Schiano close to deal with Rutgers

Reports are they don't want Jones (who does) and they have their eyes set upon Jeff Hafley, who hasn't even been at OSU a year, and has totally transformed that defense into #1 in the country.... Don't see that happening though as that would be foolish on his part. Backup plans are a Michigan assistant and NFL coach.

Reports are they don't want Jones (who does) and they have their eyes set upon Jeff Hafley, who hasn't even been at OSU a year, and has totally transformed that defense into #1 in the country.... Don't see that happening though as that would be foolish on his part. Backup plans are a Michigan assistant and NFL coach.
There can't be a whole lot of coaches who want to coach at Rutgers

Reactions: MAD
Rutgers' athletic department is disaster from from all accounts;I don't see them landing a decent coach with their current AD. Schiano was the best they seemed to be able to get, and that was only because he wanted to coach knowing that he'd be walking into a dumpster fire.

Rutgers football boosters say Pat Hobbs is to blame for breakdown in Greg Schiano deal
Rutgers needs to call East Carolina head coach Mike Houston and Charlotte head coach Brad Lambert. They would be good hired for Rutgers.

Reactions: MAD
Rutgers needs to call East Carolina head coach Mike Houston and Charlotte head coach Brad Lambert. They would be good hired for Rutgers.

Neither have any coaching ties to NJ or the north east. Rutgers is a difficult place to recruit to on the best day, and if the coach isn't maximizing their in-state talent gets, then it's all the more harder to put together a half-way decent class.

They either have to throw the checkbook at a coach who can recruit nationally, or they have to get someone who can recruit the north east and NJ in particular since it actually produces a fair amount of talent.

I heard it was more about what RU would committ in facilities improvements.

I heard that as well. It’s Rutgers and they offered you $32 million. It’s not like everyone wants Schianno to come coach for them. He doesn’t have a whole lot of options. Why not just take a 8 off the top and use that to build a facility? 8 for $24 instead.

Reactions: sport3500
I got a sneaking suspicion that Butch is about to go to Arky to be honest.

My daughter is a freshman at Arkansas. Don't put that evil on her.

Lmao sorry man.......just to elaborate....I'm not necessarily saying as HC. It could be as an OC or other coordinator, which would be a smart move in my opinion. If they get a good hire like they are thinkiing they will with a Gus Malzahn, Kiffin, or Petrino he could go in there and ride coattails for a few years, churn out some good recruiting for them, he stays relevant in the SEC and probably gets a shot sooner at a decent caliber HC job quicker than he would trying to rebuild the Rutgers dumpster fire.

here is th Hawgbeat from yesterday.....they definitely have pie in the sky aspirations.......

HawgBeat - Arkansas 2019 Coaching Search: Making the case for, against Gus Malzahn

Reactions: savannahfan
Schiano got greedy. He had insane salary demands with all kinds of perks on par with a successful head coach at Ohio State, Michigan, or Penn State.

Further reiterates that we saved this program by protesting his potential hire. He seems much more interested in enriching himself than running a championship football program. He would've been yet another coach that we would've had to have paid $20 million to leave after a few years.

If mr wonderful didn’t get it Butch ain’t either

Imo Butch just goes to interviews to keep Tennessee from legally cutting him off

Reactions: savannahfan
I got a sneaking suspicion that Butch is about to go to Arky to be honest.

I don't think Power 5 schools will seriously consider Jones as a HC again. To me, he doesn't have the resume and his cliche-filled chatter won't be blindly accepted again like it was for a while here. His experience at UT followed by his choice to be (and to remain) purposefully underemployed at Alabama may close the door for him at the P5 level. I doubt he will even get a P5 assistant's spot. It's back to the mid-majors is my guess.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Neither have any coaching ties to NJ or the north east. Rutgers is a difficult place to recruit to on the best day, and if the coach isn't maximizing their in-state talent gets, then it's all the more harder to put together a half-way decent class.

They either have to throw the checkbook at a coach who can recruit nationally, or they have to get someone who can recruit the north east and NJ in particular since it actually produces a fair amount of talent.
I'm not sure how in the world Rutgers competes with their Big Ten rivals for the in-state 4-stars. They'll either have to recruit nationally or be a "do more with less" program somehow, kind of like Baylor. Baylor is located in a prime recruiting area and is a competitive team when they don't have rape scandals, but never lands top recruiting classes. Briles's classes were always in the 20s or so nationally, and always behind upper crust Big 12 teams.

I don't think Power 5 schools will seriously consider Jones as a HC again. To me, he doesn't have the resume and his cliche-filled chatter won't be blindly accepted again like it was for a while here. His experience at UT followed by his choice to be (and to remain) purposefully underemployed at Alabama may close the door for him at the P5 level. I doubt he will even get a P5 assistant's spot. It's back to the mid-majors is my guess.
I think any P5 AD would be crazy to hire him, even one at a smaller school with low expectations. I wouldn't hire him as an OC for any P5 job either. His ceiling at the P5 level, especially at a big school, should be as some kind of offensive assistant (WRs, RBs, etc.), because he probably could help with recruiting.

If he wants to be a HC again, he needs to go back to an upper midwest G5 school or FCS.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Will Muschamp got a job. He'll take a job as soon as the TN checks stop rolling in. The most success TN has had in a decade were under him. He did good at Cincy and Central Michigan. He's not walking into a good job, but someone like Indianna or so could take a pass at him and be pretty happy.

Will Muschamp got a job. He'll take a job as soon as the TN checks stop rolling in. The most success TN has had in a decade were under him. He did good at Cincy and Central Michigan. He's not walking into a good job, but someone like Indianna or so could take a pass at him and be pretty happy.
Yeah and then left the place in worse shape than a Motley Crew hotel room.

He's a good tshirt salesman but that even drops off after the curtain gets pulled back.

VN Store

Back