QB Jamie Newman Transfers to Georgia

Not saying he will pass those QB’s, but Joe Burrow wasn’t predicted to be a first round pick last year and now he’s projected to go number 1 overall. Also, good college QB doesn’t always equal good NFL QB. There have been multiple heisman winners that just haven’t worked out at the next level. Troy Smith, Tim Tebow, Manziel, etc.

Joe Burrow transferred as a junior and got zero playing time at OSU, no one knew what he had the potential to be because he wasn't given a chance. Newnan is a known quantity who has made several starts, there is plenty of film on him, not to mention he only has one year of eligibility. It isn't remotely the same situation. Burrow had two years of eligibility and was very average during his first year at LSU. No one is confusing Troy Smith, Tim Tebow, or Johnny Manziel with Newnan.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
Not sure how good Beck really is. He struggled his senior year and if the staff was sold on him they probably wouldn’t have gotten Newman. There will be more talent at WR and TE, it’ll just be inexperienced. The o-line also has talent, just inexperienced outside Hill and Salyer.
You all will miss Pittman/Chaney combo. I am still trying to figure out if Pittman is good without Chaney. UGA's OL regressed last year.

Joe Burrow transferred as a junior and got zero playing time at OSU, no one knew what he had the potential to be because he wasn't given a chance. Newnan is a known quantity who has made several starts, there is plenty of film on him, not to mention he only has one year of eligibility. It isn't remotely the same situation. Burrow had two years of eligibility and was very average during his first year at LSU. No one is confusing Troy Smith, Tim Tebow, or Johnny Manziel with Newnan.
Burrow has an average junior campaign, then played his way into the first round with his senior year. I’m not saying Newman will do that, just that he can. I mentioned the second part because some ppl act like the NFL is the end all be all for college QB’s, when that’s not the case. It would be incorrect to say a QB is bad because they’re coming back for their senior year because not all QB’s have a game that will translate at the next level.

You all will miss Pittman/Chaney combo. I am still trying to figure out if Pittman is good without Chaney. UGA's OL regressed last year.
I think Smart’s main issue is that he’s trying to smash a square peg through a round hole. He keeps trying to make an outdated offense work when it’s clear college football has evolved. Bully ball just doesn’t work any more. It used to be defenses that won championships, now it’s passing oriented offenses. In today’s college football passing games travel, while defenses can be hit or miss.

DJ Shockley thinks Newman is an elite talent, so I already know he will be below average at best. Watching him struggle versus Michigan State....

Correct good game planners in SEC will stump him, a one year starter
he was around 45% facing, all loses
Clemson Venerable
VT Bud Foster D
Syracuse Brian Ward D
Mich State Mike Tressel DC
I hope your right. But it could be down to the poor quality of his team more than his own short comings.

Reactions: whodeycin85
he does a lot of our games....he was thought Jauan Jennings jumped up and down on the Vandy players head...:rolleyes:
lol I haven't heard of him in years. All the way back to 2005 when he was UGA's QB. I saw the Jennings incident, no way did he "jump". Not surprising that a radio or tv guy would use hyperbole for shock value I guess.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
Burrow has an average junior campaign, then played his way into the first round with his senior year. I’m not saying Newman will do that, just that he can. I mentioned the second part because some ppl act like the NFL is the end all be all for college QB’s, when that’s not the case. It would be incorrect to say a QB is bad because they’re coming back for their senior year because not all QB’s have a game that will translate at the next level.

That went right over your head. The point was even a great qb like Joe Burrow needed a year to learn the system before he could excel and a great coaching addition. Joe Burrow was also recruited by OSU so he clearly had potential. Newman has ONE year to learn the system, James Coley to teach him, and was recruited by Wake Forest. There is literally nothing similar between the two. As far as the draft goes again you are missing the point, I was commenting on the notion that he was projected as a possible first round pick. It is laughable to suggest he would pass up first round money for a year at UGA especially considering Fields and Lawrence will be draft eligible next year. UGA fans keep ignoring the fact that his backup threw for 300+ yards in his only two conference starts as compared to Newman who didn’t throw for over 300 yards in a single conference game with those same said terrible receivers at WF. He is also an underclassmen which is the real reason Newman is transferring, not to improve his draft stock.

