Pruitts hire compared to other 4 BIG names two years ago............

I like where Pruitt is heading with our program. He is a no nonsense Football Coach who develops players. He has made mistakes never being a head coach before at any level of football and will make more. Patience is a virtue. I never did understand though those in media who was comparing 2nd year head coaches when most have been head coaches already. So a true comparison is to Moorehead Christobol. Maybe looking back at Stoops run at Ky. Never being a head coach before at any time and Now you are head of SEC program and not just any Program but the second most storied program in SEC history. Pruitt will continue to get better and better. Patience is a virtue.

My post was not regarding LSU or GA, I was asking about Tennessee, as that was the topic. Do you think we would whip Baylor and Oklahoma if we were to play them in a bowl this season? For the record, I do not.
I don't think we would whip either of them but I think we would be competitive. Big 12 = no defense. We play defense, that would be a favorable match up for us.

I think a .500 record, especially in the SEC, is very good. This shows significant improvement, and IF we continue to progress, an 8-4 or 9-3 record next season would prove that Pruitt is a solid choice for UT.

I think next year will be the year we will be able to determine if Pruitt was the right choice. Absolutely should not lose like we did to GS this year.

My prediction is we tear OU a new one next year. They will be totally unprepared for what the Vols dish out IMO.

Two ifs on that:

The team doesn't regress from loss of seniors who straightened some things out over this season.

Somebody ... anybody plays consistently at QB ... at least consistently average or better. This thing about wondering if a QB is going to show up for the game is nuts. Most have off days, but this has been as bad or worse than the musical chair situation during Doug Dickey's first season.

Jimbo and Mullen were known commodities. We would’ve (and should’ve) taken either before CJP. But that didn’t happened so Pruitt appears to be top of the list after them.

Moorehead and Pruitt are the two without college experience so they would have been rightly been on the bottom of the list starting out. Given the difference in the amount of rebuilding any of the programs needed, it would be a better measure to see where they all are in four years. I wouldn't count out Taggart, either. If he goes back to USF, he will probably have them back to double digit wins.

Mullen went to Florida on Nov 25th before the Schiano fiasco. 13 days after Butch was fired. And 1 day after he agreed to meet with Currie. Move more quickly, and Mullen may have been on The Hill Nov 25th. We at least had a chance at that guy.
If Kelly or Frost had said yes...but he was waiting.

Well in our defense, everybody hated Spurrier at the time, Meyer is evil, you guys eventually agreed with us on Muschamp, and that sure looked like McElwain on the back of that shark!

You could probably say it's fair to judge a team by the company (coaches, in this case) they keep. In which case as you pointed out it would be completely rational to hate FL based on their coaching choices alone ... especially Spurrier and Meyer and don't forget the turncoat Zook or that FL stole Dickey when he was getting really good.

I've always thought the hate for Spurrier was silly and exaggerated. He made a few wise cracks here and there. No big deal, imo.

Reactions: vols4evah
If Kelly or Frost had said yes...but he was waiting.

I think Mullen would have accepted a Good offer from Tennessee, because he was obviously not at the top of Florida's list, and those other guys could have said yes. There were just a few days of opportunity for Tennessee to act decisively, but the AD didn't. Some idiots were pushing Schiano.

Last edited:
Funny how spending the money for proven head coaches tend to lead to better records.

True but....
Chip-Kelly.jpg

Reactions: AM64
It’s because you (and many here) hate Florida. I get it. You’re convinced he’s got some sort of “weird issues” while you see nothing wrong with your own coach with his own set of weirdness, temper, personality, grammar, etc. You hated Spurrier, Meyer and Muschamp too, and thought McElwain humped sharks.

Mullen has taken a team with a very average to below average offensive line, a QB who hasn’t played a down of football since Junior High and a defense decimated with injuries, and straight-up coached that team to a 10-2 record. What is he going to do when he’s got a great o-line, a great dual-threat QB and a fortunate year from an injury standpoint? I think he’s going to win a national title at Florida.

Some here can put rival hate aside and understand he’s done one helluva job, others can’t and call it “luck” or “smoke and mirrors.” Those folks are in denial.

No it's not. I hate Florida = true. Mullen was a weird bird at MSU before he lowered his standards and came to Gainesville. Weird then. Weird now. Glad we have Pruitt. ... for now.

I think Mullen would have accepted a Good offer from Tennessee, because he was obviously not at the top of Florida's list, and those other guys could have said yes. There were just a few days of opportunity for Tennessee to act decisively, but the AD didn't. Some idiots were pushing Schiano.
He was 3rd choice for them and they had a huge head start...didn’t matter. He was always waiting for them as long as there was a possibility. It’s ok to know that AND blast our decision makers.

He was 3rd choice for them and they had a huge head start...didn’t matter. He was always waiting for them as long as there was a possibility. It’s ok to know that AND blast our decision makers.

I think he wanted a good UT offer and was inclined to accept. There were several days when Mullen's name was barely mentioned in the Florida search, while the other two were hotly hyped into a near frenzy. Mullen waited because he had to wait. Florida and Tennessee both slow played him. Worked out for him, because I think Florida was his obvious preference.

Last edited:
I don't think we would whip either of them but I think we would be competitive. Big 12 = no defense. We play defense, that would be a favorable match up for us.

Pruitt would get out coached by every Big 12 coach. Top to bottom the Big 12 has better coaches

Don't forget Jeff Brohm. His record last season was 6-7 and his record this season was 4-8 making 10-15 overall the last two seasons. Personally, I'm beyond glad we didn't hire him. I still remember Jimmy Hyams stating on television the Brohm hire was a done deal.....thank goodness Hyams was wrong (again).
Hyams is such a friggin idiot. He's an embarrassment to Tennessee media.

Just like we say about Pruitt, let’s not get too excited about two years. We will know a lot more about both after 5 years. Our 5 and 7 win seasons and Mullen’s 10 win seasons may not amount to much over a 5+ year span. I still don’t think FL 10 wins are that big of a deal. Outside of Auburn have they really upset any elite teams?

The only 2 teams they lost to are currently playing in the SEC Championship game and are ranked 1 and 4 respectively in the football playoff ranking. So yeah, Mullen did pretty well this year with a back up QB

I think he wanted a good UT offer and was inclined to accept. There were several days when Mullen's name was barely mentioned in the Florida search, while the other two were hotly hyped into a near frenzy. Mullen waited because he had to wait. Florida and Tennessee both slow played him. Worked out for him, because I think Florida was his obvious preference.
They were holding out for Kelly or Frost...never a mystery. Also not a mystery that they had the luxury of their third choice willing to wait for them. House money thing.

Im too lazy to do it myself, but It would be interesting to see these respective teams records the prior two years before the new coaches took place.

VN Store

Back