Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Agree totally, and that was the first thing I thought when I saw the story.

BTW, it is Indiana University (IU, not U of I). The LVs used to play Purdue a lot --- don't know which side stopped that.

Thank you.

I didn’t get home in time to see the game, but I noticed that Indiana smacked Florida down 73-48 last night.

I want the Hoosiers on our schedule!!!

Texas never recovered from Gail Goestenkors leaving in 2012
Gail never fully embraced recruiting the State of Texas. Travis Mays was well known and received by HS programs around the State. This opened the door for A&M and Baylor to fill the void. Why Oklahoma (and Tech) didn't take advantage of this blunder is baffling. That's Sherri for ya.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
ND gave up 25 in the firs quarter to Michigan. Really having a tough time defensively. They seem to be in for a long year. Not seeing much, if any, improvement so far.

They finally woke up and came to play. Coming down to the wire. ND up 71-67

Last edited:
Gail never fully embraced recruiting the State of Texas. Travis Mays was well known and received by HS programs around the State. This opened the door for A&M and Baylor to fill the void. Why Oklahoma (and Tech) didn't take advantage of this blunder is baffling. That's Sherri for ya.

I truly believe that Gail’s heart was broken by Duke and that she likely never was fully on board emotionally with coaching anywhere else. She only left Duke — where she was wildly successful — because she felt she had no choice but to go after Duke showed absolutely zero support or appreciation for what she’d done there after Texas made their play for her.

Texas went after Goestenkors hard, and all Duke likely had to do to keep her there is give her an extra hundred dollars a year and a gourmet dinner somewhere. But what did the Duke AD do instead of even telling her they’d love for her to stay? He came out with a brief statement like, “We wish Coach Goestenkors well.”

I mean, SERIOUSLY??? They made no move AT ALL to keep her there, even though it wouldn’t have taken much at all to keep her where she so obviously loved being. Duke has never been thecsame, and neither has Duke. And it’s 100% that stupid AD’s fault.

I truly believe that Gail’s heart was broken by Duke and that she likely never was fully on board emotionally with coaching anywhere else. She only left Duke — where she was wildly successful — because she felt she had no choice but to go after Duke showed absolutely zero support or appreciation for what she’d done there after Texas made their play for her.

Texas went after Goestenkors hard, and all Duke likely had to do to keep her there is give her an extra hundred dollars a year and a gourmet dinner somewhere. But what did the Duke AD do instead of even telling her they’d love for her to stay? He came out with a brief statement like, “We wish Coach Goestenkors well.”

I mean, SERIOUSLY??? They made no move AT ALL to keep her there, even though it wouldn’t have taken much at all to keep her where she so obviously loved being. Duke has never been thecsame, and neither has Duke. And it’s 100% that stupid AD’s fault.
ADs can be tards. I glad La Tech insulted Kim Mulkey with a weak contract offer.

Yes, I couldn’t believe it when LaTech did that. Kim LOVED Tech — probably still does — but that disrespect was too much for her. I hated that she had to go, but Baylor sure got a good one because of it.
I've often wondered what she could have done at Tech... but glad I never found out. We were blessed to have Sonja Hogg here when all of that went down.

Remember Pat, Duke student section, and the Walmart bags? Don’t remember the student (yes, I actually do and PLEASE don’t help me by posting her name here), but I certainly remember how totally classless the Duke students were (and doing this is relatively common among teenagers, not right, but their brains don’t always “function”). Pat was beyond furious. She threatened to never play Duke again, very bad look for Duke as a university. I believe they apologized and promised something like that would never be allowed to continue (condoned) again on the university grounds. Someone who is positive of the facts, correct me if I’m wrong on any of this. Bottom line......there is a good chance every team in the nation has a kid who has done this, most aren’t caught (only do it one time usually), and the ones who are caught it is sort of “buried”...no reason to mess a kid up when usually there is no way they will repeat it, especially after being caught! There’s a big difference between one occasion of stupidity and a continuous pattern of behavior. Jmo GBO!

And

A student athlete answers to the university, and she has. A tv station publishing her name and picture, unless they do that to EVERY kid in the same situation (their sons and daughters especially) , is just WRONG.

And

OK, people. I just called wate “news on your side“ and left a message about a concern. A local tv station has reported and posted a picture of a young person (maybe 18 year old) over a shoplifting incident. This has already been handled, and if the person has no more issues for 11 months and 29 days, it is to be expunged. How can it truly be “expunged “ when her name and face are being plastered all over by a tv station? Shoplifting happens among teen agers (usually a one time thing), so why hold one particular teen ager up to public humiliation and not all? This is not news. This is disgusting! I think Don Dare should do a report abut this tv station and requested that be done. I wish people would inundate the station’s call line and hold them to task. Maybe they should research, find all the children of wate employees who have done this - and been caught, and print those stories AND THE PICTURES of the kids. I think it is the picture that really lit me...that was so unnecessary.

tv phone number: 865-637-6666 I think ext. 5 for concerns

Flame away if you are a hater. I’m not changing my opinion.

OR, BETTER YET, MODS JUST DELETE ALL POSTS REFERRING TO THIS TOPIC.

At age 18 Horstan is legally an adult and enjoys no juvenile privilege. The fact that she is also a scholarship student and a member of a legendary Tennessee WBB team makes it newsworthy. The other question raised is what are the odds that this was her first "mistake when any earlier ones would have been handled as a juvenile?"

However, she has owned up to it and accepted her punishment. Hopefully that will be the end of it.

Reactions: mcannon1

Some here, and probably you, lvocd, will remember that Coach Goestenkors had a lengthy talk with The Great One before deciding to move to Texas. Of course, the encyclopedic, Marie Cornelius is one who can really shed light on that, and so many such stories; and there are surely others from this board; but, as I recall, Coach Summitt was wisely hands-off, willing only to lay out the potential good, and the bad scenarios.
I agree with you, BTW, that she'd have much preferred to stay at Duke.

Goestenkors had put Duke on the map and in the elite of women's basketball. Duke gave her no choice but to leave. They were paying the men's coach an astronomical salary and were not even willing to give her a minimal boost in pay. I thought Texas was a good move for her thought she would get the talent easily and build a powerhouse there. The fact she failed there was surprising and she never looked like her heart was in the move. I think she had no choice but to leave Duke probably needed an option that she actually cared about.

Reactions: lvocd
A few decent games up today with number one Oregon at 17 Syracuse. Number 20 Arkansas at California. Oregon game at 3 central and Arkansas at 4 central. SC is playing Clemson now.

Reactions: VolBall09
A few decent games up today with number one Oregon at 17 Syracuse. Number 20 Arkansas at California. Oregon game at 3 central and Arkansas at 4 central. SC is playing Clemson now.

South Carolina up 18-5 on Clemson. The guards for Clemson are slow and have horrendous ball handling. This will be a blowout. Clemson’s offensive timing is bad too. The announcer said they’re implementing lots of new players. It looks like it.

Neither team is ranked at this point but I think the Rutgers/LSU game will be pretty good as well. Rutgers is receiving votes and seems to be on the rise.

OSU had the open shots got to the free throw line failed to make the shots. Very poor FG percentage and like the Lady Vols can't make a free throw.

VN Store

Back