That went right over your head. The point was even a great qb like Joe Burrow needed a year to learn the system before he could excel and a great coaching addition. Joe Burrow was also recruited by OSU so he clearly had potential. Newman has ONE year to learn the system, James Coley to teach him, and was recruited by Wake Forest. There is literally nothing similar between the two. As far as the draft goes again you are missing the point, I was commenting on the notion that he was projected as a possible first round pick. It is laughable to suggest he would pass up first round money for a year at UGA especially considering Fields and Lawrence will be draft eligible next year. UGA fans keep ignoring the fact that his backup threw for 300+ yards in his only two conference starts as compared to Newman who didn’t throw for over 300 yards in a single conference game with those same said terrible receivers at WF. He is also an underclassmen which is the real reason Newman is transferring, not to improve his draft stock.
First, LSU used a different system in year 2. It wasn’t like Burrow needed a year to get adjusted to their system, they used a completely different system in year 2 under Brady than they did year 1. As far as being recruited by Wake, that’s also irrelevant. Different players adjust to college differently. Duke recruited a QB who went in the first round, Baker Mayfield walked on to two schools, and Gardner Minshew was an after thought to the recruiting services. Second, I never said Newman passed up first round money. Just that a player can be a good college QB without being a good NFL prospect.

I have no clue how successful Newman will be at UGA. He’s going from the least talented team in the ACC to a talented one in the SEC and the level of his competition, outside Clemson, will also rise. The point of my post wasn’t to say he would be elite or anything like that. Just that players have been able to play their way up the draft boards and that a QB can be good in college and not be a good NFL prospect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Purple Tiger
First, LSU used a different system in year 2. It wasn’t like Burrow needed a year to get adjusted to their system, they used a completely different system in year 2 under Brady than they did year 1. As far as being recruited by Wake, that’s also irrelevant. Different players adjust to college differently. Duke recruited a QB who went in the first round, Baker Mayfield walked on to two schools, and Gardner Minshew was an after thought to the recruiting services. Second, I never said Newman passed up first round money. Just that a player can be a good college QB without being a good NFL prospect.

I have no clue how successful Newman will be at UGA. He’s going from the least talented team in the ACC to a talented one in the SEC and the level of his competition, outside Clemson, will also rise. The point of my post wasn’t to say he would be elite or anything like that. Just that players have been able to play their way up the draft boards and that a QB can be good in college and not be a good NFL prospect.

For every Gardner Minshew or Baker Mayfield there are 10k Rick Clausens, his backup was able to throw for 300+ yards in his only two conference starts with those same said WF players. Newman wasn't able to do it in a single conference game with the same players. All those players you mentioned have one thing in common, great offensive minds coaching them: David Cutcliff, Mike Leach, Lincoln Riley, and Joe Brady. UGA has James Coley and Matt Luke. It's irrelevant that Newman was recruited by Wake Forest? That would make sense if he had lit up the record books at Wake Forest but he didn't especially against any competition with a pulse. It seems to me he played exactly to his abilities which was good enough to beat poor to average competition. UGA is trying to polish a turd, it's just that simple.

For every Gardner Minshew or Baker Mayfield there are 10k Rick Clausens, his backup was able to throw for 300+ yards in his only two conference starts with those same said WF players. Newman wasn't able to do it in a single conference game with the same players. All those players you mentioned have one thing in common, great offensive minds coaching them: David Cutcliff, Mike Leach, Lincoln Riley, and Joe Brady. UGA has James Coley and Matt Luke. It's irrelevant that Newman was recruited by Wake Forest? That would make sense if he had lit up the record books at Wake Forest but he didn't especially against any competition with a pulse. It seems to me he played exactly to his abilities which was good enough to beat poor to average competition. UGA is trying to polish a turd, it's just that simple.
so if we get curb stompped by UGA and newman next year are you gonna come back here admit your wrong???

