned as a Heisman candidate and accounted for 50 tds in 2018, 36 of which were passing.

How anyone can seriously say they would take JG over that is a lunatic.

What exactly is it I'm saying that has you so worked up exactly?

Absolutely LSU, OU & Bama are great options. As are Michigan and FSU....Miami (not so much, but they are in the market having missed out on Newman).

The thing is Arkansas has no competition for him, OU, Bama & LSU all have 4 & 5 star QBs on roster or incoming. King is solid, but I don't think he's starting at Bama or OU next season if he goes there. Who knows with LSU, Max Johnson incoming is a highly rated QB. Peter Parrish from last year is a solid prospect and Myles Brennan has been there awhile and was highly rated as well.

Joe Milton could be the guy at Michigan and who knows what Norvell will want at FSU, his QBs at Memphis weren't Dual Threat guys though...
Not really worked up. You just seem to have an inaccurate perception on how I am looking at the situation, and those opinions are based in nothing I actually said.

That aside, you seem to be moving the goalposts a bit. You originally responded to my post to clarify that none of the schools I mentioned recruited him out of HS, then you moved to his theoretical desire for stats over wins, and now it seems to be about whether he is actually good enough to win the job at any of these higher profile programs. These are all qualifications that are funneling him towards your opinion that it’s Arkansas, and I don’t disagree that may be where he goes. I just don’t see that as a good decision for him if it’s what he chooses, AND places like LSU and Oklahoma were legit options. If Arkansas is his best option, then more power to him. I’m just saying that of the schools I listed, Arkansas would be toward the bottom if I were him.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Talent, personality or both?

He’s a dual threat running an and a dang good one. But that’s just not what Chaney dies

Think Drew Locke vs kelly bryant. Bryant wasn’t a good fit for mizzu and The same would be for King and us

King and bryant are very similar imo

VN Store

Back