Weak Leadership = Weak Team

CRB mentioned this 2-3 wks ago...apparently he is having issues with the shoulder he had surgery on. It apparently has not been right all season and what is weird to me is that I see Turner playing hard (e.g., getting fouled, diving loose balls, etc...) but I never see him grimace or act like his shoulder is hurting - maybe it is a mobility and/or strength issue?
Barnes said in his presser that with some new things the trainers are doing with him, he's (Barnes) expecting the shoulder to improve. That may just be Barnes 'Wishin on a Star' but we can only hope he's right.

With no bad losses. Games that could have gone either way against #11 and #19 in the AP Top 25.

Not bad losses based on tourney resume, no.
FSU I’ll definitely agree. That was a bad matchup for us and neutral court that wasn’t really neutral haha. Memphis without #1 player, at home and I’m pretty sure we were favored to win.... and I think “bad loss” can also just mean an ugly loss. Saturday was uuuuugly.

Not bad losses based on tourney resume, no.
FSU I’ll definitely agree. That was a bad matchup for us and neutral court that wasn’t really neutral haha. Memphis without #1 player, at home and I’m pretty sure we were favored to win.... and I think “bad loss” can also just mean an ugly loss. Saturday was uuuuugly.
You guys don't give up.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I don't care if you were a Memphis fan or UT fan.............it was an ugly game....

Both teams should have lost and would have lost if the other team was HALF decent.............it was AWFUL.

Blame?------erybody

Reactions: StuckinBama
On very good college teams, Turner and especially Bowden are better suited to be complimentary pieces. The recruiting misses from the 17 and 18 classes were on display today.

Not taking quez Glover and thinking turner could replace Jordan bone,running this offense was on bigger display.we have no ball handler or flow on offense,very stagnant.

Not taking quez Glover and thinking turner could replace Jordan bone,running this offense was on bigger display.we have no ball handler or flow on offense,very stagnant.

I don't think flow of offense is critical when you don't have a player that can hit a 10 ' jump shot. Pons nor Bowden could hit jumpers.
With Turner's shoulder the way it is, he has no business shooting as much as he does. If his shoulder doesn't improve, gonna be a long season. IMO we would be better off letting Bowden and JJJ handle pg.

IMO Barnes recruited this year for next year. Sure, he could have found a lower ranked PG to fill a role this year (Glover for example), but it might be a waste of a scholarship for the next 3 years. Plus it could be be bad juju to the chemistry if whichever PG added wasn't a good dude.

I think that this year was somewhat sacrificed as far as being great. The main objective is to get to the NCAAT if possible while developing 4 (now 5) freshmen and some leaders (Fulk and Pons). Johnson and Kent both had opportunities to step up as well. It's a transition year with low expectations after putting 4 starters into the NBA.

Not a problem w leadership. Has noting to do w leadership. It’s a matter of skill. Turner is better off ball. It is what it is

This x100

The only problem, Tennessee “has” to have him at point.

Now if we could just get the other guys shooting the ball more. Pons shooting over 50%, Fulk shooting over 50%, Olivier shooting right at 50%.........when Turner and Bowden are in a funk.....these guys have to shoot it more. Also James certainly has to start shooting the ball.

Also I know %’s will always be different based on “where” players shoot the ball......but they have to shoot it more when Tennessee is in need.....,,and those %’s should remain fairly consistent anyway (as far as Fulk and Olivier are concerned).

This x100

The only problem, Tennessee “has” to have him at point.

Now if we could just get the other guys shooting the ball more. Pons shooting over 50%, Fulk shooting over 50%, Olivier shooting right at 50%.........when Turner and Bowden are in a funk.....these guys have to shoot it more. Also James certainly has to start shooting the ball.

Also I know %’s will always be different based on “where” players shoot the ball......but they have to shoot it more when Tennessee is in need.....,,and those %’s should remain fairly consistent anyway (as far as Fulk and Olivier are concerned).
Turner and Bowden have been, and will be, complimentary players. Neither will see the NBA, and each have been disappointing the first third of the season.

Turner and Bowden have been, and will be, complimentary players. Neither will see the NBA, and each have been disappointing the first third of the season.

Not sure anyone thought they would be lighting up the NBA next year; however if you think Bowden’s 13 points, 4 and a half rebounds, while shooting 41%.......combined with his D, is “disappointing”.........then I’m not sure you will be impressed by any Vol this season.

Surely Bowden can do better than he has in a few games......like he was better in the Murray State, the VCU and the Washington games.......but I wouldn’t call his performance so far this season as .........disappointing.