We may just have different definitions of bad. I think he’ll be average until proved otherwise. Average to me means won’t lose you the game, but also won’t win you the game. Bad to me means benched and I don’t see anyone on UGA’s roster that would be a better option. If UGA doesn’t change their offense then he’ll be average imo.

We may just have different definitions of bad. I think he’ll be average until proved otherwise. Average to me means won’t lose you the game, but also won’t win you the game. Bad to me means benched and I don’t see anyone on UGA’s roster that would be a better option. If UGA doesn’t change their offense then he’ll be average imo.

I can agree with that and think he may even be better than average. My questioning of him was more from Georgia fans that expect him to lead them to a NC because they believe he will be better than Fromm and are trying to recreate Joe Burrow. He could be great but I am not sure you can expect greatness in year one of a new system on a new team. It takes time to gel. I am not sure we will ever see another Joe Burrow. That may have been one of the greatest seasons ever for a college qb imho.

Reactions: Atlanta917
I can agree with that and think he may even be better than average. My questioning of him was more from Georgia fans that expect him to lead them to a NC because they believe he will be better than Fromm and are trying to recreate Joe Burrow. He could be great but I am not sure you can expect greatness in year one of a new system on a new team. It takes time to gel. I am not sure we will ever see another Joe Burrow. That may have been one of the greatest seasons ever for a college qb imho.
Agree on all of it. Joe Burrow just had the greatest season in recent memory, maybe ever. Realistically Newman isn’t doing that, but he could have a better season than Fromm’s last year. I think the main is if UGA is willing to update their offense. It seemed like Saban was talking directly to Smart in the pregame interview when he talked about bully ball not working any more. The game has changed and the old bama style just doesn’t work any more. Can UGA change their offense? Sure. Do I believe they will? Not until I see it on the field.

The fact that the game is in November makes it more interesting, though.

It's possible that JG wins the starting job, but Bailey or Maurer overtakes him by November.

That may have helped us this year, which we should view as an extreme circumstance, but I don’t think Volnation can handle another musical chairs QB situation.

We need continuity and someone who can actually take the job and run with it.

Please people don’t @ me with JG stats versus Mizzou or UK. That’s like saying Tee Martin was an awesome passer because of the South Carolina game.

Agree on all of it. Joe Burrow just had the greatest season in recent memory, maybe ever. Realistically Newman isn’t doing that, but he could have a better season than Fromm’s last year. I think the main is if UGA is willing to update their offense. It seemed like Saban was talking directly to Smart in the pregame interview when he talked about bully ball not working any more. The game has changed and the old bama style just doesn’t work any more. Can UGA change their offense? Sure. Do I believe they will? Not until I see it on the field.

He better hope that they can recreate an offensive line. Doesnt matter if they had Burrow if the QB has 1 second to throw the ball before getting creamed. UGA replaces their entire front pretty much, their WR crew is not very good so they only have the RB's to worry about. Burrow on the other hand was surrounded by NFL type talent that UGA will not have. Also as we have seen Newman is coming from a pretty good offensive system with Clausen. his offense has been at least decent everywhere he has went(except for the Fulmer experiment where he wasnt able to roll out the entire system after talking with him) so Newman will be coming to UGA to a completely different offensive system. I say he does about as well as JG did for UT this year and that was not all that great.

He better hope that they can recreate an offensive line. Doesnt matter if they had Burrow if the QB has 1 second to throw the ball before getting creamed. UGA replaces their entire front pretty much, their WR crew is not very good so they only have the RB's to worry about. Burrow on the other hand was surrounded by NFL type talent that UGA will not have. Also as we have seen Newman is coming from a pretty good offensive system with Clausen. his offense has been at least decent everywhere he has went(except for the Fulmer experiment where he wasnt able to roll out the entire system after talking with him) so Newman will be coming to UGA to a completely different offensive system. I say he does about as well as JG did for UT this year and that was not all that great.

