Exactly what we needed to see

JG's passing was way off against Vandy. A couple of good throws - the TD was one, but for the most part, the receivers were having to jump, or the ball was behind them. He still can't get that lateral throw anywhere close. He did a good job at the fumble recovery and a first down run. Not his better night, but that's JG.
He's certainly frustrating sometimes but you hit the nail on the head, him diving into that pile with a broke hand was big. He also made a couple of drive saving 3rd down throws to keep the clock running. Didn't really matter though as that game was over once we went up 2 scores, Defense was dominating all night. We beat them the same way Ga beat Ky in the rain.

6/17 for 120 yards and a TD after the INT? We won on our run game. JG played a horrid game through the air. Just because we win doesn’t mean he played well. He will not be our starter next season by game 4, and there’s a strong chance he won’t start at the beginning of the season.

He shouldn't start but predict he will.he is most likely a very good practice player. He just cannot handle the pressure of the game.

He shouldn't start but predict he will.he is most likely a very good practice player. He just cannot handle the pressure of the game.
He's been fine, if not great, the last half of the season. He's proven himself. Judging him on his passing performance in a game played in the rain is stupid. Jake Fromm played in the rain against Kentucky and only had 35 yards passing. Hell, Casey Clausen couldn't get a clean snap from under center in the rain against Florida (apologies for bringing up a horrible memory). He just needed to manage the game, avoid fumbles, and keep the chains moving on manageable 3rd downs. He did that.

Reactions: ptcarter
He's been fine, if not great, the last half of the season. He's proven himself. Judging him on his passing performance in a game played in the rain is stupid.

Almost as stupid as judging him in 1 game against a Mizzou team that hadn’t won a game since early October and calling his play “great”....

Almost as stupid as judging him in 1 game against a Mizzou team that hadn’t won a game since early October and calling his play “great”....
It was a top 10 defense and one of the better pass defenses. They can't help if their offense sucked. He did play great...your hate is just too strong. And me saying he played great...I clearly said "the last half of the season" and not just the Missouri game. Read better dude.

So since it was raining some people think he should have thrown 400,yards again?
Not 400 yards, but maybe not throwing a pick deep in own territory giving candy free points at the start of the game. Also he was holding the ball forever at the start of the game

As they should have.

Running to set up the pass is allowed

Given how good this OLine should be next season and given that Gray is poised to become a stud with two experienced and talented Seniors complimenting him, the run game could be outstanding next season. If it is, Guarantano could be one of the best QBs in the SEC. Being in his 2nd year in Chaney's system should help tremendously. Remember, this is the first time he'll have the same OC in back to back seasons. His growth during the 2nd half of the season has to be partially a result of simply getting more comfortable with Chaney. And vice-versa.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Most of this year I have felt like JG was a frontrunner i.e. when things are going well he can keep it going well but when things are bad he can’t handle adversity within the game.

What happened yesterday with the poor start of 0/7 with a pick was exactly what we needed to see. We needed to see him be able to fight thru a bad start and find a way to play well. He did just that and that’s something many of us didn’t think he could do.

Im so glad he didn’t play well from the start and now we can see can overcome a bad start, something we had never seen from him before

He has a real shot at being damn good next year! Excited to say the least

Wow. I don’t know how I could possibly disagree any more than you in this. I’m hoping we never see this dude take the field again after this season. And you’re optimistic about his future here?

Wow. I don’t know how I could possibly disagree any more than you in this. I’m hoping we never see this dude take the field again after this season. And you’re optimistic about his future here?
Thats like saying people are incapable of improving. Im optimistic about him progressing next year and taking at least a sizable leap because it will be the first year that he has had an OC for more than 1 year as hes already played for 4 in college in 4 years. Hopefully he wont think too much and just play and let the ball go next season. This season hasn't gone the way anyone thought it would go with him (himself included), but we definitely dont get 7 wins without him.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I'm giving JG a pass on his ability to pass, or lack thereof, in this game. At times, the wind was howling, let alone the wet conditions. We overcame to win the game. GBO!!!

No need to argue with me. JMO and I'm entitled to it.

No Sara! I'm gonna ar ar argue 😬😬😬😬😬!
JG aint...blah blah blah blah blah
Brian Maurer blah blah blah freshman blah blah Eric Gray blah blah Ty Chandler can't break tackles blah blah defense blah blah need more polynesians blah blah Harrison Bailey.

I was at the Vandy game. While it did rain some during the game...it was definitely not a downpour and there wasn’t much wind. The game isn’t played with ONE football anymore, so I don’t think the rain was a huge factor.

I don’t think JG is a great quarterback. I also don’t think he is terrible. He shows signs of having everything he would need to be great and signs of being lost out there. I am still hopeful that another year with great coaching will help him improve.

However, he should not have thrown any more in this game. We took a 2 TD lead early, and Vandy’s offense wasn’t able to move the ball against our defense. Our running game was consistently picking up yardage. The obvious winning strategy here is to run the ball and eat as much clock as you can on offense and trust your defense. I doubt it would have looked a lot different on a sunny 70 degree perfect weather day. The weather had a minor effect on the run/pass ratio, a coach who knows how to win had a pretty major one. You shorten the game and minimize your chances of mistakes. Good strategy and a good if not flashy (with the exception of Gray) win.

You can’t win a game in the first few minutes, but you can certainly lose one - Coach Rick Barnes
Sadly, a start like that will never propel us to beat the likes of Florida Georgia and bama

VN Store

Back