Fulmer Responds to Geno

If it would bring us national championships, "back stab" away. Signed, most of Volnation. Always remember!
If one compares Fulmer's average recruiting ranking to his average finish in the polls one can make a good case that he, while successful, badly underachieved with the talent at his disposal.

So you oppose Solomon’s transfer and agree with then NCAA denying Uros?
Read what I wrote!! I believe a kid should stick to his or her word when signing the letter of intent/ contract. Don’t care if it’s with us or not. A graduate transfer, I could see some leniency!!

Reactions: creekdipper
If one compares Fulmer's average recruiting ranking to his average finish in the polls one can make a good case that he, while successful, badly underachieved with the talent at his disposal.
Yet he is still the only coach at UT in most of our lifetimes to win a national championship!

fulmer was a "one unlucky arky stumble and a 3rd string Fsu qb in the bowl game NC game winner". After that. his luck ran out and he ruined the football program that Johnny built for him to steal.

I'd start with our very own Pat, although I believe we've had titles in Track, Swimming, and some other sports.

If this were the football forum, it would be safe to assume we were confin8ng the discussion to that sport. And to coaches who have won titles at TENN and not elsewhere, such as Majors.

Note Creekdog's response above in which he put in the qualifier "in football." Nearly everyone here would automatically agree without hesitation.

I know it's the Lady Vols forum. I responded to a post about Fulmer and football in this thread. My question was concerning football only; that's what I think.
It is clear from the responses that you received that it wasn't very clear to either me or a number of other posters here that you were talking about "football only". It's hard to read someone's mind through a message board.

Jim

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Read what I wrote!! I believe a kid should stick to his or her word when signing the letter of intent/ contract. Don’t care if it’s with us or not. A graduate transfer, I could see some leniency!!

It might be useful to understand the contractual agreement enacted by a letter of Intent:

A Letter of Intent is a legally-binding contract which says that you will attend that college for a minimum of 1 academic year in exchange for an athletic scholarship. Once you sign a LOI, the recruiting process is over. No other college is allowed to recruit you. You can change your mind and go to a different college, but there are penalties for this.

What Does the Letter of Intent Promise?

The LOI says how much scholarship money you will receive in exchange for attending the college for 1 academic year (not one season). The Letter of Intent does NOT promise:

• That you will get a spot on the team or compete
  • That your scholarship will be renewed the next year

So, as you see, the LOI gives the university a fair degree of latitude including not renewing an athlete's scholarship. That option actually gets utilized a fair amount in secondary sports like T&F but not so much in D1 basketball.

As for the player his/her word, once they fulfill a season of eligibility as Freshman, their word has been "kept."

Per graduate transfers, there is no need or call for leniency. The NCAA has a clear set of criteria that a student must meet to qualify and if so, they can play for another school while pursuing a grad degree.

Reactions: lvocd
It might be useful to understand the contractual agreement enacted by a letter of Intent:

A Letter of Intent is a legally-binding contract which says that you will attend that college for a minimum of 1 academic year in exchange for an athletic scholarship. Once you sign a LOI, the recruiting process is over. No other college is allowed to recruit you. You can change your mind and go to a different college, but there are penalties for this.

What Does the Letter of Intent Promise?

The LOI says how much scholarship money you will receive in exchange for attending the college for 1 academic year (not one season). The Letter of Intent does NOT promise:
  • That you will get a spot on the team or compete
  • That your scholarship will be renewed the next year

So, as you see, the LOI gives the university a fair degree of latitude including not renewing an athlete's scholarship. That option actually gets utilized a fair amount in secondary sports like T&F but not so much in D1 basketball.

As for the player his/her word, once they fulfill a season of eligibility as Freshman, their word has been "kept."

Per graduate transfers, there is no need or call for leniency. The NCAA has a clear set of criteria that a student must meet to qualify and if so, they can play for another school while pursuing a grad degree.

I thought this was changed for power 5 schools?

College sports: Scholarships not four-year guarantees

I remember them discussing or changing this rule for the bigger schools. Then I read this ... don’t read the title keep reading til the end of the article. It’s all sort of confusing but I thought I remember the SEC adopting the 4 year scholarship for athletes.

I thought this was changed for power 5 schools?

College sports: Scholarships not four-year guarantees

I remember them discussing or changing this rule for the bigger schools. Then I read this ... don’t read the title keep reading til the end of the article. It’s all sort of confusing but I thought I remember the SEC adopting the 4 year scholarship for athletes.

You are right. The new rule does not allow a scholarship to be taken away strictly for athletic performance.

Upon further research:

Cancellation or non-renewal IS possible if an athlete:
  • Is ruled to be ineligible for competition;
  • Provides fraudulent information on an application, letter of intent, or financial aid agreement;
  • Engages in serious misconduct that rises to the level of being disciplined by the university’s regular student disciplinary board;
  • Voluntarily quits their team; or
  • Violates a university policy or rule which is not related to athletic conditions or ability (such as a university policy on class attendance, or an athletic department policy regarding proper conduct on a team trip).

You are right. The new rule does not allow a scholarship to be taken away strictly for athletic performance.

Upon further research:

Cancellation or non-renewal IS possible if an athlete:
  • Is ruled to be ineligible for competition;
  • Provides fraudulent information on an application, letter of intent, or financial aid agreement;
  • Engages in serious misconduct that rises to the level of being disciplined by the university’s regular student disciplinary board;
  • Voluntarily quits their team; or
  • Violates a university policy or rule which is not related to athletic conditions or ability (such as a university policy on class attendance, or an athletic department policy regarding proper conduct on a team trip).

👍

VN Store

Back