The All-Time All-America team for college football's 150th anniversary

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
First Team:
DE Reggie White, Tennessee (1980-83)
Sacks: 32 | Tackles: 293 | Fumble recoveries: 4
Before White became the "Minister of Defense" and retired as the NFL's all-time sack leader, he was the most menacing pass-rusher in Tennessee history. During White's senior season in 1983, he had 100 tackles, 72 unassisted, and set a UT single-season record with 15 sacks. He had a sack in every game but two and had four in a 45-6 victory over The Citadel, another school record. White was a consensus All-American and was named SEC Player of the Year. "There's never been a better one," former Volunteers coach Johnny Majors said. "He could turn a football game around like no one else."

Second Team:
QB Peyton Manning, Tennessee (1994-97)
Passing yards: 11,201 | Completion pct.: .625 | TDs: 89
The ABCs that endeared Manning to the nation through his 17 seasons in professional football first shone through his four seasons in Knoxville: his affability, his brain for football, and his commitment. He took college football seriously not for the millions it might (and did) afford him professionally, but because he loved it, loved the stories that dad Archie told him about playing at Ole Miss, and loved the stories he created at Tennessee. No, he didn't win a national championship and (because!) he didn't beat Florida. But Bear Bryant never beat Notre Dame, and his career turned out all right, too. Manning won the Maxwell Award, Davey O'Brien Award, Sullivan Award and Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award during his senior season in 1997.

The All-Time All-America team for college football's 150th anniversary

May as well have called it the old guy rankings. Larry Fitzgerald only player in 2000's ranked is pretty laughable. Not sure who I'd plug in, but there's been some pretty compelling players the last two decades.

Glad Peyton got the nod...wonder where Danny wuerffel landed in voting. He was such a nemesis and seemed unconscious in his accuracy. Surprised he never made it in nfl.

He did make it to the NFL ... He quarterbacked the Redskins to a victory over the Colts, which was absolutely painful to get mocked from Gator fans about.

And Wuerffel too.

I hate these lists. What is the criteria? Are they taking in consideration the changing landscape of the game over decades and decades of time? Are they taking into consideration competition? Manning faced incredibly tough competition. I think all-decade teams are usually pretty fair, but all-time this list should just be a bunch of Notre Dame and Big 10 players.

Heck, Alabama has 47 national championships, but they didn't have a Heisman winner until Ingram. Should most, if not all, of their players be excluded?

I'd put Tebow over Manning
193124-1562332636-wide.jpg

I hate these lists. What is the criteria? Are they taking in consideration the changing landscape of the game over decades and decades of time? Are they taking into consideration competition? Manning faced incredibly tough competition. I think all-decade teams are usually pretty fair, but all-time this list should just be a bunch of Notre Dame and Big 10 players.

Heck, Alabama has 47 national championships, but they didn't have a Heisman winner until Ingram. Should most, if not all, of their players be excluded?

If it were me.....

1. I would take when they played into account...so Red Grange and Jim Thorpe aren’t going to be on my list.

2. It’s about only what you did in college. So, there are several guys on that list who were the best of the best when they became professionals, but not at the college level even though they had fine careers in college.

So, as an example, Suh of Nebraska has to make this team as he is the greatest college defensive player I ever saw and it’s not close. The fact that he didn’t do the same thing at the pro level doesn’t matter.

If it were me.....

1. I would take when they played into account...so Red Grange and Jim Thorpe aren’t going to be on my list.

2. It’s about only what you did in college. So, there are several guys on that list who were the best of the best when they became professionals, but not at the college level even though they had fine careers in college.

So, as an example, Suh of Nebraska has to make this team as he is the greatest college defensive player I ever saw and it’s not close. The fact that he didn’t do the same thing at the pro level doesn’t matter.

He was nasty. I was alive for white, but Suh legit took over games. The next closet is Clooney for me. (Whenever he actually wanted to try and play)

I get what youre saying but it is just natural to make these lists. What else you gonna do this time of year?

And, 100 people can make a list and not 1 will be the same.

Several overrated here as usual:

Roger Staubach, Mike Ditka, Charles Woodson, etc.

Bunch of Pitt, Notre Dame, Ohio St guys who were good, but best of all time?

Tim Brown won a Heisman and I get all that, but he wasn’t even the best kick returner to play at Notre Dame under Lou Holtz, let alone the second greatest kick returner of all time

Never mind: says “all purpose”

Peyton Manning beats out about 40 Heisman trophy winners and didn't win one himself, LOL.

It's easy to forget how impressive Peyton's numbers were for a guy in a pro-style offense in the mid-90's, and he won a lot of games.

VN Store

Back