Quarterback

Which qb realistically gives us the best shot to win games in 2020?

• Jarrett Guarantano

Votes: 132 22.8%
  • Harrison Bailey

Votes: 329 56.7%
  • Kasim Hill

Votes: 61 10.5%
  • Brian Maurer

Votes: 134 23.1%
  • JT Shrout

Votes: 22 3.8%

• Total voters
Trask is pretty good ) I thought he was a Sr

Think he’s going to be a RS senior. My Florida buddy (don’t judge - he’s a really good guy) was talking about him being back next year.

I guess it has a lot to do with how spring training goes. My hope is that it ends up being a race between bailey and hill. If we could get bailey on the field as a freshman that would be an amazing scenario for us because he’d have several years to play. But I wouldn’t be disappointed with hill winning the job initially as I think he’d bring duel threat capabilities to the job. And I know Maurer might be involved in the competition as well but I just fear with him that he’ll never stay healthy. He looks to be about 170 pounds. Not sure what they list him at but I certainly he’s smaller than whatever they say he is. And the issue there is if he gets all the reps and wins the job but then goes down against Oklahoma you’re starting over with someone else.
Whatever happens I just hope Jg isn’t out there next year. I didn’t want to be mean but...I hope he’s not even on the team next year. If he’s on the roster it’ll almost certainly be his job to lose. And I just couldn’t stomach seeing him play for us again next year.

After winning a state title playing in the biggest region/division in one of the most competitive states for high school football, I’m hoping Bailey is much like Fromm, Burrow, etc. We need it and we’re due for a breakout QB.

Truth!

Dobbs & Bray were good, but we are due a next level type guy.

Perhaps BM or HG will be that guy.

I went with HB for one huge reason. I think with JG we drag out another season of what IF. Maybe somewhat better than last year...BUT what “IF.” HB is this teams future and I think that JG will push him on and off the field. With this amount of talent across both lines is HUGH. 8 starters return on both sides of the ball. Both lines are full of talent and depth.! This team has nearly 30 SENIORS and there not just a bunch of filling up a roster. These guys for the most part are staters or major contributors. Let that soak in and believe IT...this team can be very good next year. The only real ? for Pruitt is how long into next season before the ? Is answered. That’s why I feel you put all your chips into your young stud and run with him. VFL

Trask is a solid qb and I didn’t realize that Shane Mathews’ kid is a QB on their roster till yesterday. I don’t know how good he is though. @99gator or @Lawrence Wright could probably tell us. Don’t know who GA really has to replace Fromm.
Heard on radio today that Wake Forest QB Jamie Newman may be enrolled at UGA as a grad transfer.

Lol, no point in debating with you , you’ll ignore any facts and stick with your opinion.
5-6 from this year that had a higher QBR than JG, no point in you looking though

Lol ignore facts? you posted 3 redshirt freshman to try to prove your point.. which was MY point from the beginning, it's ideal that he redshirts.. so who's really ignoring facts?

Last edited:
Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
What’s my point? You have no clue.
OP: which QB gives us the best chance to win in 2020?
You seem to have closed the door on HB before he has stepped on the field.
I have not. Didn’t pick one at all.
But you just ignored the 5-6 freshman that all had a better QBR than JG .
So go ahead continue with your 2021 argument and ignore what the OP was .

"According to research from STATS Perform, 24 true freshmen started at least one game at quarterback in the FBS last season, 11 from Power 5 schools. The increase in true freshman QB starters is most felt at the major college level. From 2009–13 in the Power 5, 43 freshman quarterbacks started a total of 229 games. From 2014–18, 61 rookies started 360 games"

This is from an SI article fro. September......freshman QBs do happen and continue to happen and are setting records...so while the TLs of the world are rare. The Sam Howells and Hilinskis and Nixs of the NCAA world are not
Don’t waste your time . Irish1485 is not going to acknowledge any facts that prove the opposite of what bs he’s been posting.
Might as well argue with a wall

Don’t waste your time . Irish1485 is not going to acknowledge any facts that prove the opposite of what bs he’s been posting.
Might as well argue with a wall

No your argument just sucked tbh.. You listed 6 freshman QBS, 3 of them redshirted. Which is what I've been saying is ideal lol.

But ok, I ignored your facts.. agree to disagree

IMHO, it is stupid to vote for a Freshman who has not played a single down of college football over any of the current roster. Give him a chance to mature some, both physically and mentally.
Not needed. He is good enough to be #1 right now and from all indications has the maturity and strength to beat out everyone else except Hill who I have not watched play.

Heard on radio today that Wake Forest QB Jamie Newman may be enrolled at UGA as a grad transfer.

Yeah, think I heard Tony Basilio mention his name but I missed the context. Wasn’t sure what school. Interesting.

JG starts game 1(assuming he’s still around), game 2 will see JG, Hill and Maurer get playing time. Game 3 Hill takes over and never looks back. Bailey plays in a few select games and redshirts, Maurer hits the portal and Shrout is just happy getting free Nike gear and having a hot girlfriend.

If JG transfers, Hill starts game 1, Maurer plays some. By game 4 Bailey takes over and the rest is history, Maurer hits the portal and Shrout still has the hot girlfriend.

GBO!!

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
Trask is a solid qb and I didn’t realize that Shane Mathews’ kid is a QB on their roster till yesterday. I don’t know how good he is though. @99gator or @Lawrence Wright could probably tell us. Don’t know who GA really has to replace Fromm.

Matthews' kid is a walk-on. Supposedly a good player in high school, but not the physical tools for the next level.

With regard to QB in general, I like what Florida has. But, for sake of argument, Florida scored 35 points a game in 2018 with Feliepe Franks at QB. So, I trust that Mullen and company will know how to generate offense with the hand they are dealt.

But, again, Trask, Jones and the incoming freshman and I think they are fine at QB.

Reactions: Vol737
I live in GA and just got another text yesterday from a UGA fan that Harrison Bailey is the real deal. He’s watched him through HS tear up his HS team. Everybody talks about him being a Trevor Lawrence type talent.

Reactions: Beagle Bill
While I agree with you Johnny was a redshirt freshman who should have never redshirted.
He needed the redshirt season. He worked with the QB guru and evened out some rough edges. I don’t see the same need for Bailey. He’s been doing 7x7 since 8th grade and what we see with his setup is what he’ll bring to college.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife

VN Store

Back