Game Thread: #23/24 TENNESSEE VS. #1/1 STANFORD

too early to start even considering such a thing.
CHW IMO ignored everyone but who she could control....Coach K has already shown many traits that CHW didn't possess:
Stronger presence
More confident in pressers
Her Technical foul showed me that she will work the refs
She has met some of the players walking off the floor instead of letting them traipse over to the bench unaccosted
She talks to her staff,,more than that she listens to them

I will hold her to the things I see she needs to work on, such as,
use of timeouts to teach, stop runs instead of just as an "end-game" usage,
proper "working" of the refs, not just yelling at them ...things like that
But to even start talking about replacements will get my dander up, from anyone!

Carla Berube is a very good coach. She could turn the UT program around if Kellie does not. However, her lifestyle, like Courtney Banghart, is highly controversial.

Seriously, this is controversial?

Carla and her wife, Meghan, are the parents of a son, Parker, and daughter, Brogan. They are expecting their third child any day.

Wow.

Seriously, this is controversial?

Carla and her wife, Meghan, are the parents of a son, Parker, and daughter, Brogan. They are expecting their third child any day.

Wow.

There was another poster that only came to VN to stir things up
Freak blocked that poster and I guess he needs to do it again

Nute, I am just as ardent a supporter as I am a a critic and I fully support Coach K
Fully
starting talk about replacing coach k I am NOT behind it and in fact, I am fully in her corner.
please let off of this topic
It is not time for this and Kellie doesn't need to hear rumors starting from VolNation.
I associate myself with this site, and just like on the court ...critiquing, bitching about a loss, second guessing decisions or lack thereof, things like that,,,it is part of this site and not looked down on
starting rumors that will affect this program is for small people to feel big.

If this Dogg is that other dogg, i expect such...but you Nute, have posted well on this forum,,,this would be unexpected

Last edited:
So through the Stanford game here is what the players totals and other stats look like.

Davis is averaging 23.6 points per game per forty minutes played and 12 rebounds per forty minutes
Burrell is at 18 points per 40 minutes and 11.2 rebounds
Horston 14.8 points and 10.4 rebounds
KK 18 points and 13.2 rebounds
Key 18 points and 11.2 rebounds

There actual total minutes played come out to 107 per game so you can see somebody else is playing 93 minutes of the game other than our five most productive players. There 107 total minutes played production is 50.1 points and 31 rebounds. So the Big Five are going for .47 points per minute played and .29 rebounds per minute played.

Massengill 10.8 and 8 rebounds per forty minutes. Her actual is 26.6 minutes which goes for 7..1 points and 5.3 rebounds per game.
Saunders who is only playing 9 minutes per game is at 16.4 per forty and 9.6 rebounds. Saunders actual is 3.8 points and 2.2 rebounds so we need more data on her from more minutes played and even though she has better numbers than three of the other four by a good amount she doesn't see the floor.
Then here we go:

Brown 7.6 points per forty and 10.4 rebounds
Harris 8 points and 5.2 rebounds
McCoy 8.8 points and 9.8 rebounds
Rennie 4.4 points and 2.4 rebounds

These four players are getting 62 minutes per game and their totals are 11 points and 10 rebounds per game. So you can see the huge fall off in production when they are in there in scoring and rebounding. We would be a really solid team is they were doing half of what the big five are doing. These four players are going for .18 points per minute played and .16 rebounds per minute played so you can see what an enormous drop off we face when these players are in the game. They are at about one third of the production per minute as the big five.

Finally the points per attempted shot look like this after ten games:

Saunders 1.64 per shot attempt
Key 1.46
KK 1.37
Davis 1.18
Burrell 1.05
Massengill 1.03
Horston .95
Brown .95
Rennie .95
Harris .85
McCoy .72
Your analysis, Volfan2012, is fantastic, really enjoy your work. Hope Kellie has this type of critique at her fingertips as well.

Todays game could be very close. Were listed as a nine point favorite the Portland State team will bring their play to another level we have to match that and win today.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I like what you said Volfan2012, but Coach Kellie is not going to abandon her susbstitution scheme. She believes this scheme gives her fresh legs for defense and rebounding.
If she thinks she can bring them along to the point that they can be productive for the large amount of minutes they are playing no problem. Right now it is obvious that they are detrimental to the teams success playing the amount of minutes they are being allowed to play. SEC is close to being a reality I haven't seen a lot of improvement out of the subs coming off the bench. We have to play them of course I would be very concerned if they are going to get 60 to 80 minutes per game as a group that could mean a double digit loss season. If that happens I still support Coach Kellie she has a right to recruit some players in here and build her own team before we can really get an idea of where we are with her as the coach.

Any comparison to Duke helps prove the other posterā€™s point. Duke, previously a title game contender, has been in a state of turmoil and mediocrity for years now.
Yes, and I always think about LaTech when I begin to wonder where the LV program is headed. In fact, the whole SEC ought to be concerned about its direction.

Reactions: PG1
stanford always plays one better at home, so im not really surprised at the loss. almost every shot tennessee took was contested and defended well. stanford ran really nice plays to get their 3 point shooters open for easy shots, while tennessee resorted to trying to play one on one and mostly getting stuffed or turning the ball over. i thought stanford did a great job of speeding tennessee up and causing them to play dumb basketball...

btw burrell seems to expend so much energy for very little gain..i hope someone is in her ear to try and get someone control before she injures herself

stanford always plays one better at home, so im not really surprised at the loss. almost every shot tennessee took was contested and defended well. stanford ran really nice plays to get their 3 point shooters open for easy shots, while tennessee resorted to trying to play one on one and mostly getting stuffed or turning the ball over. i thought stanford did a great job of speeding tennessee up and causing them to play dumb basketball...

btw burrell seems to expend so much energy for very little gain..i hope someone is in her ear to try and get someone control before she injures herself

A good opportunity to see if Al is a good get

VN Store

Back