Swift and Herrien are going to be difficult to replace but they have talent as always. Cook is very shifty but he is very undersized and goes down with nearly any contact. White may be there best back.

Swift and Herrien are going to be difficult to replace but they have talent as always. Cook is very shifty but he is very undersized and goes down with nearly any contact. White may be there best back.

Their issue might be who blocks for them, a RB can be all world and still be average or even suck behind a terrible OL and I dont think they can run a Leach type offense there if their running game isnt very good.

I’m more worried about QB play and OC than line play. UGA’s line looked fine against Baylor in the Sugar Bowl. While UGA is replacing starters Cleveland, Salyer, and Hill all have experience. Webb is a 5* who may see playing time along with Truss and a few other 4*’s. The WR/TE positions will also be more talented than last year, though inexperienced. Pickens and Blaylock will be a year older and UGA recruited well at WR and TE this year. LSU’s WR’s weren’t considered elite until this year when they had an OC who was able to design plays to get them the ball. UGA has an open coaching position, which I assume will be used to help Coley because it’s apparent he needs the help. Newman is more mobile than Fromm and has a better deep ball, but he’s not as good as Fromm was with pre snap reads and the intermediate passing game. Right now there’s just so many question marks I’m not comfortable predicting anything. Things could go well, but just as easily go bad. Also will be interesting to see if King goes to LSU or OU. He could be scary with LSU if Brady stays and if he goes to OU I could see Rattler transferring. Rattler redshirted last year so he could transfer anywhere and play immediately as a redshirt freshman with a year of learning under Riley.

Reactions: Chattdawg
I’m more worried about QB play and OC than line play. UGA’s line looked fine against Baylor in the Sugar Bowl. While UGA is replacing starters Cleveland, Salyer, and Hill all have experience. Webb is a 5* who may see playing time along with Truss and a few other 4*’s. The WR/TE positions will also be more talented than last year, though inexperienced. Pickens and Blaylock will be a year older and UGA recruited well at WR and TE this year. LSU’s WR’s weren’t considered elite until this year when they had an OC who was able to design plays to get them the ball. UGA has an open coaching position, which I assume will be used to help Coley because it’s apparent he needs the help. Newman is more mobile than Fromm and has a better deep ball, but he’s not as good as Fromm was with pre snap reads and the intermediate passing game. Right now there’s just so many question marks I’m not comfortable predicting anything. Things could go well, but just as easily go bad. Also will be interesting to see if King goes to LSU or OU. He could be scary with LSU if Brady stays and if he goes to OU I could see Rattler transferring. Rattler redshirted last year so he could transfer anywhere and play immediately as a redshirt freshman with a year of learning under Riley.

You do know that OL usually takes the longest for the star players to actually become stars? I mean UT's line sucked for years and almost all of those that couldn't block for crap were led by 4 and 5 stars. I mean we went through 2 this year that were some of the highest ranked prospects in the country and their OL grades weren't all that good although they were doing better by the end of the year. And UGA OL wasn't all that good this year with their experienced and good guys on it, so I cannot imagine their backups were just studs that were sitting the bench. So yes their OL prob takes an even bigger step back which means their stud after stud of running backs don't have anyone to block for them and can't take pressure off their QB. As far as TE they are ok there, but they didn't use them all that much this year and that was even after having an experienced Wolf join them from UT who caught a whopping 12 or 13 catches for the season. Washington might come in and be a game changer there, but after watching his competition he was a man among boys in Vegas and I mean seriously the kids he was playing against in those videos looked like a bunch of middle school kids, so he might be a huge stud or he could be very overrated playing against joke competition, we shall see. I just hope that UGA keeps their OC and they continue to not be very good, I mean Fromm was a stud his first few years and took a big step back this year, I am not sure I don't see the same happening with Newman. As far as beating any of them, I still don't see this team with JG or even a true freshman QB beating OU, UGA, Bama or UF. I just hope we win the ones we are supposed to and end up like 9-4 after the bowl and have another year of growth for this team as they are still young.

VN Store

Back