2020 qb comparison/talk/debate (merged)

Brees had to play 19 seasons to break the records Peyton set in 17 seasons. Brady needed 20 seasons. Peyton changed the QB position. Without Peyton, there is no Brees or Brady. Peyton is still the GOAT! All hail Peyton! Long live The King!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program. Go Vols!
Dnt forget Peyton missed an entire year also.

Love Peyton, but Montana and Bradshaw never lost a Super Bowl.

I do know that neither are as good as Peyton, but for 1 game........I really might take them

Imo all those qb were great. But a qb play is not all on how good the qb is. The ol they play behind, the receivers they have. There have been a lot of good qb that are rarely mentioned because they played on bad teams. Archie Manning was very good but played on bad teams. I couldn't say one of those mentioned above that one is better than the other they were all very good. The era of football as well as the teams they played on and the offensive scheme used by coaches makes a lot of difference. I wonder how tua would have done if he had played for les miles at lsu?? Or Connor under les miles offense.

Here is my concern with out currrent QB. Our offensive gameplan seems to be 4 yards and a cloud of dust, then Play action, which is supposed to be a deep pass but end up being a jump ball. Eventually we will lose those jump balls. When he doesnt throw the jump back its a check down, or behind our WR and killing thier momentum.

So if I'm a DC I double our outside WR and trust that JG can make a tight throw in the the middle zone...

Reactions: krichunaka
Because Maurer has a much higher ceiling, and not played enough to really see how good he could be. jg just too inconsistant and we do not put up enough points with jg. Give Maurer a real chance.
I gotta give Pruitt his due though. The way he handled the qbs this year was genius (in terms of keeping what he expected) and definitely gave HB the impression that we need qb help much more than we did. Jg now knows he’s #1 by choice By not allowing Maurer to run away with it. So he’ll be back. It also solidified HB for 2020. Now they got Holiday as well. I’ve been listening to his evaluations because I don’t know much about him and from what I’ve learned he’s a 4* quality db or wr but a 3* qb which he made clear he wanted to play in college. I’m not sure how well he’ll be able to compete with pure qbs such as JG, BM, HB so I wouldn’t be surprised to see a position change for him after the spring. The downfall to it all is, we’ve seen how it made us feel with the way it was handled, it would only make sense to have made BM and JTS feel much worse when the criticism was on them.

Brees had to play 19 seasons to break the records Peyton set in 17 seasons. Brady needed 20 seasons. Peyton changed the QB position. Without Peyton, there is no Brees or Brady. Peyton is still the GOAT! All hail Peyton! Long live The King!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program. Go Vols!
I disagree with this statement "Without Peyton, there is no Brees or Brady" What makes you think that? What does Peyton have to do with their success? I think Peyton is better at reading the defense but Brees definitely has the stronger arm. Brady just wins, that's what he does.

Here is my concern with out currrent QB. Our offensive gameplan seems to be 4 yards and a cloud of dust, then Play action, which is supposed to be a deep pass but end up being a jump ball. Eventually we will lose those jump balls. When he doesnt throw the jump back its a check down, or behind our WR and killing thier momentum.

So if I'm a DC I double our outside WR and trust that JG can make a tight throw in the the middle zone...
That’s where people are not giving Maurer the credit he deserves for the turn around. Maurer was throwing passes downfield and having success from the moment he was brought in. That never changed for the few weeks he was starting. On third downs he was throwing beyond the sticks. He was also keeping us ahead of the chains on 1st and 2nd downs with his legs. Long story short Maurer was doing all the things JG was being criticized for and watching him do it changed JGs approach when he got back in. That all being said..... I’ve been told I don’t know chit about football too. So what do I know?

I feel I speak for everyone involved when I apologize for clogging up threads with this ongoing qb debate with a few of us (you know who you are) that can’t seem to let comments go (myself included). So I’m creating this thread for qb talk ONLY in an effort to eliminate the problem.

This thread is here to debate ANYTHING between ANY qb but mostly our own.

JG vs JTS vs BM vs HB.........this is a better place for that so...... go.
Why is this a better place? HB for Heisman /thread

Why is this a better place? HB for Heisman /thread
There are a few that like to attack myself and a couple others on anything qb related. Needless to say it’s clogged up a lot of different threads that were not intended for what we would morph it into. So I created this one as a “go to” so not everyone has to read our debates unless they choose to.

Heath Shuler was the better college QB than Peyton was imho
In retrospect, Heath should have stayed another year. He really wanted to be drafted by the Redskins. IIRC, he grew up a fan. I think that factored into his decision to leave early.

He was a QB born out of season. If he were playing now... his skills would line up with what most programs want. The NFL has also improved in management of guys who aren't "Peyton smart" also.

He was more physically talented. Heath ran a legit 4.5 in a time when most programs didn't care. Most who lived through that time in the media or coaches will tell you Heath had one of the strongest and most accurate arms UT has ever seen. If he hadn't had a great arm, he would have played safety and probably been drafted.... 6'3", 225, 4.5 and I believe a NC state champ in the 110 m hurdles.

Manning had plenty of physical talent but what he had above the neck set him apart.

He was more physically talented. Heath ran a legit 4.5 in a time when most programs didn't care. Most who lived through that time in the media or coaches will tell you Heath had one of the strongest and most accurate arms UT has ever seen. If he hadn't had a great arm, he would have played safety and probably been drafted.... 6'3", 225, 4.5 and I believe a NC state champ in the 110 m hurdles.

Manning had plenty of physical talent but what he had above the neck set him apart.
Agree with that but Manning’s intelligence was far greater. Shuler should’ve stayed one more year. Manning had more rushing TDs than Shuler did although shuler was clearly a better runner.

But when you look at it all Manning was clearly the best QB. Wins. Stats. All of it

Agree with that but Manning’s intelligence was far greater. Shuler should’ve stayed one more year. Manning had more rushing TDs than Shuler did although shuler was clearly a better runner.

But when you look at it all Manning was clearly the best QB. Wins. Stats. All of it
Both great. Peyton gets the edge because of intelligence. Plus Heath was a two year starter. PM had 4... or 3 1/2.

Both great. Peyton gets the edge because of intelligence. Plus Heath was a two year starter. PM had 4... or 3 1/2.
Is it just me or does anyone remember (back when Manning was playing with the Colts) an interview or something where it was revealed that Manning thought his o line a foreign language to communicate at the LOS? I could be misremembering

That’s where people are not giving Maurer the credit he deserves for the turn around. Maurer was throwing passes downfield and having success from the moment he was brought in. That never changed for the few weeks he was starting. On third downs he was throwing beyond the sticks. He was also keeping us ahead of the chains on 1st and 2nd downs with his legs. Long story short Maurer was doing all the things JG was being criticized for and watching him do it changed JGs approach when he got back in. That all being said..... I’ve been told I don’t know chit about football too. So what do I know?

It was a night and day difference...i think CJP and Chaney sat JG down and said if i tell to throw it up thats what is what u do or you sit
..of course im not an jnsider or anything. But something caused JG to stop checking down...and started throwing jump balls...

Reactions: Big Al Orange
It was a night and day difference...i think CJP and Chaney sat JG down and said if i tell to throw it up thats what is what u do or you sit
..of course im not an jnsider or anything. But something caused JG to stop checking down...and started throwing jump balls...
I’m 100% convinced it was Maurers success. JG could see it slipping away from the sidelines and Maurers injury is the only reason JP was able to keep that door cracked open for him.

VN Store

Back