'20 TN DE Jay Hardy (Auburn commit)

Recruiting junkies, man.🤷‍♂️

But yeah, extremely rare to see an entire staff comprised only of elite teachers and recruiters. So I prefer to keep a mix. If they all can't be both, then definitely want some of the teachers.

I get it "Jimmys and Joes" but Butch proved there's a limit.
Well said Charge. I thought Rocker did a phenomenal job last year coaching up what started out being an undermanned, unproven position of weakness, into what was clearly one of the strongest position groups on the team by the end of the season. He developed a lot of depth and got a lot of production out of guys none of us thought he would have. For crying out loud, Ja’quain Blakely made perhaps the biggest play of the season when he tackled Bowden on 4th down at Kentucky. He did the best job of all our coaches with the 2nd or 3rd most important position group on the team. If he’s not a great recruiter but can balance that out with masterful coaching jobs like he did in 2019, I’m good with it.

Have you spent any time with UT's baseball coach lately? UT has the best pitching coach in college baseball. That's coming from people who know baseball. Just like football, our baseball team is gonna be a force in the college game. Guys that used to flock to Candy now come to UT.
Easy now with that last statement. Tennessee is definitely improving in baseball, Vitello and Anderson and company doing a great job. But Vandy is still the cream of the crop and best baseball program in the country under Corbin. I completely understand why Kumar went there and not Knoxville. Hopefully in a year or two that’ll change a bit, but right now if you’re a top baseball player in the country, you go to Nashville not Knoxville.

Well said Charge. I thought Rocker did a phenomenal job last year coaching up what started out being an undermanned, unproven position of weakness, into what was clearly one of the strongest position groups on the team by the end of the season. He developed a lot of depth and got a lot of production out of guys none of us thought he would have. For crying out loud, Ja’quain Blakely made perhaps the biggest play of the season when he tackled Bowden on 4th down at Kentucky. He did the best job of all our coaches with the 2nd or 3rd most important position group on the team. If he’s not a great recruiter but can balance that out with masterful coaching jobs like he did in 2019, I’m good with it.
Warrior played assignment football on that play as well by taking the pitch man and making Bowden turn it back to the middle. Last year I have bet my house on Warrior taking the the QB and the pitch would have gone for a TD. Good coaching all the way around.

Warrior played assignment football on that play as well by taking the pitch man and making Bowden turn it back to the middle. Last year I have bet my house on Warrior taking the the QB and the pitch would have gone for a TD. Good coaching all the way around.
That was one of the best and most selfless plays I have seen in a long time! Warrior had a ton of plays that game.

Easy now with that last statement. Tennessee is definitely improving in baseball, Vitello and Anderson and company doing a great job. But Vandy is still the cream of the crop and best baseball program in the country under Corbin. I completely understand why Kumar went there and not Knoxville. Hopefully in a year or two that’ll change a bit, but right now if you’re a top baseball player in the country, you go to Nashville not Knoxville.
So you could say the same thing about bama football. No point in coming to Tennessee to play football and making Tennessee number 1.

Soooo.... any news here or still debating on whether or not Rocker is a good recruiter/coach?

Nothing new. His comments in VQ article is what lead to the Rocker talk though. I don’t think Rocker will be back because we are sticking with Sherrer and Ansley in him despite his wishes to have better relationship with position coach.

Guys that used to flock to Candy now come to UT.
Just false and never wilL be the case under the current $ rules and coaches.

we might finally be occasionally beating them out of a player here and there but they are always going to win a large majority of recruiting battles with us.

Reactions: LibertyVol
Just false and never wilL be the case under the current $ rules and coaches.

we might finally be occasionally beating them out of a player here and there but they are always going to win a large majority of recruiting battles with us.
Don't they have some recruiting advantage over everybody else? Seems like I remember hearing that.

Reactions: Tetonvol
Vandy has more funds available for full rides in Baseball

ummm no. They have 12 just like everyone.

edit: sorry, i think I see what you are saying. I remember seeing Dansby Swanson saying he had to take out loans just like almost everyone on the team to pay the tuition.

ummm no. They have 12 just like everyone.

edit: sorry, i think I see what you are saying. I remember seeing Dansby Swanson saying he had to take out loans just like almost everyone on the team to pay the tuition.

No problem, I’m not sure of the mechanics of it- but John Wilkerson mentioned in the past that TN lost a few recruits to Vandy because of the lack of a full ride

No problem, I’m not sure of the mechanics of it- but John Wilkerson mentioned in the past that TN lost a few recruits to Vandy because of the lack of a full ride

All D1 schools have 12 athletic grant-in-aid scholarships available to distribute. It's totally up to the coach how these get "divvy'd up". Most big time pitchers end up getting a larger slice of the pie, perhaps a full scholarship. It's a terrible system for the "non revenue teams" (all sports other than football and basketball) because some baseball teams have upwards of 30 players on the roster. Some university's do not allow student-athletes to have both academic and athletic scholarships, only one or the other.

All D1 schools have 12 athletic grant-in-aid scholarships available to distribute. It's totally up to the coach how these get "divvy'd up". Most big time pitchers end up getting a larger slice of the pie, perhaps a full scholarship. It's a terrible system for the "non revenue teams" (all sports other than football and basketball) because some baseball teams have upwards of 30 players on the roster. Some university's do not allow student-athletes to have both academic and athletic scholarships, only one or the other.
Title x at its finest.

Regarding baseball - Vanderbilt has had a historically strong baseball program - I was fortunate enough to hear coach Corbin speak at a high school baseball banquet 12 years or so ago and was tremendously impressed. In the past couple of years I have had the pleasure of hearing Tony V and meeting him and also came away tremendously impressed. He is Corbin's equal I believe only younger in how he carries himself and structures his program. Vanderbilt has a huge advantage on every other SEC baseball program - I don't know the specifics but because they are a private institution - they are able to essentially provide private academic scholarships which marry up with the baseball athletic scholarships. Don't ask me to explain how or why … that is just how it was agreed to for baseball --- I guess by the SEC presidents and AD's. So Vandy does have an advantage there.

If I had a son in Tennessee or the Southeast that was a top prospect - I would encourage them to consider both Tenn and Vandy among a small handful of programs. I really couldn't say that three years ago. Our baseball program has made huge strides - I prefer our current Coach and program to theirs, but I recognize that they have a great program and coach as well. Don't be shocked if we overtake them from time to time in the coming years ….. we were dramatically better last year and should be even better this season.

the advantage for Vandy is enormous in baseball.

This is the shortest quickest way to explain their Advantage and only a few schools have it.

Vandy meets the “full financial needs” of every student at their school. Which means any baseball player that parents make less than 200k a year gets approximately 90% of their entire cost of attendance paid for. A 90% scholarship is a HUGE one and those players are walk ons for them

They then can use the 11.7 on players that parents make more than 200k like Swanson.

It’s a huge advantage

the advantage for Vandy is enormous in baseball.

This is the shortest quickest way to explain their Advantage and only a few schools have it.

Vandy meets the “full financial needs” of every student at their school. Which means any baseball player that parents make less than 200k a year gets approximately 90% of their entire cost of attendance paid for. A 90% scholarship is a HUGE one and those players are walk ons for them

They then can use the 11.7 on players that parents make more than 200k like Swanson.

It’s a huge advantage

Wow yeah that’s a massive advantage and a no brainer for most kids

VN Store

Back