Quarterback

Which qb realistically gives us the best shot to win games in 2020?

• Jarrett Guarantano

Votes: 132 22.8%
  • Harrison Bailey

Votes: 329 56.7%
  • Kasim Hill

Votes: 61 10.5%
  • Brian Maurer

Votes: 134 23.1%
  • JT Shrout

Votes: 22 3.8%

• Total voters
Don’t waste your time . Irish1485 is not going to acknowledge any facts that prove the opposite of what bs he’s been posting.
Might as well argue with a wall
Ive noticed that once you bring up fact or ask certain questions. Everythong stops. Lol

Ive noticed that once you bring up fact or ask certain questions. Everythong stops. Lol

What facts did you bring up? There's no way you actually even checked the list you provided.. your listed included Arthur Sitkowski at Rutgers last year.. He threw for a whopping 4 TDs and 18 INTs (yes 18).. the entire point was about excelling true freshman QBs.. then he proceeded to give a list of 6 QBs (Litterally HALF the list were redshirt freshman lol) but by all means, I'll be the one that's allergic to facts lol.. the only other link requires an ESPN subscription, never paid for that in my life.

Like I said, agree to disagree. But the case was pretty terrible about EXCELLING true freshman QBs. Good day

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
What facts did you bring up? There's no way you actually even checked the list you provided.. your listed included Arthur Sitkowski at Rutgers last year.. He threw for a whopping 4 TDs and 18 INTs (yes 18).. the entire point was about excelling true freshman QBs.. then he proceeded to give a list of 6 QBs (Litterally HALF the list were redshirt freshman lol) but by all means, I'll be the one that's allergic to facts lol.. the only other link requires an ESPN subscription, never paid for that in my life.

Like I said, agree to disagree. But the case was pretty terrible about EXCELLING true freshman QBs. Good day
Dan Marino, Rob Calabrese, Jameis Winston, E.J. Manuel, J.T. Barrett, Braxton Miller, Cardale Jones, Josh Rosen, Jalen Hurts, Jake Fromm, Tua Tagovailoa, Jeffrey Godfrey, Landry Jones, Troy Aikman, Keith Jackson, Peyton Manning, Todd Helton, Philip Rivers, Kevin Kolb, Colt McCoy, Sam Bradford, Terrelle Pryor, Robert Griffin, Robert Griffin III, Tommie Frazier, Chad Henne, Eric Zeier, John Bond, Cale Gundy, Casey Clausen, Matthew Stafford
Idc enough to separate redshirts

Last edited:
That depends. To start the season? JG and for a bit, most definitely. You're not going into Oklahoma and Florida and winning with Bailey or Maurer.
Now you wanna talk about Georgia in November? Can't say I would go with JG.

Ok ktown. You pick the worst QB on the list ignoring the top half that had seasons on par or better then our QB. Bottom line quick cherry picking stats and players and realize that none of us know what HB will bring to the table. But history of startinging freshman in P5. Shows odds are better then 50% he will have a decent season...

Ok ktown. You pick the worst QB on the list ignoring the top half that had seasons on par or better then our QB. Bottom line quick cherry picking stats and players and realize that none of us know what HB will bring to the table. But history of startinging freshman in P5. Shows odds are better then 50% he will have a decent season...

You gave a list to make a case right? Did you not see him on that list? I'm at fault for pointing out the 4/18 guy?(I mean he really stood out) The other guys were average at best. The entire point was about excelling true freshman QBs. Lol you lowered the bar from excelling to "decent" just now..

We have no idea what HB will bring, that's a statement we can all agree on. So I think it's silly to crown him the starter when you have experience returning, seems logical..

We'll see in the spring, I hope HB does well. The goal is for UT to get back to being competitive. No point in going back and forth

Last edited:
Dan Marino, Rob Calabrese, Jameis Winston, E.J. Manuel, J.T. Barrett, Braxton Miller, Cardale Jones, Josh Rosen, Jalen Hurts, Jake Fromm, Tua Tagovailoa, Jeffrey Godfrey, Landry Jones, Troy Aikman, Keith Jackson, Peyton Manning, Todd Helton, Philip Rivers, Kevin Kolb, Colt McCoy, Sam Bradford, Terrelle Pryor, Robert Griffin, Robert Griffin III, Tommie Frazier, Chad Henne, Eric Zeier, John Bond, Cale Gundy, Casey Clausen, Matthew Stafford
Idc enough to separate redshirts

I appreciate the list but the point was true freshman QBs because HB will be one.

I would have voted for the combo of (No particular order):
Harrison Bailey
Jarrett Guarantano
Brian Maurer

But Maurer has not shown:
A) Accuracy - 46% completions, 2 TD vs 5 INT ratio
B) Ability to not get hurt when on the field for anything approaching a full half, little less an entire game.

