QB Jamie Newman Transfers to Georgia

I’m more worried about QB play and OC than line play. UGA’s line looked fine against Baylor in the Sugar Bowl. While UGA is replacing starters Cleveland, Salyer, and Hill all have experience. Webb is a 5* who may see playing time along with Truss and a few other 4*’s. The WR/TE positions will also be more talented than last year, though inexperienced. Pickens and Blaylock will be a year older and UGA recruited well at WR and TE this year. LSU’s WR’s weren’t considered elite until this year when they had an OC who was able to design plays to get them the ball. UGA has an open coaching position, which I assume will be used to help Coley because it’s apparent he needs the help. Newman is more mobile than Fromm and has a better deep ball, but he’s not as good as Fromm was with pre snap reads and the intermediate passing game. Right now there’s just so many question marks I’m not comfortable predicting anything. Things could go well, but just as easily go bad. Also will be interesting to see if King goes to LSU or OU. He could be scary with LSU if Brady stays and if he goes to OU I could see Rattler transferring. Rattler redshirted last year so he could transfer anywhere and play immediately as a redshirt freshman with a year of learning under Riley.

I wouldn't read too much into that bowl game either. Bowl performances can be very misleading and it was very clear that the Big 12 was just not very good this year. Big 12 defensive lines are much different than having to block against UF, Aub, LSU, or Alabama.

You do know that OL usually takes the longest for the star players to actually become stars? I mean UT's line sucked for years and almost all of those that couldn't block for crap were led by 4 and 5 stars. I mean we went through 2 this year that were some of the highest ranked prospects in the country and their OL grades weren't all that good although they were doing better by the end of the year. And UGA OL wasn't all that good this year with their experienced and good guys on it, so I cannot imagine their backups were just studs that were sitting the bench. So yes their OL prob takes an even bigger step back which means their stud after stud of running backs don't have anyone to block for them and can't take pressure off their QB. As far as TE they are ok there, but they didn't use them all that much this year and that was even after having an experienced Wolf join them from UT who caught a whopping 12 or 13 catches for the season. Washington might come in and be a game changer there, but after watching his competition he was a man among boys in Vegas and I mean seriously the kids he was playing against in those videos looked like a bunch of middle school kids, so he might be a huge stud or he could be very overrated playing against joke competition, we shall see. I just hope that UGA keeps their OC and they continue to not be very good, I mean Fromm was a stud his first few years and took a big step back this year, I am not sure I don't see the same happening with Newman. As far as beating any of them, I still don't see this team with JG or even a true freshman QB beating OU, UGA, Bama or UF. I just hope we win the ones we are supposed to and end up like 9-4 after the bowl and have another year of growth for this team as they are still young.
PFF had UGA’s line ranked second in the ncaa. Least amount of sacks given and second in yards before contact for RB’s. Thomas will be a top 10 pick and Wilson/Kindley have second round grades, so I’d say UGA’s line did well this year. Not surprising that freshmen or sophomores can’t beat out 1st or 2nd round picks. Do I think they’ll be just as good as last year? Of course not, but they won’t be the weak link as evidenced by the Baylor game. As for Wolf, he may have been experienced, but he certainly wasn’t a game changer. He had more receptions in his one year at UGA than the rest of career combined. It isn’t a massive leap to say McKitty and Washington are more talented than Wolf. Then there’s Fromm. He was definitely better under Chaney, but he also had Nauta, Godwin, Hardman, Ridley, and Holloman with Chaney. IMO losing nfl receivers and tight ends had just as much to do with his decline as losing Chaney. Like I’ve said before, I have no clue what to expect from Newman. Right now I think the ppl saying he’s a savior and the ppl saying he won’t last the season are equally wrong. He was on the least talented ACC team and now will play with much more talent. On the flip side his competition was much weaker, besides Clemson, so it cuts both ways. If UGA doesn’t change their offense he’ll fail. That’s the one thing I know for sure.

I wouldn't read too much into that bowl game either. Bowl performances can be very misleading and it was very clear that the Big 12 was just not very good this year. Big 12 defensive lines are much different than having to block against UF, Aub, LSU, or Alabama.
I agree. Right now that’s only game we’ve got to look at, but I agree you Can’t determine much off of such a small sample size.

