QB Jamie Newman Transfers to Georgia

I guess I assumed Georgia recruited better. I also did not know that Mathis wasn't cleared. I think Beck can start from day one. If I'm Georgia, I throw him into the fire and will take my lumps for a year to give him the experience.
I think Kirby has himself painted into a corner now. He hasn't won the big one with a LOADED roster. Now the loaded roster has dwindled down. He has a big turnover to overcome. If he throws a true freshman in there to take his lumps, the fanbase will have Kirby on a really hot seat.

Apparently Richt thinks he will be the best QB in the SEC next year. After slumming on Eason’s couch for his LOI he must be an expert....

I mean, is JG any better than this kid? UGA may take a step back on offense next year, but it's not like our QB situation is any better. Bailey is probably as advertised, but if how our QB situation was handled this year is any indication, I expect more of the same next yr.

Reactions: whodeycin85
He's pretty good. I saw a couple of their games.

Georgia is a great destination for a QB...I’m not sure who they have behind Fromm but they always recruit well. If nothing else this will improve their depth at QB and make spring more interesting...

His passing stats were comparable to Fromm's with a much weaker supporting cast; and what makes him scary is more his ability to improvise and pick up yards running. He's not quite Josh Dobbs good as a runner, but he may be a better passer than Dobbs.

I don't think there's any question that he's a very good QB. Only question is how will he look in Georgia's more pro-style offense rather than Clawson's RPO offense that was likely built around him.
Talented player with experience.
But it's hard to compare stats from team to team and even more from conference to conference.

He ll have a lot more talent around him than he did at WF, but hes not playing WFs schedule with it either.

JG is not better than Newman and probably worse but I don’t think Newman will be Georgia’s superhero. Im hoping Bailey will be our God of Thunder to strike fear into our opponents, our Flash when they try to sack him, our Superman when our foes need their asses kicked!

I mean, is JG any better than this kid? UGA may take a step back on offense next year, but it's not like our QB situation is any better.
Aside from touchdowns (26 for Newman vs. 16 for JG) Newman's passing stats and overall QB rating are similar to JG. What makes Newman a difference maker is his ability to run the ball. In his only year as the starter he led Wake in rushing this year and scored 6 times on the ground. Meanwhile, JG appears unwilling or unable to run the ball. As Tennessee's starting QB for three years, JG has run for one TD. That's a pretty startling stat.

Aside from touchdowns (26 for Newman vs. 16 for JG) Newman's passing stats and overall QB rating are similar to JG. What makes Newman a difference maker is his ability to run the ball. In his only year as the starter he led Wake in rushing this year and scored 6 times on the ground. Meanwhile, JG appears unwilling or unable to run the ball. As Tennessee's starting QB for three years, JG has run for one TD. That's a pretty startling stat.
Oh I know. I just don't think we're in a position to be talking $h!t about UGA's offense when our QB situation is similar.

Y’all are delusional if you think a transfer qb is going to make a huge difference in his one and only year at a program with a below average OC and a defensive minded head coach, especially a program that just lost most of its starting oline and best offensive player in Swift.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Y’all are delusional if you think a transfer qb is going to make a huge difference in his one and only year at a program with a below average OC and a defensive minded head coach, especially a program that just lost most of its starting oline and best offensive player in Swift.
Again they lost 3 of those starters in the bowl game and handled a top 10 team pretty well....almost 400 total yards...

We've gotten a lot of good news this week with Trey Smith, Cimaglia, V. Jones, and some others. However, Georgia just got tougher:

Wake Forest QB Jamie Newman Transfers to Georgia

I get that he wants to play for a big-time program and have a shot at making the playoff, but for the life of me, I still don't see why anyone would leave Dave Clawson's excellent coaching staff to go to the offensive mess at UGa. Think he would've been better off at Oregon or Washington.

The supposed reasoning was that pro scouts wanted to see him outside of an RPO offense. This is interesting since Georgia's offense may not be playing to his strengths. Indeed, one thing about Clawson is that he is excellent about building teams around his players' strengths, so he'll now go to an offense that could potentially be the reverse. Nevertheless, he is an excellent QB.

Regardless, our game versus Georgia next season could be very interesting. It's now in mid-November, rather than September or early October. Both teams could look quite a bit different by then, particularly on offense.
Who gives a fart. They’re defense will be whooped by halftime of every game. WGWTFA

Talent is talent. This guy would be a good quarterback at any level. Nice pickup for the yard dawgs. I kind of expect him to have a tough time staying healthy, a la Tua this year and last year, because he's going to be getting killed by really tough defenses on a regular basis. But he will definitely make some big plays along the way.

