Weak Leadership = Weak Team

I didn't expect the world from this team this season anyways but we'll be much better next season so this one will grow into its new role slowly it appears...They need to find that magic...It's not like they are playing horrible but at times very bad...We got some good help on the way so I'm being patient and hoping this team does some good things this year and makes the NCAA's....P.S. Penny sucks

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Saying Turner shrinks in big moments is laughable.

He is out there playing with what seems to be a very apparent and severe shoulder injury because we need him. And he has still been a solid player for us this year despite some struggles. He has a big heart.

I’m sorry, but watching this Turner / Bowden led team and I’ve come to realize these are just not natural leaders. Fine roll players, but they frequently shrink from the moment.

That was one of the worst offensive performances I’ve ever seen from a D-I basketball team. It’s going to be a really frustrating season unless James takes over and fills the void.

They’re just not good players period. It’s not even leadership. The best scenario would be for both to be coming off the bench. I’m sure they’d each have moments where they’d get hot and help us win a game here and there. But neither are very good honestly. Going into season it kinda made me cringe when I though about them being feature players. I was optimistic that maybe Barnes could implement gameplans that would play to their strengths. But what can he do when they both go 1-10 or 2-9 or whatever they both were today. It’s just going to be a really tough season. If we could find a way to go .500 in conference play we’d have to be happy for that knowing help is on the way. But this team is bad. I’ve watched 3 games now and I don’t think I can stomach another one.

Pathetic,,,,trash.... some of you guys need to stop before you get started. Bunch of nonsense. Some of you need to refer to postings prior to the start of the season. You should be thankful we have outperformed so far. Try enjoying the players development as the season goes along. I mean look at JJJ game today. Kid just going to get more confidence as we go along and so is Gaines...so take a breather on the garbage and trash and try looking on the positive potential Barnes will bring out of these players. Try to enjoy the game of basketball
I tell you what, I think Gaines has massive upside. There’s something there that I really like. I bet before he leaves he will be an All SEC player at least once.

Saying Turner shrinks in big moments is laughable.

He is out there playing with what seems to be a very apparent and severe shoulder injury because we need him. And he has still been a solid player for us this year despite some struggles. He has a big heart.
He needs to stop shooting then.

Fair enough, but James is a freshman. Folkerson is an upperclassmen, but weak. Can’t finish around the rim and loses so many 50/50 ball because of it.
**Fulkerson

I couldn't resist. Man, you're on a roll tonight. Losing is no good for your spellin' skills, is it?

Reactions: CA_Vol
Fair enough, but James is a freshman. Folkerson is an upperclassmen, but weak. Can’t finish around the rim and loses so many 50/50 ball because of it.

Turner is a leader. His shot is just way off. If he was even halfway on during the game, we win. Fix Turner and the season will be entertaining. The other scenario is not very pretty.

Just not sold on Turner or Bowden for that matter. Turner is often injured and streaky. Early returns this season don't give me any reason to think things will be any different this year.

I'm looking forward to getting Vescovi up to speed at the point and watching JJJ, Nkamhoua and Gaines develop. Turner and Bowden will have their ups and downs like always, but I don't see them morphing into center pieces the way Grant and Admiral did. If this team manages to win 20, it will be a helluva season/accomplishment.

Reactions: 1985Vols and CA_Vol
I’m sorry, but watching this Turner / Bowden led team and I’ve come to realize these are just not natural leaders. Fine roll players, but they frequently shrink from the moment.

Any one that claims they have watched the career of Lamonte Turner and post this is a DAMN FOOL, has a serious case of amnesia or just hasn’t watched any of our games Over the past few years

Either way this OP is one of the dumbest more absurd post I’ve ever read here

Any one that claims they have watched the career of Lamonte Turner and post this is a DAMN FOOL, has a serious case of amnesia or just hasn’t watched any of our games Over the past few years

Either way this OP is one of the dumbest more absurd post I’ve ever read here
You make a compelling argument with many details to support your position. Well done.

You make a compelling argument with many details to support your position. Well done.

Lol

Here is your compelling details

Go watch a few Vol/cat games and tell me how Mr. clutch I mean Mr. turner always shrinks away from the moment.

When you are done with that go watch the Vcu game just this year.

And when you are done with that just decide to not come back here and post anymore ridiculously ignorant post about our players

Turner and Bowden were open a lot last year because the other team often had to try to come down and double the inside players. That's not the case this year. It has nothing to do with leadership. They just don't have the 5* talent to create their own shots. Even so, there won't be many nights when they shoot that poorly this year.

Reactions: DowntownVol
JMO I think we need to sit turner and let that shoulder heel much like last year.

We might lose at cincy or at home against wisky without him but he clearly needs to get that shoulder well

JMO I think we need to sit turner and let that shoulder heel much like last year.

We might lose at cincy or at home against wisky without him but he clearly needs to get that shoulder well
Don’t think a few games or even weeks are gonna do it. If it was gonna heal it would have already. Imo

Think our best hope is his adjustment to the pain improves, but that shoulder probably needs another surgery and months to completely heal.

Lol

Here is your compelling details

Go watch a few Vol/cat games and tell me how Mr. clutch I mean Mr. turner always shrinks away from the moment.

When you are done with that go watch the Vcu game just this year.

And when you are done with that just decide to not come back here and post anymore ridiculously ignorant post about our players
It’s obvious Turner is injured. Definitely not the same player. Bowden has no excuse other than he is the most hot and cold player in UT BB history.

Turner and Bowden were open a lot last year because the other team often had to try to come down and double the inside players. That's not the case this year. It has nothing to do with leadership. They just don't have the 5* talent to create their own shots. Even so, there won't be many nights when they shoot that poorly this year.
Agree, Turner and Bowden are good “ complimentary “ players but nether is good enough to lead a team. They had open looks last year because of a great pg( Bone) and teams respecting Williams and Schofield

Reactions: Vols All Day
Don’t think a few games or even weeks are gonna do it. If it was gonna heal it would have already. Imo

Think our best hope is his adjustment to the pain improves, but that shoulder probably needs another surgery and months to completely heal.

Very possible

Im curious to what “leading this team”
Means?

Does it mean leading this team to a Natty?

I agree turner and Bowden can’t do it

Does it mean leading this team to an SEC title ?

I agree I don’t think that’s likely either

Can they lead this team to the tourney and maybe win a few games there with the right draw ?

You gosh damn wrong if you think they can’t do that. And if they do that with all
The other things those two guys have done In their careers they should go down as some darn good VFLs that should never be disrespected with dumbass threads like this

Reactions: Vol49er
Wow one bad shooting game and everyone forgets how they they can light it up. Their shooting body position was off early in the game for some reason. Alot of new guys playing an a completely different type of team. They need some time to gel together and figure it out. This team is better than I thought they would be.

Reactions: Tstormtrooper
Wow one bad shooting game and everyone forgets how they they can light it up. Their shooting body position was off early in the game for some reason. Alot of new guys playing an a completely different type of team. They need some time to gel together and figure it out. This team is better than I thought they would be.

This team is WAY better defensively than I thought they’d be and way better than last year I think.

The issue i see is This isn’t just one bad shooting game for Turner. The sample size is large enough now to think he’s really hurt. He needs to sit it scale back on the attempts

VN Store

Back