The Official 2nd Amendment Appreciation Thread

Hey just wandered into Sportsman's Warehouse and saw they had a DDM4 V11 (300 Blk & 556) on sale through Christmas Eve for $1,300. I was looking at the M-Lok (V7) but for a couple hundred I guess a Key mod handguard would work. Any problems you guys see going with Key mod other than it being a less popular option ?

Another question. How does Sales Tax work when you go through an FFL? Do they get you any way or can it be avoided?

Last edited:
Hey just wandered into Sportsman's Warehouse and saw they had a DDM4 V11 (300 Blk & 556) on sale through Christmas Eve for $1,300. I was looking at the M-Lok (V7) but for a couple hundred I guess a Key mod handguard would work. Any problems you guys see going with Key mod other than it being a less popular option ?

Another question. How does Sales Tax work when you go through an FFL? Do they get you any way or can it be avoided?

If it were a good deal, key mode wouldn't stop me.

Reactions: GreyWolf1129

Tax is owed on the sale.

Thanks for the the responses. Here's another question for you. Sounds like it would be nice to have a 300 Blk pistol suppressed. What would be the best way to put together one lower and have an additional 556 rifle upper ? Is this possible legally?

Ah, we’re all just caretakers of these weapons. They’ll long outlive us and go on to the next generation.

Hopefully...

Yep. Speaking of your (my) "Colt affliction", I took a gander at the Colt Defender. I already have a Rock (RIA) compact .45, and it's a good-shooting gun. Big old heavy chunk of metal, but it shoots reliably, and well. But I figured it wouldn't hurt just to look at a Defender...

...until I got down to the sticker price. No thank you, I'll keep my clunky old RIA. It ain't broke, and I can't afford to fix it.

I was fortunate enough to trip over a Springfield Range Officer (.45) a couple of years back for the princely sum of $500 OTD (used, but had less than 100 rounds through it and was in mint condition, including a "branded" wooden presentation box). So that was my "steal of the century", and I should just sit pat and be happy with what I have.

Colt's are nice, but that 230 grain freedom seed really don't care what brand name sent it on its' way.

Y'all be careful out there.

Yep. Speaking of your (my) "Colt affliction", I took a gander at the Colt Defender. I already have a Rock (RIA) compact .45, and it's a good-shooting gun. Big old heavy chunk of metal, but it shoots reliably, and well. But I figured it wouldn't hurt just to look at a Defender...

...until I got down to the sticker price. No thank you, I'll keep my clunky old RIA. It ain't broke, and I can't afford to fix it.

I was fortunate enough to trip over a Springfield Range Officer (.45) a couple of years back for the princely sum of $500 OTD (used, but had less than 100 rounds through it and was in mint condition, including a "branded" wooden presentation box). So that was my "steal of the century", and I should just sit pat and be happy with what I have.

Colt's are nice, but that 230 grain freedom seed really don't care what brand name sent it on its' way.

Y'all be careful out there.
We’re living in good times when it comes to guns. I really like the Springfield 1911’s. They make a champion (commander) model in .38 super I’ve been eyeballing. I’ll pull the trigger one day.

We’re living in good times when it comes to guns. I really like the Springfield 1911’s. They make a champion (commander) model in .38 super I’ve been eyeballing. I’ll pull the trigger one day.

The Springfield RO was a fluke. Here's the story:

Two years ago this Christmas, I had a friend who owned a local pawn shop. He found me a S&W Bodyguard .38 for Upper Management at a price better than I could find. So he orders it; it comes in; and I go to pick it up. While in the store, I see this Springfield RO (.45) in this beautiful wooden display box, and a sticker for $749 (used). I pick it up, heft it, and decide that while it's a good price, I don't have $750 + tax to play with, and I definitely don't need it. But I ask, and the story is that they have a regular customer who's (a) a gun nut, and (b) a surgeon at the local hospital. Apparently, he comes in every 6 months or so; trades in what he just bought; and buys another gun. I just happened to come in after he had bought the RO, plus extra mags, plus the engraved presentation box, shot maybe 100 rounds out of it, didn't like the recoil, and then went Sig 9mm. They said he does this all the time, and they cannot talk any sense into him. His loss, their gain. My luck.

He teases me about the good price, which it is, and I tell him "No, but there's no way this gun is still here through Christmas". With the FFL paperwork done, he's ringing me up on the Smith...pauses...looks at me and says "You've been a good friend for a long time. I've got just under $500 in it in trade. I'll take $500."

I've never won more than $50 on the lottery, scratch-offs and Megas. I lose the VN CFB pick 'em contest by 4 or 5 picks almost every year. I've lost a match play round at my golf club to an 80 year old guy who couldn't hit the ball 200 yards (but Lord, every shot dead-ass straight). My wife can beat me at the poker table (she's actually a bit of a shark).

But that day, I hit a winner. Love that gun.

Personally, I think the Good Lord just threw me a bone for all those years I've tried so hard, and just come up short.

Happy Holidays, DTH. Keep posting those pics. I'll keep you all updated on my "6933 saga".

