Kirby = Richt 2.0?

WhatInVolnation

This has been discussed some but it’s inexcusable that Kirby’s UGA squad got beat by a poor USCe team at home and is getting thrashed by LSU and I love it. His recruiting has been top notch, maybe even better than Richt’s, and so there’s simply no reason this should happen. Let’s hope that Kirby was pulls a Richt and has UGA at a routine 11-2 to 9-3 type seasons and makes it a decade plus without a title.

As long as he keeps winning the east, he will keep getting top recruits and high rankings..... The down side with that is if he has 2-3 seasons of not winning the East, the temperature will get hot

Reactions: Jdw2920
This has been discussed some but it’s inexcusable that Kirby’s UGA squad got beat by a poor USCe team at home and is getting thrashed by LSU and I love it. His recruiting has been top notch, maybe even better than Richt’s, and so there’s simply no reason this should happen. Let’s hope that Kirby was pulls a Richt and has UGA at a routine 11-2 to 9-3 type seasons and makes it a decade plus without a title.

It’s pretty clear he is just out-talenting the SEC east. Dude can’t coach a game to save his life.

Yeah he is at a nearly identical record as Richt at this time of his career. Richt was never going to win anything after missing his chance against Bama (when they beat ND), but to assume a brand new HC wad5 going to take them to the promise land... Kirby also has the benefit of the CFB. We'll see how that plays out for him.

Attachments

• Polish_20191207_163153251.jpg
    Polish_20191207_163153251.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: joevol33
There’s now enough evidence to suggest that Smart, indeed, does less with more.
I know it's funny when I mentioned that a few seasons ago, you told me to get ready for Georgia to win multiple championships, if you remember, mainly because of his fantastic recruiting classes and I told you we will see now I believe we're seeing

He’s not Mark Richt. MR started winning big when the Vols and the Gators were powerhouses. Kirby started winning when they were down and the East sucked.

Not really. He started "winning big" in 2002, which is the year after we were last relevant in the NC picture and 2002 was considered the first big disappointing year, and UF had hired Ron Zook. His next championship was 2005, the year we went 5-6 and lost to Vandy for the first time in 23 years, and it was the first year of Urban Meyer. After that he didn't win another SEC Championship and he got his well earned reputation.

Kirby came in at a convenient time too he got a talented team from Richt and Florida was running out Mcelwain and Butch was driving us into the ditch. Florida and Tennessee are coming back up now and it may get a little tougher for Kirby going forward. Kirby while a very good recruiter is a pretty lousy big game coach.

I know it's funny when I mentioned that a few seasons ago, you told me to get ready for Georgia to win multiple championships, if you remember, mainly because of his fantastic recruiting classes and I told you we will see now I believe we're seeing

You or I could win with all of that talent. It’s just a total mismanagement on his behalf. I was wrong and don’t mind admitting it especially living in Dawg country.

Reactions: GrizzlyVol
Kirby came in at a convenient time too he got a talented team from Richt and Florida was running out Mcelwain and Butch was driving us into the ditch. Florida and Tennessee are coming back up now and it may get a little tougher for Kirby going forward. Kirby while a very good recruiter is a pretty lousy big game coach.
Probably Georgia’s best defense and when they finally faced a real offense it couldn’t get the job done. Georgia is loaded with talent so they will have a potentially elite defense if he keeps recruiting well each year but LSU is tough to stop. We can build an elite defense and have a great offensive coach in Chaney

Not really. He started "winning big" in 2002, which is the year after we were last relevant in the NC picture and 2002 was considered the first big disappointing year, and UF had hired Ron Zook. His next championship was 2005, the year we went 5-6 and lost to Vandy for the first time in 23 years, and it was the first year of Urban Meyer. After that he didn't win another SEC Championship and he got his well earned reputation.

Don't know his record vs. Tennessee, but he was 5-10 vs. Florida. So, whether Florida was down or not, he struggled against the Gators.

Personally, I think he's better than Richt and his teams are better than Richt's teams. I never thought Georgia was a hurdle Florida had to overcome while he was there. Georgia is definitely a problem right now.

The east was so much tougher when mr was starting out it’s not even funny. Throw Lou Holtz and Steve Spurrier in the mix as well. And yes we were declining but we were a powerhouse program. Richt beat us in 2001.

That was an ugly game. You could tell after 5 minutes Georgia had little chance.
I’m sure Kirby wishes he would have done whatever it took to keep Chaney. Their O was pitiful.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Very true

VN Store

Back