Playoff

BigOrangeAl 1979

I think it’s going to be LSU, Clemson , Ohio St and Bama. I think the committee will put a 11-1 Bama over a one loss Conference champ Oklahoma and Oregon. You guys thoughts ?

I think it’s going to be LSU, Clemson , Ohio St and Bama. I think the committee will put a 11-1 Bama over a one loss Conference champ Oklahoma and Oregon. You guys thoughts ?

Depends on who wins the PSU/OSU game and if Minnesota stays undefeated. But yes, Bama gets in on name recognition with a good loss and no quality wins. I don't agree with it, but that is how the committee will see it.

Now if Georgia wins the SEC I would figure Bama would get left out cause they would take a 12-1 LSU but who knows.

I don't think Bama gets in over one-loss Oklahoma. It would really help Bama if OU and Baylor split the two games it looks like they're going to play.

Maybe Oregon, only because the Pac 12 sucks and Alabama will have a win over the team that gave Oregon their one loss. But I wouldn't count on it.

Now if Georgia wins the SEC I would figure Bama would get left out cause they would take a 12-1 LSU but who knows.
If they took Bama over LSU in the event that UGA wins the SEC, there would be a major uproar. I would be pissed for LSU. 4 top 10 wins for LSU compared to 0 or 1 for Bama if they beat Auburn if theyre top 10. It shouldnt even be close and would be a no brainer, IMO.

Reactions: Nerwen Aldarion
I hope OU runs up the score on Baylor and the committee has no choice but to leave the elephants out.

I don't think Bama gets in over one-loss Oklahoma. It would really help Bama if OU and Baylor split the two games it looks like they're going to play.

Maybe Oregon, only because the Pac 12 sucks and Alabama will have a win over the team that gave Oregon their one loss. But I wouldn't count on it.
You really need Auburn to beat Georgia. In 2011 and 2017, a one loss Alabama (who didn't win the SEC West) had the strength of schedule on their side. You don't have any impressive wins so far. NONE. And your schedule has no depth to it. Tennessee is probably the 2nd best team you have beaten so far. Think about that for a second.

If everything goes as is expected, I agree. Bama losing close might’ve been the best thing for them. They avoid the SEC Championship and slide right into the playoff. Now if LSU had beaten them by 20 or so, then probably not.

You really need Auburn to beat Georgia. In 2011 and 2017, a one loss Alabama (who didn't win the SEC West) had the strength of schedule on their side.

Nah, UGA-Auburn is irrelevant. A 3-loss Auburn team isn't fundamentally more impressive than a 4-loss Auburn team. Bama needs UGA to lose the SECCG. If they win, nothing else will matter.

And really, our 2017 SOS wasn't that great, either. Mississippi State was a little bit better than this year, but that's about it, honestly. Otherwise you simply swap LSU and Auburn.

A undefeated Baylor possibly being left out for 1 loss Bama who played a weak schedule would be a travesty. But we know what this about though and it’s money and politics. ESPN and the committee would much rather have the Bama name brand in the playoff than Baylor its BS.

Reactions: BUBear
We just need a 8 team playoff with 8 teams you could have all your conference champions and 3 at large teams

Nah. Four is the right number. We just need the Big XII to acknowledge reality and disband. Then the four conference champs can go to the playoff. For the 8 team proponents, the conference title games will act as a de facto quarterfinal.

Nah, UGA-Auburn is irrelevant. A 3-loss Auburn team isn't fundamentally more impressive than a 4-loss Auburn team. Bama needs UGA to lose the SECCG. If they win, nothing else will matter.

And really, our 2017 SOS wasn't that great, either. Mississippi State was a little bit better than this year, but that's about it, honestly. Otherwise you simply swap LSU and Auburn.
...but if Georgia already has a second loss, that is a game changer. I don't think a two loss team gets in, even as the SEC Champion. I disagree. It helps you tremendously, and for more than one reason, for Auburn to beat Georgia (or possibly Texas A&M, but that is in Athens and much less likely). You need Georgia out of the picture.

...but if Georgia already has a second loss, that is a game changer. I don't think a two loss team gets in, even as the SEC Champion. I disagree. It helps you tremendously, and for more than one reason, for Auburn to beat Georgia (or possibly Texas A&M, but that is in Athens and much less likely). You need Georgia out of the picture.
It wouldn’t shock me at all to see Georgia run the table and win the SEC to get into the playoff. Their defense is playing at a elite level

Reactions: BowlBrother85
A undefeated Baylor possibly being left out for 1 loss Bama who played a weak schedule would be a travesty. But we know what this about though and it’s money and politics. ESPN and the committee would much rather have the Bama name brand in the playoff than Baylor its BS.
An undefeated team, from a power 5 conference, will never be left out of the playoff.

It wouldn't surprise me either. I think Georgia will match up well with LSU.
They will match up quite well. Coach O will screw one game up at least before the season is over I think. I could def see LSU laying a egg against a hungry Georgia team in the SEC title game but they would still get in the playoff regardless at 12-1.

Well, I suppose the argument could be made that a 2-loss SEC champ UGA would still be left out, so Bama and LSU, neither of whom won conference, could both make the CFP. If that's what you're saying, I agree.

Well, I suppose the argument could be made that a 2-loss SEC champ UGA would still be left out, so Bama and LSU, neither of whom won conference, could both make the CFP. If that's what you're saying, I agree.
Basically, yes. Two teams from the SEC can get in, but not three. Clearly, the worst case scenario for Alabama is for LSU to finish the regular season 12-0, and for Georgia to finish 11-1, and then for Georgia to win the SEC Championship Game.

VN Store

Back