Fire Chaney

Fire Chaney? Seriously?

Our biggest problem has been that JG has not had the same OC in 2 consecutive seasons. How is anyone supposed to progress when the system changes every year? Every year you're forced to learn new plays and new terminology. How are you supposed to have an opportunity to get comfortable with anything? Like Chaney or not (and he is well respected by other professionals, which the negative posters are not, despite your extensive high school experience) we need to keep the same OC for 4-5 years and build a consistent structure. I haven't liked all the play calls but then again you call the plays the QB can execute.

Remember UT in the 90's. Stability was the key. Fulmer was Majors' OC for several years, became the head coach and had Cutcliff there to continue with the same system, which by the way was essentially the same one Walt Harris developed in the mid-80's. The QBs knew that system cold. Andy Kelly wasn't the greatest QB but he knew the system and by his senior year was a solid SEC QB, not great but solid.

I feel for JG because of the constant change and we're responsible for that. It's had to inhibit his growth. I believe he doesn't see the play now. You've heard the phrase "throw the receiver open" meaning you see where the hole in the coverage is going to be and throw to that spot before the player gets there. JG clearly waits until he sees the player open and by the time the ball gets there the defense has adjusted and, if they're any good, closed the hole in the coverage. That first deep drive where we turned it over on downs, it was clear the throws were late.

Another problem with constant turnover in your staff is that recruits look for stability. They want to be developed to have a chance at the pros. If you don't think other schools point that out to recruits you've lost your mind. 5 years ago Alabama just picked its recruits. Now I would still swap classes with them, but now people are talking about his staff turnover (you think Dumbo doesn't use having DC Venable's long-term presence as a recruiting tool and you see who is in the championship almost every year now). We need to stabilize our staff not keep turning it over.

I don't think this was Chaney's best game, especially the first half red zone. But a lot of that comes back to the players...they have to execute.

I just wish would have ran it down their throats on that first goal line attempt.

I also thought that we didn't utilize our speed on the edges enough to keep their defense from loading up on the middle of the field.

Reactions: Wireless1
This is a classic example of why you NEVER start or READ threads started during or immediately AFTER a game. No disrespect but some of this stuff is laughable (assuming that was the intent of those "silly" posters).

O great another, X QB is horrible, X Coach is horrible thread. YAY! We are terrible, we don't show improvement, 8-5 is an embarrassment...BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. Same old crap from the same old posters. I was up and down the entire game, ready to kill CJC for the four passes first and goal, yelling at the screen when JG missed a wide open receiver and made the wrong decision. But in the end, they did what they needed to do to win. AS bad as JG looked at times, he looked just as good at others. Just as head scratching as the play calling was at times, the adjustments made on the last two drives were outstanding. The defense was the one completely solid and stable part of the team. We are set there. Even JJ Peterson got in the game at a critical juncture in the game and held his own.

I really think the lack of JJ in the first half caused more dysfunction than I thought it would. I can't wait until spring practice starts now. We will get a good idea of how HB fits into the picture next year. Expect at least two to jump ship from the QB room. I don't know which two, but I will be shocked if at least two don't leave.

Reactions: Wireless1 and WBO
at least two big events happening this fall - Presidential Election, and who will be the start QB for the Vols

This is a classic example of why you NEVER start or READ threads started during or immediately AFTER a game. No disrespect but some of this stuff is laughable (assuming that was the intent of those "silly" posters).
This is the post of the day. Posting drunk during or after a game rarely goes well. Best bet is go to the game and yell the idiotic crap at least it will blend with other drunk fools and it’s likely you’ll sober up before you can post.

Hey no editing my quote. I didn't say our biggest problem is JG. It's our failure to develop his talent. That kid loves the Orange. He's been hammered over and over, doesn't point fingers and doesn't ask for quarter. I would want him in my foxhole.
Only if he is carrying ammo cans. He wouldn't be able to shoot worth a chit.

Reactions: SaintLouisVol
JG's problem is that he tries to hard not to make mistakes and it costs him dearly. He doesn't play relaxed. His throws were high all night because he didn't want to throw an INT. The throws were late because he wanted to make sure it was the right throw. He's thinking too much and not reacting. He'd be a different QB if he could relax and let it flow. But. Instead he puts far too much pressure on himself by overthinking.

Chaney wasn't high, behind and late all season. Not absolutely sure on the first one. Ya never know these days.

Reactions: rkvdg
This guy has not done jack squat with these QBs or this offense. The defense has progressed all year. The offense has stunk it up.
giphy.gif

When pe
This guy has not done jack squat with these QBs or this offense. The defense has progressed all year. The offense has stunk it up.
when people post things like this that are this ignorant, should have their privileges revoked. If you really know this little about football , better to just sit back and let the adults speak etc.

Hey no editing my quote. I didn't say our biggest problem is JG. It's our failure to develop his talent. That kid loves the Orange. He's been hammered over and over, doesn't point fingers and doesn't ask for quarter. I would want him in my foxhole.

JG's shortcomings cannot be "developed." The guy has all the physical talent needed to play a high level, but he just can't slow the game down. It's in his head. I am not saying he is unintelligent, but to my eyes, he just can't process under the stress of game speed. I don't know how you coach that out of him.

VN Store

Back