Red zone passing efficiency 115th nationally

Who is Jarrett Guarantano?

Thanks Alex, I'll take padding completetion stats with 3rd and long check downs for $400 please.

Reactions: sjt18
Who is Jarrett Guarantano?

Thanks Alex, I'll take padding completetion stats with 3rd and long check downs for $400 please.
You may not like where he goes with the ball, but he really doesn’t check down more than anybody else. RBs in particular only caught 32 balls total.

If anything, I wish we’d screen more.

You may not like where he goes with the ball, but he really doesn’t check down more than anybody else. RBs in particular only caught 32 balls total.

If anything, I wish we’d screen more.
Not to be confrontational but check downs can go to the TE and a WR as well. So the RB stat doesn't make a point here.
JG will throw to a covered check down on 3rd and long versus taking a shot downfield way too often. That's simply the point. Do you remember him doing it before our 2 scoring possessions against IU? He throws to the check down who is well covered. Not only not enough for a first but he didn't even get past the line of scrimmage. He had a clean pocket and 1 on 1 coverage downfield as this screenshot shows. Just 1 example of the MANY times he did this in 2019. If you want more film to refresh your memory I have no problem getting that to you.
Screenshot_20200108-090811_YouTube.jpg

I understand how check downs work. Just saying that if he was really doing it a lot, the first symptom would be RBs and TEs with a lot of catches, and that didn’t really happen.

Last edited:
I understand how check downs work. Just saying that if he was really doing it a lot, the first symptom would be RBs and TEs with a lot of catches. RBs caught 16%of the balls and TEs 13% and WRs 71%.

Sorry again but you are falsely equating reception totals to opportunities. Not all 3rd and long check downs were completed and reception totals do not show a percentage of 3rd and longs we faced to the amount that were check downs.

Honestly I believe due to past interaction with you that there is no way to get my point across to you without this becoming a pissing match so I'll leave it here.

Go Vols

I thought the RZ play calling was questionable at times this year. I hate seeing a pass on 1st down inside the 5. JG is not a threat to run it in and his decision making was terrible in that area this season. Even if we don’t gain any yards, You have to keep the D honest by running it once. Chaney got a little pass happy given our deficiencies at QB and OL.

Reactions: GAVol
Sorry again but you are falsely equating reception totals to opportunities. Not all 3rd and long check downs were completed and reception totals do not show a percentage of 3rd and longs we faced to the amount that were check downs.

Honestly I believe due to past interaction with you that there is no way to get my point across to you without this becoming a pissing match so I'll leave it here.

Go Vols
Oh... so you’ve been wrong other times too? Lol

Seriously, sorry if I’ve ever gotten your blood pressure up. I really am just talking here. Actually just found another number that really surprised me... but you already seem to think I’m an a-hole so no need to go any further with this lol.

I thought the RZ play calling was questionable at times this year. I hate seeing a pass on 1st down inside the 5. JG is not a threat to run it in and his decision making was terrible in that area this season.Even if we don’t gain any yards, You have to keep the D honest by running it once. Chaney got a little pass happy given our deficiencies at QB and OL.
I can’t like that statement enough times. As offensively challenged as we are, we’ve got to hand it off on 1st or 2nd down on the off chance we gash the defense and get a layup TD.

Limiting the number of attempts would help as well. Passing on 4 straight downs from the 5 yd line or less (First offensive series of Gator Bowl) instead of taking a couple of running attempts doesn't help those percentages.
Maybe not. If the first attempt resulted in a TD-it would help. It is what it is, JG is just not the QB so many want to make him out to be.

Oh... so you’ve been wrong other times too? Lol

Seriously, sorry if I’ve ever gotten your blood pressure up. I really am just talking here. Actually just found another number that really surprised me... but you already seem to think I’m an a-hole so no need to go any further with this lol.
Ok you win I'll bite for fun.
No you do not have an impact on my blood pressure. Stop trying to give yourself any credit on having any effect on my life. You're not that special.
Next, I am wrong a lot! Never claimed to be anything other than a normal guy. Don't recall pretending to always be right. Actually I recall admitting to being wrong several times on here. Not sure why you made this statement other than a poor attempt to say something that might be cool or to instigate something. Whatever it's just dumb.

If you have info that I may have missed that could change my opinion that JG checks down way too often than provide it. Dont be a guy that uses multiple lol's in a post and tosses out a a few irrelevant instigators and just provide the info.

Go Vols

I blame the o-line. JG is an elite passer with elite accuracy stats and soon to be a yet again possible potential candidate for 1 or 2 preseason lists.

Reactions: whodeycin85
Anybody else feel that the Red Zone for TN started once they passed midfield?
If TN couldnt score a long TD, then chances are we werent scoring once we got to the 20.
JG just throws it up and hopes Callaway or Jennings could secure a miracle catch. Its sandlot football inside the 20 this past year.

Anybody else feel that the Red Zone for TN started once they passed midfield?
If TN couldnt score a long TD, then chances are we werent scoring once we got to the 20.
JG just throws it up and hopes Callaway or Jennings could secure a miracle catch. Its sandlot football inside the 20 this past year.
I do wonder how many redzone TD passes came on fades. Not that it doesn’t require a good throw too, but it doesn’t really require a read either.

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
Ok you win I'll bite for fun.
No you do not have an impact on my blood pressure. Stop trying to give yourself any credit on having any effect on my life. You're not that special.
Next, I am wrong a lot! Never claimed to be anything other than a normal guy. Don't recall pretending to always be right. Actually I recall admitting to being wrong several times on here. Not sure why you made this statement other than a poor attempt to say something that might be cool or to instigate something. Whatever it's just dumb.

If you have info that I may have missed that could change my opinion that JG checks down way too often than provide it. Dont be a guy that uses multiple lol's in a post and tosses out a a few irrelevant instigators and just provide the info.

Go Vols
You’re loaded for bear here and I’m seriously not even trying to be a jerk. Either I’m choosing words poorly or you’re misinterpreting. Even the lols are setting you off. Let’s just leave it be.

Reactions: Ty4Vols
I do wonder how many redzone TD passes came on fades. Not that it doesn’t require a good throw too, but it doesn’t really require a read either.
Thats a great question. Better yet. How many TDs were caught in the endzone not ran in..??

Reactions: tnutater

VN Store

Back