Just went HB, JG even though Jimmy Holiday or Kasim Hill could make the competition very interesting.
I don't know if BM was fully recovered from his concussion, but he just did not seem the same after the injury. By the end Of Spring practice, people will be able to determine if he is fully recovered or not. As of today, I would have to put him 3rd behind HB and JG. With the way the team reacts when BM enters the game, he must have shown some good skills in practice.

Trask is a solid qb and I didn’t realize that Shane Mathews’ kid is a QB on their roster till yesterday. I don’t know how good he is though. @99gator or @Lawrence Wright could probably tell us. Don’t know who GA really has to replace Fromm.

Shane’s kid is a preferred walk-on.

He’s scout team for life unless we get up big against Eastern Washington or Charleston Southern.

Whoever Pruitt picks is the real answer. Still, in my heart of hearts, I think we are going to be pleasantly surprised when the Kasim Hill of beans is the top mound.
I think Hill can beat out JG for most starts. They are basically the same except Hill actually has functioning legs.

You gave a list to make a case right? Did you not see him on that list? I'm at fault for pointing out the 4/18 guy?(I mean he really stood out) The other guys were average at best. The entire point was about excelling true freshman QBs. Lol you lowered the bar from excelling to "decent" just now..

We have no idea what HB what bring, that's a statement we can all agree on. So I think it's silly to crown him the starter when you have experience returning, seems logical..

We'll see in the spring, I hope HB does well. The goal is for UT to get back to being competitive. No point in going back and forth

Lets be honest here. Bailey doesn’t have to be great. JG has put back to back seasons of less than 200 yards per game and less than 2 touchdowns per game. If Bailey can do 2K yards and 20 touchdowns in his freshman season, he’s already better than JG.

Same goes for Maurer or JT.

It’s better to have an underwhelming seasons (6-6/7-5) with Bailey or Maurer starting and playing them so they are ready and experienced going into 2021 than having an underwhelming season with JG and us having to roll out a raw QB in 2021

Reactions: whodeycin85
Lets be honest here. Bailey doesn’t have to be great. JG has put back to back seasons of less than 200 yards per game and less than 2 touchdowns per game. If Bailey can do 2K yards and 20 touchdowns in his freshman seasons, he’s already better than JG.

Same goes for Maurer or JT.
I think both Brian Maurer and JT Shrout will transfer following Spring Practice and quarterback depth chart will look like thiis

1) Jarrett Guarantano
2) Harrison Bailey
3) Kasim Hill
4) Jimmy Calloway

I think both Brian Maurer and JT Shrout will transfer following Spring Practice and quarterback depth chart will look like thiis

1) Jarrett Guarantano
2) Harrison Bailey
3) Kasim Hill
4) Jimmy Calloway

Could happen. Maurer isn’t far behind JG so unless Bailey shows out, I don’t see Maurer transferring just yet. Just my two cents

Y'all are sleeping on Kasim Hill. He has all the arm strength JG has and is probably a better runner. I watched him play against Texas
Did you watch him play against Temple (7-17, 56 yards, 0 td, 1 int)?
How about against Michigan (5-10, 62 yards, 0 td, 1 int)?
And then there was Michigan State (8-21, 74 yards, 0 tds) and Indiana (4-12, 43 yards, 0 tds, 1 int) and Iowa (6-15, 47 yards, 0 td, 1 int) and .......

And then there was Michigan State (8-21, 74 yards, 0 tds) and Indiana (4-12, 43 yards, 0 tds, 1 int) and Iowa (6-15, 47 yards, 0 td, 1 int) and .......
Kasim hill is not a good option going forward.

I don't agree with that strategy, I think Bailey needs to start and get better on the job.

I think whoever gives CJP the best chance to beat OU and UF should get the start....

Actually, whoever gives UT the best chance to beat Charlotte, should get the start. I don't give a tiny rats arse who it is.

Shane’s kid is a preferred walk-on.

He’s scout team for life unless we get up big against Eastern Washington or Charleston Southern.

Do you and/or Jaws think Trask will be the starter next year, or do you think Mullen has to concede the position to RPO kid? If you think Trask is the starter and he stays healthy, do you think he can get his name into contention as a viable NFL draft pick? I seem to remember him having the size. Arm strength seems somewhat weak.

Bad as you may believe he is, did you watch JG stats when he was getting the "hail" beat out of him behind an OL that couldn't block air his first 2.5 years or more? I imagine Hill had similar misfortunes, thus his stats. Neither JG nor KH has Kathyrine Pride's phasing ability.

Last edited:
I know very little about Hill, other than he is extremely mobile. Mobility is a good thing though.
Bailey looks like he will become a major player here, but not sure when he will become the starter...His film is spectacular.
Maurer and Stout are excellent individuals, but this past season they both had some major deficiencies, such as throwing into double coverage too regularly....
JG may still be the best option come fall, but a lot can and will happen before then. It would have been nice if he would have used his legs more, but when he runs, he does not appear too fast.
Also, the young freshmen named Holiday will play a part in determining who the main man is.

Like all of you guys, if we can get just good quarterback play, UT football could be special again.

Reactions: Ratvol

VN Store

Back