Turner, certainly needs to get his shot going; however is is REALLY good on D, he knows how to get fouled, he can and does lead the team..........and has Tennessee in a pretty good spot right now all things considered.......where did you think Tennessee would be right now, say 3 months ago? They have lost 2 games vs ranked teams by a total of 7 points........while also beating 2 ranked teams.

Not sure anyone thought they would be lighting up the NBA next year; however if you think Bowden’s 13 points, 4 and a half rebounds, while shooting 41%.......combined with his D, is “disappointing”.........then I’m not sure you will be impressed by any Vol this season.

Surely Bowden can do better than he has in a few games......like he was better in the Murray State, the VCU and the Washington games.......but I wouldn’t call his performance so far this season as .........disappointing.

Turner, certainly needs to get his shot going; however is is REALLY good on D, he knows how to get fouled, he can and does lead the team..........and has Tennessee in a pretty good spot right now all things considered.......where did you think Tennessee would be right now, say 3 months ago? They have lost 2 games vs ranked teams by a total of 7 points........while also beating 2 ranked teams.
I think the majority of the fan base disagrees with you, as does Bowden with some of his recent tweets. Where do you think we would have been last year had Schofield and Williams played statistically to the same level as Turner and Bowden?

I think the majority of the fan base disagrees with you, as does Bowden with some of his recent tweets. Where do you think we would have been last year had Schofield and Williams played statistically to the same level as Turner and Bowden?

Well if ANYONE wants to believe or thinks Bowden or Turner would be / could be a Williams or a Schofield.........they are sadly mistaken. Both of those guys are legit all time greats at Tennessee.

As far as Bowden goes if you increase your points per, your rebounds, your assists, your free throw %, and your 3 pt %, while decreasing your FG % by 2........I hardly think you can call that disappointing.

Sure you may have wanted him to score 17 points per.......maybe he thought he could......but “disappointing”........come on.

I’m sure he is disappointed, because of how a couple of the games have gone......and just a few points in either could have changed the game. However he’s got nothing to be ashamed of. Not when he is good on D and one of the best and most efficient on O.

Well if ANYONE wants to believe or thinks Bowden or Turner would be / could be a Williams or a Schofield.........they are sadly mistaken. Both of those guys are legit all time greats at Tennessee.

As far as Bowden goes if you increase your points per, your rebounds, your assists, your free throw %, and your 3 pt %, while decreasing your FG % by 2........I hardly think you can call that disappointing.

Sure you may have wanted him to score 17 points per.......maybe he thought he could......but “disappointing”........come on.

I’m sure he is disappointed, because of how a couple of the games have gone......and just a few points in either could have changed the game. However he’s got nothing to be ashamed of. Not when he is good on D and one of the best and most efficient on O.
I didn't say he was Williams or Schofield. I referenced that as an example of what we need from senior players. Bowden has tanked the last 5 games or so. Turner has shot poorly and committed way too many turnovers. That is disappointing, as he alluded to himself. Again, I don't see many who look at our seniors' play as good. Your opinion is your opinion, as is mine.

I didn't say he was Williams or Schofield. I referenced that as an example of what we need from senior players. Bowden has tanked the last 5 games or so. Turner has shot poorly and committed way too many turnovers. That is disappointing, as he alluded to himself. Again, I don't see many who look at our seniors' play as good. Your opinion is your opinion, as is mine.

We may want those number from seniors.......but again those players and those numbers don’t come around every year.

Also you probably mean Bowden has tanked it up the past 2 games......not 5.

But hey I agree they both could be better and hopefully they will get better.

Just saying Bowden could be better, but it’s a far cry from disappointing.

We may want those number from seniors.......but again those players and those numbers don’t come around every year.

Also you probably mean Bowden has tanked it up the past 2 games......not 5.

But hey I agree they both could be better and hopefully they will get better.

Just saying Bowden could be better, but it’s a far cry from disappointing.
The last 5 games: 16-48 FG% 33%
5-23 3-pt % 21.7%

The last 5 games: 16-48 FG% 33%
5-23 3-pt % 21.7%

The 3 other games (minus the 2 I agree he didn’t preform very well at all in)

13 points, 12 rebounds, 2 blocks, 3 assists, no turnovers, shooting 40%

11 points, 5 rebounds, 1 steal, 2 turnovers, shooting 30%

14 points, 6 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 turnovers, shooting 67%

Doesn’t seem like he is lighting the world on fire........but probably a far cry from “tanking it up.”

VN Store

Back