A friend of mine who is a UGa grad and booster told me they were going to make a major overhaul to their offense this spring. He said it was going to be more rpo oriented to attract the dual threat qbs that they have missed on previously.
They didn't miss on them, they just started Fromm instead and lost the best RPO QB they could hope for--Fields. Huge mistake by Kirby not playing him more. And, they have a 4* Dual Threat QB in D'wan Mathis on the roster as well. Just one other scholarship QB on 2019 roster and a "pro" QB committed this year. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Kirby starts Mathis, grooming him for the future, using Newman as a backup. If he goes with Newman and loses Mathis, they could be in a world of hurt in '21. If they go RPO, they probably lose the pro-style QB they got committed this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: tn4elvis
I mean, is JG any better than this kid? UGA may take a step back on offense next year, but it's not like our QB situation is any better. Bailey is probably as advertised, but if how our QB situation was handled this year is any indication, I expect more of the same next yr.

The fact that the game is in November makes it more interesting, though.

It's possible that JG wins the starting job, but Bailey or Maurer overtakes him by November.

Reactions: norrislakevol
The fact that the game is in November makes it more interesting, though.

It's possible that JG wins the starting job, but Bailey or Maurer overtakes him by November.
I hope. I appreciate JG's dedication and I wish him the best of luck, but it's time to move on.

They didn't miss on them, they just started Fromm instead and lost the best RPO QB they could hope for--Fields. Huge mistake by Kirby not playing him more. And, they have a 4* Dual Threat QB in D'wan Mathis on the roster as well. Just one other scholarship QB on 2019 roster and a "pro" QB committed this year. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Kirby starts Mathis, grooming him for the future, using Newman as a backup. If he goes with Newman and loses Mathis, they could be in a world of hurt in '21. If they go RPO, they probably lose the pro-style QB they got committed this year.
Mathis had a cyst removed from his brain and hasn’t been cleared for contact. Surgery was last year and he’s still waiting to be cleared. Wouldn’t be smart to bet on him.

This. Before he announced Georgia, I was wondering what all the hype regarding this kid was. I think it's a dumb decision by Smart and reeks of desperation. What message are you sending to your QB room with this transfer? You can save this thread and quote me later. I hope he's the starter when we play Georgia.
You mean the QB room consisting of a former walk on, an Ohio St. transfer who hasn't yet been medically cleared, and an incoming freshman? You see desperation in a coach trying to improve on that? It would be coaching malpractice not to try to improve that room.

I hope. I appreciate JG's dedication and I wish him the best of luck, but it's time to move on.

I think it would be best for everyone if he transferred. I have pretty high expectations for the team the next year. I'd temper those expectations if it meant a true freshman started all year and took some lumps. But if we win (say eight games) next year and JG was starting the whole or majority of the time, then it's going to be a major issue.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife

This notion that Smart made a mistake not benching Fromm for fields is 20/20 hindsight at its worst. Fromm led Georgia to its first SEC/College Football Championship in years. They were within a whisker of winning the game. I think Smart has some glaring deficiencies, but sticking with Fromm was not one of them. Fields would be the Georgia starter for at least one more year with an absolutely sick defense if he had stuck around.

Reactions: Atlanta917
You can also argue he played a much easier schedule than Fromm tho.. the teams he lit up were Elon, Rice, Utah St, and NC State.

I guess we'll see how he does next year

Worth noting that we almost had the NC State head coach he lit up as our head coach.

Bullet officially dodged.

Sounds like a dumpster fire in waiting.

Again they lost 3 of those starters in the bowl game and handled a top 10 team pretty well....almost 400 total yards...

Uh huh, let’s look at it this way. Fromm is headed to the NFL draft and he wasn’t that great according to most Georgia fans. He looked very average for most of the year in that offense with Swift and a good oline. Yet, he left school, went to the NFL draft, and will likely be picked in the first round. Meanwhile, UGA is going to be “better” with a qb who is a graduate transfer, has two years of film, and entered the transfer portal instead of the NFL draft? Georgia fans logic: transfer portal > NFL draft. For every Joe Burrow, there are dozens of Danny Etling, Kasim Hill, Rick Clausen, and Kelly Bryant qb transfers

This notion that Smart made a mistake not benching Fromm for fields is 20/20 hindsight at its worst. Fromm led Georgia to its first SEC/College Football Championship in years. They were within a whisker of winning the game. I think Smart has some glaring deficiencies, but sticking with Fromm was not one of them. Fields would be the Georgia starter for at least one more year with an absolutely sick defense if he had stuck around.

It is if Fields was the better player. He didn’t have any trouble benching Eason for Fromm who was also a good young player. Jalen Hurts was benched for Tua and he had much better success as a starter. Not being able to recognize talent is a major coaching deficiency

VN Store

Back