QB Jamie Newman Transfers to Georgia

We've gotten a lot of good news this week with Trey Smith, Cimaglia, V. Jones, and some others. However, Georgia just got tougher:

Wake Forest QB Jamie Newman Transfers to Georgia

I get that he wants to play for a big-time program and have a shot at making the playoff, but for the life of me, I still don't see why anyone would leave Dave Clawson's excellent coaching staff to go to the offensive mess at UGa. Think he would've been better off at Oregon or Washington.

The supposed reasoning was that pro scouts wanted to see him outside of an RPO offense. This is interesting since Georgia's offense may not be playing to his strengths. Indeed, one thing about Clawson is that he is excellent about building teams around his players' strengths, so he'll now go to an offense that could potentially be the reverse. Nevertheless, he is an excellent QB.

Regardless, our game versus Georgia next season could be very interesting. It's now in mid-November, rather than September or early October. Both teams could look quite a bit different by then, particularly on offense.

He's a very good fill in and will mask a lot of the deficiencies we UT fans hoped would hinder their offense due to the losses along the OL. Would have loved to get him here for a year while Maurer and Bailey continue to grow. Perhaps Coley can screw things up enough to offset his talents.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
He's a very good fill in and will mask a lot of the deficiencies we UT fans hoped would hinder their offense due to the losses along the OL. Would have loved to get him here for a year while Maurer and Bailey continue to grow. Perhaps Coley can screw things up enough to offset his talents.
I don't think Newman will be a difference maker for Georgia, his talent is barely average.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Good point. But you know where I’m coming from on Fromm. He was Drew Brees v Florida the last two years.
Ya, he certainly saved his best game for UF every year. Not sure if it was more him or Grantham though. The third and long conversions were probably a bit of both.

Reactions: Jaws
I love how everyone is so critical of a QB that had a better year passing and rushing then out entire QB room... but he not very good and struggled against clemson. Lol. F'n CLEMSON. How about Vandy or IU???

Yes, he is exactly what the dogs need.

Someone who can run for their life behind an inexperience O-line

Reactions: VolnJC
The posters on 247 aren’t even looking at the Newman transfer or the fact that they are essentially replacing the entire Offensive unit objectively. They actually think they are winning it all next year because of Newman.

His passing stats were comparable to Fromm's with a much weaker supporting cast; and what makes him scary is more his ability to improvise and pick up yards running. He's not quite Josh Dobbs good as a runner, but he may be a better passer than Dobbs.

I don't think there's any question that he's a very good QB. Only question is how will he look in Georgia's more pro-style offense rather than Clawson's RPO offense that was likely built around him.

Well it'd be fitting if he didn't make the 1st team. Had a good sit at Wake; IMO.

I expected someone more like KJ Costello transferring into UGA. I’ll gladly take Newman instead for UGA though lol Maybe LSU has its eyes on Costello

He will have George Pickens to throw too that dude might be the best WR in the SEC next season. He also could be the running QB that Georgia has been needing for so long if they can tweak their offense to his skill set.

He will have George Pickens to throw too that dude might be the best WR in the SEC next season. He also could be the running QB that Georgia has been needing for so long if they can tweak their offense to his skill set.
I wont be shocked if Pickens thuggery gets him thrown off the team sooner rather than later

Reactions: Jax_Vol

Pickens could be great
If Pickens didn’t take plays off
If he gave 110% effort
Finished blocks

just as Kirby.

His passing stats were comparable to Fromm's with a much weaker supporting cast; and what makes him scary is more his ability to improvise and pick up yards running. He's not quite Josh Dobbs good as a runner, but he may be a better passer than Dobbs.

I don't think there's any question that he's a very good QB. Only question is how will he look in Georgia's more pro-style offense rather than Clawson's RPO offense that was likely built around him.

He's not even close to a "very good QB.". He's above average imo though. He's serviceable for UGA.

We've gotten a lot of good news this week with Trey Smith, Cimaglia, V. Jones, and some others. However, Georgia just got tougher:

I get that he wants to play for a big-time program and have a shot at making the playoff, but for the life of me, I still don't see why anyone would leave Dave Clawson's excellent coaching staff to go to the offensive mess at UGa. Think he would've been better off at Oregon or Washington.

The supposed reasoning was that pro scouts wanted to see him outside of an RPO offense. This is interesting since Georgia's offense may not be playing to his strengths. Indeed, one thing about Clawson is that he is excellent about building teams around his players' strengths, so he'll now go to an offense that could potentially be the reverse. Nevertheless, he is an excellent QB.

Regardless, our game versus Georgia next season could be very interesting. It's now in mid-November, rather than September or early October. Both teams could look quite a bit different by then, particularly on offense.

Sure it did. Joe Burrow, the QB every fan points to was a shell of himself his first year at LSU; 2018-16 total touchdowns
2019- 55 total touchdowns
UGA’s transfer will have one year total to play, learn a new system, and be tutored by James Coley. I don’t foresee any issues 😏. Georgia fans love to point to Wake Forest level talent but they neglect to point to an ACC level schedule. Wake Forest wasn’t exactly playing a difficult schedule. He lit up Utah State, Rice, Elon, and Duke. He did however throw for 41 yards against Clemson and his back up had better stats in conference play. There is a reason players that get a lot of playing time transfer and most of them aren’t good. Being better than other options on the roster doesn’t magically make you great.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019

You can’t be serious but you are. Good quarterbacks who started at their previous schools don’t transfer out. Good quarterbacks who didn’t get a chance to start transfer out. It isn’t that difficult to understand. His backup outperformed him statistically in his two conference games as compared to him. That is why he is transferring out, not because he is some prodigy. Georgia fans are trying to polish a turd and I don’t blame them

Maybe best chance to start?

VN Store

Back