Don't get me wrong I would loved to have played in the Sugar Bowl and Baylor had a very good year.
lol no offense taken. It’s a valid point that it’s hard to determine much off of one game. Plus the big 12 really struggled in bowl season, so it’s possible Baylor was propped up by their schedule.

PFF had UGA’s line ranked second in the ncaa. Least amount of sacks given and second in yards before contact for RB’s. Thomas will be a top 10 pick and Wilson/Kindley have second round grades, so I’d say UGA’s line did well this year. Not surprising that freshmen or sophomores can’t beat out 1st or 2nd round picks. Do I think they’ll be just as good as last year? Of course not, but they won’t be the weak link as evidenced by the Baylor game. As for Wolf, he may have been experienced, but he certainly wasn’t a game changer. He had more receptions in his one year at UGA than the rest of career combined. It isn’t a massive leap to say McKitty and Washington are more talented than Wolf. Then there’s Fromm. He was definitely better under Chaney, but he also had Nauta, Godwin, Hardman, Ridley, and Holloman with Chaney. IMO losing nfl receivers and tight ends had just as much to do with his decline as losing Chaney. Like I’ve said before, I have no clue what to expect from Newman. Right now I think the ppl saying he’s a savior and the ppl saying he won’t last the season are equally wrong. He was on the least talented ACC team and now will play with much more talent. On the flip side his competition was much weaker, besides Clemson, so it cuts both ways. If UGA doesn’t change their offense he’ll fail. That’s the one thing I know for sure.

Well, maybe the eye test can be deceiving but we pushed around Bama's line pretty well this year but yet our line didnt grade out all that well, but I saw them push Bama all over, while UGA by the end of the year had taken a step back to the point they had no push at all. I mean yes I know LSU just won the NC, but dear lord UGA scored how many in that game again? Also we know that Baylor had a good year overall, but that Big 12 sucked balls as a while which was also shown in their bowl games and them all getting manhandled except for one game with Texas. So not sure they proved all that much against a highly overrated team but i guess we will agree to disagree on all that. As far as Fromm taking a step back, yes he lost a lot of firepower with WR and TE leaving, but again if your OL is good enough they can make an average back look into an all star as well as an average QB look like an all star. A Big bad OL helps out many an ills and I dont see UGA having a very good one next year, especially losing most of their OL and one of the most respected OL coaches in the country. Now I do think as you do that Newman is somewhere in between savior and a joke. He will probably be a serviceable QB who doesnt win or lose games for them and most likely with the D they have next season that might be all they need.

Reactions: Atlanta917
Well, maybe the eye test can be deceiving but we pushed around Bama's line pretty well this year but yet our line didnt grade out all that well, but I saw them push Bama all over, while UGA by the end of the year had taken a step back to the point they had no push at all. I mean yes I know LSU just won the NC, but dear lord UGA scored how many in that game again? Also we know that Baylor had a good year overall, but that Big 12 sucked balls as a while which was also shown in their bowl games and them all getting manhandled except for one game with Texas. So not sure they proved all that much against a highly overrated team but i guess we will agree to disagree on all that. As far as Fromm taking a step back, yes he lost a lot of firepower with WR and TE leaving, but again if your OL is good enough they can make an average back look into an all star as well as an average QB look like an all star. A Big bad OL helps out many an ills and I dont see UGA having a very good one next year, especially losing most of their OL and one of the most respected OL coaches in the country. Now I do think as you do that Newman is somewhere in between savior and a joke. He will probably be a serviceable QB who doesnt win or lose games for them and most likely with the D they have next season that might be all they need.
Seems we agree on a decent amount. IMO Newman’s success hinges on Coley’s ability to change the offense, which shouldn’t sound too promising for UGA fans. It’s also kind of funny that some UGA fans were King or bust, then as soon as UGA gets Newman and they forget about King, King enters the portal. Will be interesting to see where king ends up. If Brady stays at LSU I could see king going there. Doubt Riley pushes out Rattler for king, but you never know. If UT isn’t sold on JG then King could be a nice bridge to the Bailey years.

Reactions: Bigorangefaninga

VN Store

Back