2020 SEC QBs

tennesseeduke

Let this sink in for a minute. The SEC in 2020 will be QB deprived. JG honestly will be considered top 2 in the league. Bo Nix is the only QB in the league in 2020 that might be ranked ahead of him. Tua and Fromm are off to the NFL.

This will be the 1st time in JG career to have the same OC for a 2nd year. Chaney did wonders for Crompton after he was left for dead. Just saying!

Thoughts VN?

Reactions: Ratvol
Let this sink in for a minute. The SEC in 2020 will be QB deprived. JG honestly will be considered top 2 in the league. Bo Nix is the only QB in the league in 2020 that might be ranked ahead of him. Tua and Fromm are off to the NFL.

This will be the 1st time in JG career to have the same OC for a 2nd year. Chaney did wonders for Crompton after he was left for dead. Just saying!

Thoughts VN?
My thoughts are that he's inconsistent and there will be losses to teams we should beat by double digits if he's the starter for the entire year. He's late with his throws, underthrows the deep ball. I don't care what his completion % is when he throws single digit TD's in a season because he always checks down to the shortest throw.

Bring on Bailey or maybe Mauer or Hill will make a jump over the off-season.

I appreciate JG's toughness and him sticking it out at Tennessee, but I think he has a ceiling and Tennessee's offense has been stuck at that ceiling with him at the helm for the last two years.

I wouldn't expect him to be top two.

Last edited:
Trying to think of a good QB returning: Trask is ok. Mond is ok, AL has Jones or baby Tag, SCAR has so-so Helinski, Kentucky Wilson? Mizzou/Vandy/Ark yuk. Ole Miss and MissSt have two decent QBs each, Plumlee can really run. Bo Nix not so good.

Better have a good run defense next season! lol

Thoughts VN?
Crompton responded year 1 with a very strong season and with less talent at WR. His OL included the Sullins brothers... undersized former walk ons and a 270 lb OT with an addiction to pain killers.

I hoped JG had turned the corner after USCe, UK, and Mizzou. That hope was shaken by Vandy but I was willing to consider the rain and his family loss. IU showed the same JG who was ineffective early in the season. He was late with the ball taking too long to make decisions. Unlike the early part of the season... he was wild with the football too. He's just not the guy. I wish he were. But while you may get a Mizzou or Auburn here or there... you aren't going to get it consistently.

His problems have nothing to do with who the OC is. They have to do with what the announcer of the bowl game talked about. JG doesn't anticipate. He has to "see it" before throwing. By the time he throws, the D has a chance to recover. He just processes too slow. IU doesn't have an SEC caliber D. They have more of a UAB caliber D. But after giving us a little bit of hope... the old JG showed up again.

Trying to think of a good QB returning: Trask is ok. Mond is ok, AL has Jones or baby Tag, SCAR has so-so Helinski, Kentucky Wilson? Mizzou/Vandy/Ark yuk. Ole Miss and MissSt have two decent QBs each, Plumlee can really run. Bo Nix not so good.

I cannot honestly see JG ranked ahead of Trask or Mond and maybe not ahead of several others you mentioned. Him being 2nd in the SEC would only be a function of the SEC being really weak at QB.

Bo Nix will be a really good QB in time, he's a freshman so he had some struggles but I'd definitely take him

Thoughts VN?

I'm not sure where you'd rank everyone, but there is no way you could get me to trade Mac Jones for Guarantano. And that doesn't even assume that Mac Jones is going to win the starting gig next year.

I'm not sure where you'd rank everyone, but there is no way you could get me to trade Mac Jones for Guarantano. And that doesn't even assume that Mac Jones is going to win the starting gig next year.
I think the OP assumes too much concerning UT's starting job. If I'm Pruitt, I have a competition in Spring and whoever out of the other guys comes out on top... becomes the summer project to get ready to start.

Reactions: tbh and savannahfan
I cannot honestly see JG ranked ahead of Trask or Mond and maybe not ahead of several others you mentioned. Him being 2nd in the SEC would only be a function of the SEC being really weak at QB.

Agreed! When the best of that batch includes Jones/baby Tag, Trask, Mond and 4 Mississippi qBs, the list is weak.

Thoughts VN?

lol

I think JG will naturally improve heading into next season as a product of having Chaney (and the same offense) for two years in a row. Unfortunately, I don’t think his Improvement will be very drastic because he has a low ceiling. He will be consistently better than this past year but it won’t be enough to win us the east. Hope I’m wrong!

If Guarantano is the 2nd best qb in the SEC next year that means there’s only 2 QBs in the league....I don’t think that’ll be the case.

He’ll be worse than Trask, Hilinski, whoever Georgia has, Wilson, and whoever Mizz has...I might, might consider that he could conceivably be better than whoever Vandy runs out there....on 2nd thought, no.

In the West, Mack Wilson is better, Bo Nix (although not very good as a freshman) is better, so is Kellen Mond, so is John Rhys Plumlee, so is whoever LSU runs out there. So, he might, might I tell ya, be better than the new MissSt or Arky QBs....scratch that, he won’t be.

Oh yeah, and when Bailey steps foot in the complex Guarantano will be the 4th most talented qb on Tennessee’s roster.

I think JG will naturally improve heading into next season as a product of having Chaney (and the same offense) for two years in a row. Unfortunately, I don’t think his Improvement will be very drastic because he has a low ceiling. He will be consistently better than this past year but it won’t be enough to win us the east. Hope I’m wrong!
He didn’t improve this year. We know what he is, which is not good enough. Started off plain awful, got benched, came back to play well vs SCar, Ky and Missouri, then fell back to being straight trash to close the season vs Vandy and Indiana. It’s blatantly obvious that he’s just not the guy, Chaney and Pruitt need to move on from him.

Thoughts VN?
My thoughts: this is when u start a true freshman QB from day 1 of spring camp. Its the perfect storm

He didn’t improve this year. We know what he is, which is not good enough. Started off plain awful, got benched, came back to play well vs SCar, Ky and Missouri, then fell back to being straight trash to close the season vs Vandy and Indiana. It’s blatantly obvious that he’s just not the guy, Chaney and Pruitt need to move on from him.
You’d think Pruitt and Chaney know they don’t have their guy, with SIX QB’s on the team for spring practice.

JG is not the guy...….I don't see where ever actually won the job but was appointed.......Vols have improved but they still they need some players
clearly QB is the weakest position on team...……….

I hope JG excels and is in the film room daily, I’m hoping having the same OC for consecutive yrs will be beneficial. That being said, I believe we are a good QB from being able to compete with anyone on our 2020 schedule.

Reactions: njvols and cgrish
Everyone understand that I’m not a JG fan. My major point in this thread was the potentially week QB league the SEC will be next year. Does any QB in the SEC scare you?

VN Store

Back