Two years ago this Christmas, I had a friend who owned a local pawn shop. He found me a S&W Bodyguard .38 for Upper Management at a price better than I could find. So he orders it; it comes in; and I go to pick it up. While in the store, I see this Springfield RO (.45) in this beautiful wooden display box, and a sticker for $749 (used). I pick it up, heft it, and decide that while it's a good price, I don't have $750 + tax to play with, and I definitely don't need it. But I ask, and the story is that they have a regular customer who's (a) a gun nut, and (b) a surgeon at the local hospital. Apparently, he comes in every 6 months or so; trades in what he just bought; and buys another gun. I just happened to come in after he had bought the RO, plus extra mags, plus the engraved presentation box, shot maybe 100 rounds out of it, didn't like the recoil, and then went Sig 9mm. They said he does this all the time, and they cannot talk any sense into him. His loss, their gain. My luck.

He teases me about the good price, which it is, and I tell him "No, but there's no way this gun is still here through Christmas". With the FFL paperwork done, he's ringing me up on the Smith...pauses...looks at me and says "You've been a good friend for a long time. I've got just under $500 in it in trade. I'll take $500."

I've never won more than $50 on the lottery, scratch-offs and Megas. I lose the VN CFB pick 'em contest by 4 or 5 picks almost every year. I've lost a match play round at my golf club to an 80 year old guy who couldn't hit the ball 200 yards (but Lord, every shot dead-ass straight). My wife can beat me at the poker table (she's actually a bit of a shark).

Personally, I think the Good Lord just threw me a bone for all those years I've tried so hard, and just come up short.

Happy Holidays, DTH. Keep posting those pics. I'll keep you all updated on my "6933 saga".
It’s always nice to get a sweet deal. I’ve had a few over the years, but they’re usually few and far between. I hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas too.

Thanks for the the responses. Here's another question for you. Sounds like it would be nice to have a 300 Blk pistol suppressed. What would be the best way to put together one lower and have an additional 556 rifle upper ? Is this possible legally?
I think you're better off just doing the paperwork for a short barrel 300blk or just get a 300blk with a 16" barrel (it would still work well suppressed) and get the extra 556 upper. If you are dead set on the 300 pistol, then I would just build a second lower for the rifle. It's really fairly easy to build a lower and not that expensive if you shop around for parts. I can get Anderson lowers locally for ~65-70 dollars. The biggest expense will be the trigger unless you are happy with the typical crap mil-spec version (I use CMC 3.5lb single stage flat triggers on my rifles).

Reactions: 81Bubbavol

Awesome story! I have a similar... My brother had been at his first LEO job for about a year and a local small gun shop owner approached him about needing someone he could trust for some part time help. I had ordered some small things as I could afford them and knew the owner. He had been there about 6 months and a regular customer comes in with a 700 BDL in 3006 he wanted to trade for something he could "shoot farther at deer". Owner tries to dissuade him but he wants to order this "new" 300 Win Mag all his buddies have and get a better scope( Zeiss IIRC). Owner makes the deal and as my brother is cleaning the gun up he notices a small split in the fore-end walnut where the screw is. Shows it to the owner and owner says call your brother as he wanted a synthetic deer rifle and I'll make him a deal. He calls me and tells me the owner wants to give me a good deal but it has cracked wood and he wants me to look at it. I said just hold it til I can get there. Go to the store about 45 miles away on the next Saturday and talk to the owner and he says in front of my baby brother " he has been such a help to me and such a good person I'm gonna make you an offer you CAN'T refuse and I'll let you pay me when you can if you don't have the money now". At this point I'm like sure:rolleyes:....

He says I'll take $175 out the door with a carry case, the 3X9 40 Leopold, two boxes of Hornady, and sling. He says gun is fine to shoot but it may continue to split but if I buy whatever synthetic stock I want, he will install, bed and boresight it for me no charge. Now I'm wondering if the dang thing is stolen and very gently ask about the history of said firearm. Owner laughs and say this guy buys 6-8 guns a year from him, knows very little, has plenty of money and doesn't care when he wants something he wants it now. He said the gun was purchased NIB 3 years ago and he sold it to him and mounted the owner provided scope. Guy never liked the scope and therefore "gave it" to him with the rifle after they agreed on trade value.
I left with that combo that day about 27 years ago and to this day have shot more deer with that gun than all my others combined and it is still my favorite deer rifle and much lighter (I did take him up on the synthetic) than the suppressed FN.308 I used to hunt with if I'm not walking too far. Which unfortunately I just lost in a terrible fishing accident last week.

Reactions: 3rdDegreeVol
I bought two of those for the boys, They are having a blast shooting at the targets I got them. Using this to teach them gun safety.

Reactions: txbo
I'm not at all a gun enthusiast but I have a 1947 Winchester 12 gauge shotgun with original case that was willed to me. All I know about it is that it has a curly walnut stock and the barrel at the end is slightly enlarged and vented. I think the number of times it's actually been shot is in the single digits. I have no clue how rare or valuable this gun is.

VN Store

Back